Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Father's Day Trip

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Father's Day Trip

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am

Drove to Pcola to visit my dad and step mother for father's day. It's about fourteen hours. It used to be a one day drive. :roll:
These days we split it into two days, and still pay for the stress and strain on the old bones. ;) It was a pretty nice drive both ways, with the exception of mis-timing our drive thru Atlanta and hitting evening traffic on the way down.... and the number of idiot drivers on the road.

I have a real problem with drivers who roll up behind me, flash their lights to demand I move to the right, especially when I am moving with the flow of traffic and there are cars in a line ahead of me. Frustrated, the drivers pass on the right, zoom ahead of the line, the cut off the lead driver forcing their way in... causing a dozen cars to brake to avoid an accident. :twisted:

Or... the trucks that signal a lane change, then make it... confident that YOU will brake and make room since they are way bigger. :)

Overall though, a great trip. Miss t and I kept our idiot radar operating, and were able to avoid several potential situations that could have been bad. Most caused by aggressive drivers and/or cell phones. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Father's Day Trip

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I agree with you about problem drivers, Marine. I absolutely hate Interstates because of the eighteen wheelers and crazy passenger car drivers, so I avoid them whenever possible. When I do need to use one, I'm a right lane driver unless I want to pass or avoid cars entering from an on-ramp. I move along a tad faster than the posted speed limit and I usually have cruise control set. Sometimes someone will be doing a slower speed, but not too often. Before I retired, I had a forty-four mile commute to work, driveway to parking lot. The interstate would have saved me fifteen minutes, but I took local roads instead. It made that hour on the road so much better.

Glad you had "a great trip".
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Father's Day Trip

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 pm

We set our cruise about six or seven mph over the posted limit to avoid getting run over, but don't push traffic. We usually ride in the center lane if there are more than two, and get in the left only to pass unless traffic is thin. Then I'll ride the left, but move over for faster traffic if it appears. It's a trick I learned in street survival. The left lane gives you the median as an option, without the constant influx of threats from your right, or having to move right to pass slower drivers. (Again... only works when traffic is thin.)

I used to do most of my driving overnight, but the wife no longer cares for that practice, so we leave early, and stop early.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.