Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Road Trip

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Road Trip

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 pm

we are planning what will be a very different type of trip for us .... instead of taking our camper, we plan to travel in my wife's Camaro .... our hope is to leave home on the morning of Friday, Aug 4th and overnight in Savannah, GA .... the following morning we will drive onto Douglas, GA where we will spend the rest of Saturday and Sunday visiting with an Aunt, her children (my cousins), and their children .... I haven't seen most of them in something over 30 years .... since none of us are getting any younger, we decided to take the time and make the effort to go and see them again .... on Monday the 7th we plan to drive to Charleston, SC where we will spend the rest of the day and possibly Tuesday visiting with friends .... from there we will drive back home .... per Google Maps, the trip should cover 950 +/- miles .... it sure is different budgeting for a trip where paying for places to say will cost much more than the fuel to get there and back ... ;)
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Road Trip

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Should be fun. Enjoy and safe travels.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:44 am

Savannah GA, Charleston SC, some great southern cities right there............
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:33 am

this will be our second (and when completed will become the longest) trip in her Camaro .... its proven to be one heck of a vehicle .... it has a 330 some hp V6 that not only delivers a world of power but does so while getting 30+ MPG .... my back can't stand a harsh ride and I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the quality of its ride .... in addition, I've noticed a corresponding increase in the seat room as I've dropped 60+ lbs .. :lol: .. I'd really like to get her out on the 80 mph interstates out west but don't know if that will ever happen
Attachments
160402 002 Maureen's Camaro 002.jpg
160402 002 Maureen's Camaro 002.jpg (106.7 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
160402 002 Maureen's Camaro 001.jpg
160402 002 Maureen's Camaro 001.jpg (117.02 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:47 am

just ran the numbers (again) and per Google Maps .... without adding in any running around time or mileage this trip will cover 921 miles, taking 14 h 53 min of driving time .... our first planned stop is the Flying J on I-95, just south of the NC/SC state line at Latta, SC where (today) their posted price for gasoline is over 20 cents a gallon cheaper :D than it is around home .... the only thing I know of that remains to be done to get her Camaro ready is to check the air in the tires, vacuum the trunk, and possibly run it through the car wash
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm

we may run the Camaro through a car wash late this evening or on the way out tomorrow .... much depends on the forecast .... I've mentioned my peeve with the tires on the Camaro .... the only other thing I really don't like is GM's built in GPS .... it is a cumbersome to program and really a pain to use .... I much prefer a Garmin .... our motels and the addresses of folks we plan to visit on the way have been entered .... so, unless something unexpected comes along, we are pretty much ready to roll in the morning ....
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:08 pm

after 316 miles that took 5 hrs 46 min to cover, we are setup in the Savannah Best Western .... about an hour of that time was added due to sitting in stopped traffic due to wrecks .... a nasty one that required multiple ambulances near the 30 mile marker on I95 in NC and another at mile marker 56 in SC, both in the south bound lanes .... this Best Western is an old motel that seems to have been fairly well maintained ....$90+ per night, way too many unmentioned taxes/fees/charges that drove the price up a good bit more than we anticipated .... they include a "hot breakfast" that we will most certainly check out in the morning
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 pm

today's drive from Douglas, GA went smoothly and we are setup in the Holiday Inn Express in Charleston, SC .... this is the nicest motel we have stayed in during this trip, ought to be, its the most expensive .... per the old Holiday Inn Express advertisement, sure hope I'm smarter when I wake-up in the morning .... we had a good visit with long time friends who live here and I can tell you this, when he suggest a restaurant, we don't question, we just go .. :D .. our plan for tomorrow is to take on fuel at the Flying J at Latta (in SC just before we come to the SC/NC state line).... that will put us about half way home .... we hope to get home in the early afternoon
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 pm

well, another trip is in the books .... we covered 1023 miles while traveling through 3 states .... Maureen's Camaro ran well, showed 9,924 miles when we shut it down .... it is most definitely a vehicle that I'd have no problems taking off cross country .... with my back, that is a high compliment to its quality of ride .... we thoroughly enjoyed visiting with both relatives and good friends .... this will most definitely be my last overnight outing until after knee replacement surgery later this month .... as noted earlier, we normally travel in our camper ..... based on what we learned by taking this trip, a few more observations : in the Camaro we burned about $75 worth of gasoline .... towing our camper we would have burned about $272 worth of diesel .... motel rooms cost us about $340 .... campsites would have cost us about $105 .... we spent about $110 in restaurants, estimated food cost with the camper about $60 (based of fixing 4 mornings where staying in the motels, 2 were covered) .... in addition, we ate most meals with relatives at no expense, if we had of eaten more meals in restaurants that gap would have widened .... that's a little over $520 where if we had of taken the camper our cost would have been a little under $440 .... its hard to put a value on the comfort and convenience lost by not taking the camper; after all, none of the motels had the Western Channel on their cable service .... with the much higher cost of motel rooms if we had of stayed more nights, the gap would have quickly widened
0 x