Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Class A motor home

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: Class A motor home

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am

JEBar wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:01 am
motorhomes have many positive attributes but sitting parked for extended periods isn't one of them .... from an economic standpoint, other styles of RV's can be better suited for that ....
Ours is stored in our barn for months with no problems. I start it up once a month.
A friend of mine takes his to Florida and parks it for five months at a time. No problem.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:51 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am
JEBar wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:01 am
motorhomes have many positive attributes but sitting parked for extended periods isn't one of them .... from an economic standpoint, other styles of RV's can be better suited for that ....
Ours is stored in our barn for months with no problems. I start it up once a month.
A friend of mine takes his to Florida and parks it for five months at a time. No problem.
I thought he was talking about camping without moving.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:04 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:50 am
Tell me more. How often should I travel and how far?
have you ever owned a motorized vehicle of any type that you didn't use very often .... I well remember having a couple of boats and one motorcycle that I didn't use often .... the older they got, the more I found that I'd go crank them and have to take care of a problem .... tires dry out, oil drains away from engine parts, and so on .... many snowbirds use motorhomes that they only crank and drive very far twice a year .... early on, that works .... as the unit gets older and older, not so much .... insurance, taxes, nonwarranty repairs and most everything else are much more expensive .... you know what they say about opinions, well for well built, late model RV's slides aren't a major negative .... in fact, they are a major positive ... we have 3 and would like to have at least one more .... for what you are considering, I'd recommend a good quality travel trailer .... your van can tow it .... cheaper to purchase, cheaper to insure, easier to resale, less/cheaper maintenance and so on
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:05 pm

JEBar wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:04 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:50 am
Tell me more. How often should I travel and how far?
have you ever owned a motorized vehicle of any type that you didn't use very often .... I well remember having a couple of boats and one motorcycle that I didn't use often .... the older they got, the more I found that I'd go crank them and have to take care of a problem .... tires dry out, oil drains away from engine parts, and so on .... many snowbirds use motorhomes that they only crank and drive very far twice a year .... early on, that works .... as the unit gets older and older, not so much .... insurance, taxes, nonwarranty repairs and most everything else are much more expensive .... you know what they say about opinions, well for well built, late model RV's slides aren't a major negative .... in fact, they are a major positive ... we have 3 and would like to have at least one more .... for what you are considering, I'd recommend a good quality travel trailer .... your van can tow it .... cheaper to purchase, cheaper to insure, easier to resale, less/cheaper maintenance and so on
Thanks. I’m thinking of staying no longer than 20 days in one spot. Yes my Subaru is a dedicated tow vehicle and only gets driven once a month. I have to put a battery tender on it.

The Sprinter is okay but not my desired tow vehicle. I like sprinters just not this one for this purpose. For one it is not set up for towing and with the bus heaters and a/c it has too much waisted weight. Besides I don’t want to get out when I stop. I have a cat and don’t want to move her back and forth. I’ve always owned trailers and never a Class A, B or C.

Keep the thoughts coming as I might seem to not listen but I am. I have a lot to learn and you are about the most experienced. I’ve followed your travel threads and know your RV problems. I saw a washer and dryer in one and thought about your story.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:48 pm

One comment, some folks want an RV that makes them feel as if they are in a stick built house, with acres of open floor space, four slide outs, faux stone electric fireplace, outdoor entertainment system, and beds for eight people. They do not care if they are made of thin pine boards stapled together, with residential insulation that will hold water and form rot and mold when the rubber roof inevitably leaks.

Others want a compact camper that is easy to move, inexpensive in terms of fuel, insurance and maintenance, not a rolling home. There are a only few RVs aimed at the latter crowd, but the vast majority of trailers and motorhomes are full of stuff that is of crap quality and labor intensive to maintain

It is a dangerous environment for a newbie buyer who knows nothing about the products. I have an Oliver Legacy Elite 2, I swore off boats and RVs decades ago, but that one made me change my mind. Taking new orders, delivery in 18 months.... The last used one to appear online was sold in fifteen minutes. https://olivertraveltrailers.com

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:57 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:48 pm
One comment, some folks want an RV that makes them feel as if they are in a stick built house, with acres of open floor space, four slide outs, faux stone electric fireplace, outdoor entertainment system, and beds for eight people. They do not care if they are made of thin pine boards stapled together, with residential insulation that will hold water and form rot and mold when the rubber roof inevitably leaks.

Others want a compact camper that is easy to move, inexpensive in terms of fuel, insurance and maintenance, not a rolling home. There are a only few RVs aimed at the latter crowd, but the vast majority of trailers and motorhomes are full of stuff that is of crap quality and labor intensive to maintain

It is a dangerous environment for a newbie buyer who knows nothing about the products. I have an Oliver Legacy Elite 2, I swore off boats and RVs decades ago, but that one made me change my mind. Taking new orders, delivery in 18 months.... The last used one to appear online was sold in fifteen minutes. https://olivertraveltrailers.com

John Davies
Spokane WA
My first teardrop cost $5K and was a piece of junk. My second teardrop cost $37K and is marine quality. I’m finding the same thing with 5th wheels and Class ABC. Yes I’m a newbie in a dangerous environment but being homeless is a more dangerous environment.
0 x

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:10 pm

HAWKINS AEROSPORT MOTORHOME

https://www.recreationalvehiclemarket.c ... ach-0.html

THESE HAWKINS ARE FIRST CLASS MOTORHOMES. VERY RUGGED AND WELL BUILT.
I BOUGHT A 1992 32 FT. ABOUT 12 YEARS AGO AND IT WAS TOP OF THE LINE IN EVERY WAY. IT EVEN HAD A BUILT IN BRINKS SAFE. DROVE IT FROM NEW MEXICO TO OLYMPIC PENINSULA MANY TIMES. AND BACK AND FORTH TO OUR PLACE IN HILL COUNTRY TEXAS; A 750 MILE TRIP ONE WAY, THAT WE MADE IN ONE DAY. IT SERVED OUR PURPOSE BEAUTIFULLY AND WE SOLD IT TO A FRIEND AS A FAVOR FOR A REAL BARGAIN.
I WOULDN'T' HESITATE TO BUY A USED HAWKINS DIESEL PUSHER WITH UNDER 80,000 MILES FOR A SECOND.

A COUPLE OF THESE HAWKINS PUSHERS IN THE ADD SHOULD FILL YOUR SHORT AND LONG TERM NEEDS IT SEEMS TO ME. THEY GOT A TON OF STORAGE CAPACITY AND SHOULD HANDLE LOTS OF WEIGHT. TOW A VEHICLE FOR YOUR RUN ABOUT. VERY COMFORTABLE TO DRIVE AND LIVE IN.
CHEAP ENOUGH TO BUY AND SELL WITHOUT MUCH OF A LOSS. OR.... BUY SOME RAW LAND, PARK IT AND PLUMB IT.

I HAVE BUILT A 32 FT. MOTORHOME FROM SCRATCH SO FAIRLY FAMILIAR WITH THEM.

ALSO LIVED FULL TIME FOR 8 YEARS ON A BOAT/YACHT I DESIGNED WITH NEWPORT OREGON AS HOME PORT AND SPENT THE LAST 4 YEARS FROM SEATTLE NORTH.

DOC
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Since I know very little about these I thought I might start posting listings of them like I did houses.

https://www.poulsborv.com/country-coach ... ty-m2906a/

This one was comfortable even with the slides in.
https://www.poulsborv.com/winnebago-forza-34t-ccp3900/
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:20 pm

Country Coach is a well built RV. The company went out of business a few years back and Winnebago bought the name and the old plant with the intent to build high end Winnebagos there, but something fell through. They closed it after a few months. Probably due to the Pandemic. Country Coach is accepted into the Winnebago family but not sure how may parts are available.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:33 pm

The Forza is a high end model and well built. Many folks think of Winnebago as the original one size fits all, but Forza is a much more expensive unit that the low end units. Having been through the plant that makes them I've seen the quality and it's very good. The framework is not wood as in some units, but tubular steel and every appliance is fastened to the steel frame for safety.
They have a steel mill on site and make all their own tubular steel and aluminum.
The wall insulations are not spun fiber glass, but foam. They make all their cabinets themselves out of hardwood, all the cushions and drapery's, and they make all their own fiber glass walls. They only purchase appliances and the running frame. The running gear is Freightliner with a Cummins engine and a Allison Auto tranny.

They also make all their own water and sewer tanks.

I may be a bit prejudice, but we've owned an Airstream MH and now a Winnebago Journey for the last 12 years. The Journey is well made, just not as fancy as the Forza.
0 x