Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2018 Winter in Texas

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

2018 Winter in Texas

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm

our itinerary for this year's winter in Texas is as follows .... should any forum members happen to be in any of the areas we plan to visit we would be delighted to link up ....

1-11-18 ... Home to Heritage RV Park, Augusta, Ga (http://www.heritagervpark.com/) .... projected 282 miles / 4 hr 14 min .... reserved on 12-14-17

1-12-18 ... Augusta to Sherling Lake RV Park, Greenville, AL (http://www.greenville-alabama.com/Defau ... rling+Lake) .... projected 339 mi / 4 h 46 min .... reserved on 12-14-17

1-13-18 ... Greenville to Baton Rouge KOA, Denham Springs, LA (https://koa.com/campgrounds/baton-rouge/) ..... projected 314 mi / 4 h 26 min ... . reserved on 10-15-07

1-14-18 ... Denham Springs to Thousand Trails Lake Conroe, Willis Tx (https://www.thousandtrails.com/texas/la ... ng-resort/) .... 294 mi / projected 4 h 46 min

1-14-18 to 1-29-18 ... at Thousand Trails Lake Conroe Campground

1-29-18 ... Willis to Thousand Trails Colorado River Campground, Columbus, TX (https://www.thousandtrails.com/texas/co ... ampground/) .... projected 117 mi / 1 h 45 min

1-29-18 to 2-19-18 ... at Thousand Trails Colorado River Campground .... at this point we will be the furthest west .... projected 1,349 miles / 19 h 57 min from home .... historically supplementary running around adds hundreds of additional miles

2-19-18 ... back to Thousand Trails Lake Conroe Campground .... projected 117 mi / 1 h 45 min

2-19-18 to 3-12-17 ... at Thousand Trails Lake Conroe Campground

3-12-18 ....Lake Conroe.. to to Baton Rouge KOA, Denham Springs, LA.... 294 mi / 4 h 45 min .... reservation made

3-13-18 .... Denham Springs to Eagle's Landing RV Park, Holt, Florida (http://www.eagleslandingrvpark.com/index.html) .... 271 mi / 3 h 57 min

3-14-18 .... Holt, FL to Dreamland RV Park, Douglas, Ga (https://www.dreamlandparks.com/) .... 294 mi / 4 h 34 min

3-16-18 ....Douglas, Ga to Home .... 6 h 45 min / 433 miles
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: 2018 Winter in Texas

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Happy Trails, Jim. Enjoy the winter and be safe.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Have fun.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm

day one is in the books .... no heavy rain but misty to the point that our camper and truck are as grimy from road spray as I have ever seen them .... it was 58 degrees when we pulled out of the yard and 74 when we pulled into tonight's campsite .... all in all, today'sdrive went well, 304..5 miles covered in 5 1/2 hrs ..... we filled our truck at the Latta, SC Flying J where we also filled the propane tank that we've been running off of since Thanksgiving .... light to medium light traffic today, no doubt that will end tomorrow because we have to drive through Atlanta .... the only real mechanical issue of the day came from having to pull over twice because our Pressure Pro tire monitoring system was going nuts showing high tire pressures .... we anticipated that probability because the tires were aired up during much cooler temps .... unless the temp goes way up or way down during this trip, we should be good to go .... tomorrow we gain an hour when we cross from the Eastern to the Central Time Zone .... I've already reset my Timex ... :D
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 pm

I guess someone is retired. Have fun!! That is something that I have been speaking with my wife about. But, she seems to have a hard time thinking about trading in a house for a RV/camper. I have a hard time thinking about letting a house sit for months at a time not being used. She wants a place for the grandkids to visit a few weeks out of the year. I think the grandkids would enjoy summer trips on the road. Plus, we could save for a small cabin somewhere for when we are older. Everything is going back to dust anyway. Might as well do what you can, with what you got, while you can. Traveling seems fun. Who knows, I may have enough after the first month though. But, I would not mind finding out
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

we are both retired .... I'd go full time in a heartbeat but my wife will not .... what has worked well for us for the last 10 or so years has been to spend about 6 months a year traveling .... Spring and Fall back home in NC .... summer at her home area in South Dakota .... winter in Texas .... that way we are home during the nicest parts of the year and on the road when its pretty dang hot or cold .... our daughter looks after our home while we are away, that works really well for us .... in addition, we have visited all of the lower 48 states .... one of our biggest regrets is we didn't (actually couldn't) travel more back when our kids were at home .... for us it has been a really good experience, we've met some really fine folks, made some really good friends and seen some really beautiful/interesting places
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am

NC seems nice. That is where we are thinking about relocation to. For years, we would take Summer trips to the Smokey Mountain area. Yes, it would be crowded. But, it is a very relaxing area. Interesting enough, one Christmas trip started our yearly Summer trips. We were head through Tennessee, when ice on the roads forced us to spent a night somewhere. We ended up in Gatlinburg. The town was packed. It seemed like a lot of people was spending Christmas there. It was a nice town (Christian theme everywhere). It was where my wife educated me about the artist Thomas Kinkade (there was a studio that displayed his work there). The kids enjoyed town, so we start gong to that area about every year. They are older now, but the grandkids may like it. Unfortunately, our children are not currently at a point to watch our place. One is planning to start PA school, and the other one is still finding her way. So, we figure the best plan is one that does not rely on the kids for now. That is why relocating or RV/camper seem like decent options. But, relocating seems to have the lead for now.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:53 pm

65 degrees with a heavy mist when we broke camp and left Augusta, GA this morning ..... the temp fell pretty steadily throughout the day, its 42 as this is being typed.... the mist turned to heavy rain that fell off and on during today's 5 hr, 355 mile drive .... with one exception, fairly light traffic .... the exception was going around Atlanta, enough said .... we are now in Sherling Lake Campground in Greenville. AL ===> http://www.greenville-alabama.com/Defau ... rling+Lake .... they are calling for it to get down to 29 tonight .... breaking camp in the morning is gonna be pretty dang cool .... topped off the truck's fuel tanks at a Pilot just south of Atlanta .... 8.9 mpg, the fuel we took on at Latta must have been B20 diesel .... our truck really doesn't like that blend .. :(
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 pm

day 3 .... following a 332.4 mile drive that took us 5 hrs 50 minutes we are once again setup at the Baton Rouge KOA .... at $55.70 (with our KOA discount) it is the most expensive CG we are scheduled to visit on this trip .... it is a mile off of I-12 and located at an almost perfect location that fits nicely into our daily travel limits .... its supposed to get down to 23 tonight, that's really cold for this part of the country .... while breaking camp this morning I broke our camper's Marinco 50 Amp 125V and 125/250V Power Inlet ===> https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-125V-250 ... P7TY5&th=1 .... while driving down I-12 I happened to see Steve's RV ===> http://www.stevesrv.com/ <=== and made a split second decision to exit stage right, that got my wife's attention .... not a good thing .. :? .. it turned out to be a nice mom and pop RV dealership .... I really appreciate their parts store, they had the exact replacement Power Inlet at half the price of Amazon ....the only question now is will I wire it into the camper or have a mobile tech come by and take care of it while we are at Conroe ..
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:16 am

I like south Texas. If I can get the wife out of her business this year who knows Jim I might be able to join you one day in Texas. Ive spent some time at Port Aransas and loved it. Ive also spent time on the gulf south of Houston that I liked. Happy Trails.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55