Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Spring In South Dakota

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Spring In South Dakota

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Wow I missed your camping trip. Wanna trade campers?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:29 pm

not right now .... both of the roof mounted 15K BTU air conditioners are cranking out cool air .... the roof mounted satellite dish is locked onto a strong signal, one of the Lazy Boy recliners is calling my name .... as you might be able to tell, (hopefully) our days of roughing it are gone .... :D
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Sure sorry about the hot summer weather here in MO, Jim. I've been tracking your t1ravels, and thought you might "get to participate" in about the hottest days we've had so far this summer --- and you have It settled in at a solid 90* here in KCMO "Northland" today, and tomorrow is predicted to be 93* with that good 'ole heat index (humidity) ramped up to 98*. The MO heat has probably has made it a little harder to leave that pleasant SD weather, I'm sure. On my day away today, I left PUMP at home.....just a little too hot out there for me to run those 20-ga slugs down the Parma Woods Range! :roll:

Hope you guys really enjoy your range time at Jay Henges. The MDC sure has a nice set up there from what I've seen/read on the web. I'd like to try and get there someday to shoot, too. At least I have two MDC ranges within comfortable driving distance here. Our state has done us proud in supporting the shooting sports through the MDC.

Take good care, and continued safe travel!
JEBar wrote:after 7 hrs covering 419.6 miles we are set up at the West St Louis KOA .... its hot, our outdoor thermometer shows 93 and I'd bet the humidity is even higher .... tomorrow morning we will try and find the local WalMart for some grocery shopping and tomorrow afternoon we hope to get over to Jay Henges State Park ... shortly after our arrival a couple of fellows who have become good friends came by and picked up $630 worth of South Dakota steaks .... with that delivery we sure have more space in the camper's frig ..
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:36 pm

this time of year Jay Henges range opens at 1pm on Wednesday and is open until 7:30 pm .... the shooting stations in their rifle/pistol range is shaded so that will help .... my hope is to fine tune our Henry 45-70 at 50 yards with cowboy action level ammo .... that said, once the shooting starts, our targets may well be moved to other ranges .... about 3pm we plan to move to their trap range where we will link up with 3 friends from this area .... we are going prepared to fire a couple of hundred rounds but the reality is the heat will most certainly make the determination
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm

today isn't off to a good start .... got into the truck to drive to the local Walmart only to be greeted by a PressurePro alarm .... the same off door side front tire in which we had to install a new valve stem seal last week was showing 65 psi .... pulled the slide in, used the Bigfoot auto leveling system to raise the tires off of the ground, turned the wheel to where I could put liquid soap on the base of the valve stem, and once again, bubbles .... used a Gear Wrench socket and found the nut holding the stem in place was very loose .... tightened in a bit, bubbles continued .... tightened it a bit more, bubbles still seen ..... tightened it a bit more, no bubbles .... used the compressor built into our Sportchassis to air up the tire .... screwed on the PressurePro sensor and used the Bigfoot system to relevel the camper .... now the wait begins to confirm the leak has been taken care of .... as forecasted, today's heat is oppressive .... 92 degrees with a "Real Feel" of 98 .... consequently I've decided to reduce the time spent at Jay Henges today .... I'll hold off firing our Henry rifles until sometime after I get back home and will reduce our trap shooting to four rounds (100 shells) .... if it cools down after a while I might go back over there (4 miles) and send some rounds out of our Henry 44 & 45-70 down range
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Vehicle problems in such hot weather is definitely no fun. And totally understood about the "oppressive heat" and "Real Feel" temps. Our current blistering MO weather does definitely deflate range time. :(
JEBar wrote:today isn't off to a good start .... .... as forecasted, today's heat is oppressive .... 92 degrees with a "Real Feel" of 98 .... consequently I've decided to reduce the time spent at Jay Henges today ....
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:15 pm

JEBar wrote: ..... tightened it a bit more, no bubbles .... used the compressor built into our Sportchassis to air up the tire .... screwed on the PressurePro sensor and used the Bigfoot system to relevel the camper .... now the wait begins to confirm the leak has been taken care of...
Doing the kind of traveling you do, it's no surprise that you're prepared for just about anything. Your diary is very interesting, JEBar. I love to read of your adventures. Happy Trails.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 pm

PT7 wrote:Vehicle problems in such hot weather is definitely no fun. And totally understood about the "oppressive heat" and "Real Feel" temps. Our current blistering MO weather does definitely deflate range time. :(
just got back from Jay Henges .... our group fired 100 rounds each on one of their trap ranges .... in the Mag-na-port thread I posted a picture of my shoulder .... no bruising whatsoever ... I freely admit that the heat sure pulled down my energy level ....
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:11 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Doing the kind of traveling you do, it's no surprise that you're prepared for just about anything. Your diary is very interesting, JEBar. I love to read of your adventures. Happy Trails.
kind words appreciated .... I just went out and checked, so far so good .... the tire pressure in the one with the leaking valve is dead on where it should be .. :D
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 pm

"Cool" 8-) that you got the 4 rounds of trap in today....and w/o any shoulder black/blue art deco!! Last Tuesday my plan was to shoot my PUMP and send 35-40 slugs down range at Parma Woods. I did not even have the energy to battle the +90* temp, so the shotgun stayed home in the air-conditioned gun cabinet. I bet your barrels heated up good today, too.

Last time I went to the deer hunting blind in early December, the temp had dropped into the 20s by dark. Heading over the fields and up the hill back to his house, my son-in-law and I ran into a mini-blizzard, which had just started. That was a cold hike back, but I sure do prefer those temps over this season! Also takes a little longer for a shotgun barrel to heat up in December. :lol:

Well, guess that comes with the territory as we enjoy shooting outdoors....yup, it's okay.

BTW, how did your trap rounds end up? Good scores?
Thanks for posting your "travelling" range report.

JEBar wrote:
PT7 wrote:Vehicle problems in such hot weather is definitely no fun. And totally understood about the "oppressive heat" and "Real Feel" temps. Our current blistering MO weather does definitely deflate range time. :(
just got back from Jay Henges .... our group fired 100 rounds each on one of their trap ranges .... in the Mag-na-port thread I posted a picture of my shoulder .... no bruising whatsoever ... I freely admit that the heat sure pulled down my energy level ....
0 x

~Пока~