Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2018 Winter in Texas

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
TRock
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: 2018 Winter in Texas

Post by TRock » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Enjoyed the pictures...Be safe on the return trip.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 pm

all in all, its been a good trip .... while we are looking forward to getting back home, we still hate that this trip is rapidly coming to an end
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 am

Take care now. Have a pleasant trip home, my friend.
Mike
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 am

The Wiz wrote:Take care now. Have a pleasant trip home, my friend.
Mike
concern appreciated ..... looking forward to linking up again when you get back down to our area
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:10 pm

hate it but pack-up day has arrived .... everything outside except the utility hookups and cleaning the black tank have been taken care of .... most everything inside the camper that needs to be buttoned up has been taken care of .... completely filled the truck's fuel tanks for the first time in 1349.9 miles, best guess 40% towing .... she averaged 9.8 mpg over that distance .... we've learn to figure expenses based on averaging approximately 10 mpg so we are pretty much on target .... tomorrow's drive back to Baton Rouge KOA should take 4 to 5 hrs
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm

today's drive covered 322.5 miles in 6 hr 27 min ... not looking forward to seeing what the truck's fuel mileage was because we had a quartering headwind every inch of the way .... during our 3 weeks at Lake Conroe we drove 329.6 non towing miles .... they are working on long stretches of I-10 in both Texas and Louisiana and it really needs it in both states .... in the last few days temperatures have fallen considerably .... they are calling for it to get down to 38 tonight and even lower each of the next 3 nights while we are in Florida and Georgia ... guess its time to dig out the electric heaters

Note to Self : when towing through unfamiliar territory make sure to reset our GPS's Navigation Calculation Mode to Fastest Time .... having it set on Shortest Distance can take you through "interesting" places .... example, you can get to see areas of Baton Rouge where it is difficult to keep your rig between the very narrow lines ..
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:48 pm

heck of a day's drive .... some may have heard of the horrendous bus wreck that happened today on I-10 in Alabama ===> https://www.news4jax.com/news/bus-carry ... ama-ravine .... they justifiably closed I-10 and forced all traffic to exit .... from that point on, things went down hill in a hurry .... other than to block subsequent interstate entrances, no form of info was given to the thousands of drivers trying to find their way around the closed section .... it was strictly everyone for themselves .... as frustration grew some aggressive drivers lost it .... as but one example : we were somewhere on a 4 lane divided highway when the line started turning left .... with so many rigs cutting through an opening in the median and across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic .... vehicles trying to cut across that opening and make a left to get into our lanes, where really having trouble finding an opening .... as we sat there waiting to turn left, I saw a Chevy pickup shoot out of the side road, cross the opening and turn left into our lane .... a second vehicle tried to follow him and was T-boned by a semi running full speed ..... they hit 10 - 15 yards from us, the impact was fierce .... the air bags deployed in the small car, I'll be surprised it the driver was able to walk away .... my first reaction was to try and pull over to go help but well before I could do so a bunch of people were out of their vehicles and helping .... the sad thing is, when we did get back to I-10 the entrance was blocked so we had to turn around (not easy in the space available) find another route .... I didn't get far until I saw a sign for a campground ... when I turned, a half dozen rigs followed ..Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes:.. guess they figured/hoped I knew where I was going .... most definitely an erroneous assumption .... between me working with our Garmin and my wife with her state map, we eventually made our way back onto I-10 .... I didn't check the time but doing so had to take us at least 45 minutes, best guess from the emergency vehicles we saw along the way, we are pretty sure there had to be at least 4 wrecks along the way (behind us) .... it took us 5 hrs and 28 min to cover the 291 miles from our last campground .... we are now setup in Holt, Fla at Eagles Landing .... tomorrow on to Dalton, GA
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm

I have not heard about that. But, it does seem like a mess. That is the down side of driving. At times, I thinking about traveling at night to avoid traffic. Yet, I like the idea of more services being available during the day. I guess both have their pluses and minuses.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 pm

on the fun side, we baked the pineapple cake shown below in our Dutch Oven after arriving at Eagle's Landing .... its for a family gathering that we have scheduled on Thursday ....
Attachments
180313 001 at Holt TX for Douglas 001.jpg
180313 001 at Holt TX for Douglas 001.jpg (67.74 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am

if all goes as planned, this is our final pack-up morning for this trip ..... hate it in a way but at the same time, looking forward to turning the next page .... today's drive from Douglas, GA to our home in NC is slated to be the longest of the trip .... about half way we do have plans to meet friends who live near Charleston, SC for lunch which should help breakup the drive (4 hours before lunch, 3.5 hrs after lunch) ....
1 x