Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Class A motor home

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: Class A motor home

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:51 am

If we are north in the freezing zone we winterize and use the campground shower until we get south. Otherwise we keep the water tank full and the water heater on. We always use the shower in the MH as well as the toilet.

Our unit is pretty well insulated and we have spent time in the snow and temps in the twenties with the water heater on. It usually happens when we are on our way south.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:55 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:51 am
If we are north in the freezing zone we winterize and use the campground shower until we get south. Otherwise we keep the water tank full and the water heater on. We always use the shower in the MH as well as the toilet.

Our unit is pretty well insulated and we have spent time in the snow and temps in the twenties with the water heater on. It usually happens when we are on our way south.
Thanks. I talked to the salesperson about this and he said they don’t need to be winterized if you are living in them. He did mention it takes shore power or a lot of fuel idling if you aren’t driving. I think what he was telling me is I don’t have too but it’s a good idea.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 am
Fuel cost per mile: I’m wondering how far I can go with a monthly fuel budget of $1K. What is the cost of diesel in your area? What about DEF costs?
Diesel here is around $3.50 a gallon. We get 8 MPG towing a car. We don't use DEF so I can't answer that.
$1000.00 should buy somewhere near 300 gallons. At 8 MPG you should get 2400 miles.

What we do is make a long trip out of getting south of the snow line and then we take our time. We stay a few days and then move a few hundred miles to our next stop. In other words we just roam around and don't put on many miles after we get south.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:05 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:55 am
Thanks. I talked to the salesperson about this and he said they don’t need to be winterized if you are living in them. He did mention it takes shore power or a lot of fuel idling if you aren’t driving. I think what he was telling me is I don’t have too but it’s a good idea.
If you're talking about the Forza I believe they have the Aqua Hot system which heats the floor and puts some heat in the compartments. We don't have that, but our heat is ducted under the floor as well so it puts heat in the compartments.

We just carry some gallon jugs of water while we're winterized and still use the toilet and heat water on the stove for washing.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:21 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 am
Fuel cost per mile: I’m wondering how far I can go with a monthly fuel budget of $1K. What is the cost of diesel in your area? What about DEF costs?
Diesel here is around $3.50 a gallon. We get 8 MPG towing a car. We don't use DEF so I can't answer that.
$1000.00 should buy somewhere near 300 gallons. At 8 MPG you should get 2400 miles.

What we do is make a long trip out of getting south of the snow line and then we take our time. We stay a few days and then move a few hundred miles to our next stop. In other words we just roam around and don't put on many miles after we get south.
I think I’ll adopt that style. It’s how I travel in my teardrop. I figured $4.00 per gallon and 6 mpg. So $1000 will only buy me 250 gallons and at 6 mpg I can go 1,500 miles. I like you figures better. :lol:
0 x

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:23 am

Gene, if your set on a motor home look at these, www.renegaderv.com .
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:23 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:05 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:55 am
If you're talking about the Forza I believe they have the Aqua Hot system which heats the floor and puts some heat in the compartments. We don't have that, but our heat is ducted under the floor as well so it puts heat in the compartments.

We just carry some gallon jugs of water while we're winterized and still use the toilet and heat water on the stove for washing.
I think he said it did have the Aqua Hot.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 am

If you buy something like that spend a week hanging around the dealers area checking out all the systems.
That way if something needs updating or work you're where you need to be.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:26 am

GeoBoy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:23 am
Gene, if your set on a motor home look at these, www.renegaderv.com .
I like their slogan “meant to be driven”.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:37 am

I really like the so called "Super Cs", but that cab foreword does take up some living space and it's not as quiet as
a rear engine. Other than that they probably are easier to transition into as it's more like driving a truck.
0 x