Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2023 Estelline Trip

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 2023 Estelline Trip

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:42 pm

things around Estelline were very dry when we arrived in June .... about 2 weeks later we had a heavy rain that was reported to have come at a really good time for the local crops .... since then we've had on and off showers and the crops in the immediate are look great .... we learned this morning we had 1.2" last night .... the rain fall has varied widely in one storm a relative in De Smet had 10" while her son's place a few miles away had just over 2"
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:24 pm

I can't imagine what 10" of rain would be like, around here even over 1" is very rare. Our average yearly rain fall is only 9".
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:04 am

with the overnight temperature dropping to 54, we had to turn on the camper fireplace for a little while this morning .... its supposed to get up to 81 later today with no rain and a light 4 mph (gust to 7 mph) wind out of the southwest .... still making minor steps toward breaking camp Friday .... our flag and flag lightint has been taken down and stored .... today I hope to organize and repack the camper's basement and will most likely take down and store our outdoor cooking area
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:41 am

a weather related record was set yesterday back home .... that being the highest ever heat index of 115 .... 65 this morning in Estelline on its way to 90 later this afternoon .... the predicted high tomorrow returns to much more normal 75 .... later this morning we plan to make our last shopping trip prior to pulling out Friday morning .... we also plan to continue packing/storing items for travel
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:51 am

our last full day in Estelline has dawned and a beautiful day it is .... 57 earlier, 63 now, on its way to 75 later today .... 9 mph wind out of the NNW, gusting to 17 mph .... no rain .... today will be a busy one that will include disassembling and storing our camper deck, removing/recharging/storing a water softener, a good bit of laundry, etc, etc, etc, etc ....
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:56 pm

It's another hot one here in Texas. Have a safe journey back home!
Jake
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:19 am

we are up and at it .... very little left to be done outside where its 52 degrees .... once slides are in I do have to replace a couple of tire pressure sensors and check the air pressure on all 10 tires .... that shouldn't take much time but I learned long ago to not take such things for granted ..... hope to be uptown picking up over $3,000 worth of South Dakota steaks at 9AM ... shortly thereafter we should be able to answer the age old question : Where's the beef?
4 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 pm

well, all's well but it sure didn't start out that way .... we were hooked up, the camper's slides pulled in and I turned on our tire pressure monitoring system so as to replace some sensor batteries .... finally found that a new battery didn't fix the sensor for the inside rear dually tire on the passenger side .... further inspection determined that the tire had no tire pressure, YEP it was flat .... unhooked and drove down the street to the CoOp station a couple of blocks away .... they were booked solid but agreed to take a look .... the problem turned out to be the connector tube that connected the inner tires valve stem to a location where it could be easily used .... nope, they didn't have a replacement so I had them install the sensor directly on the OEM valve stem .... it worked ..... 2 1/2 hours late we were on the road .... drove into a strong headwind for almost all the way from Estelline to where we are now camped in Nebraska City .... our truck ran well but that headwind really caused her to guzzle diesel .... we are now settled in for the evening, tomorrow's drive should take us to St Louis where we will spend a couple of days
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:45 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 pm
well, all's well but it sure didn't start out that way .... we were hooked up, the camper's slides pulled in and I turned on our tire pressure monitoring system so as to replace some sensor batteries .... finally found that a new battery didn't fix the sensor for the inside rear dually tire on the passenger side .... further inspection determined that the tire had no tire pressure, YEP it was flat .... unhooked and drove down the street to the CoOp station a couple of blocks away .... they were booked solid but agreed to take a look .... the problem turned out to be the connector tube that connected the inner tires valve stem to a location where it could be easily used .... nope, they didn't have a replacement so I had them install the sensor directly on the OEM valve stem .... it worked ..... 2 1/2 hours late we were on the road .... drove into a strong headwind for almost all the way from Estelline to where we are now camped in Nebraska City .... our truck ran well but that headwind really caused her to guzzle diesel .... we are now settled in for the evening, tomorrow's drive should take us to St Louis where we will spend a couple of days
I hope your troubles/glitches are behind you and that the remainder of your trip is safe and pleasant.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:16 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:45 pm
I hope your troubles/glitches are behind you and that the remainder of your trip is safe and pleasant.
good wishes appreciated .... that would really be nice
0 x