Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2020 Trip To South Dakota

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 2020 Trip To South Dakota

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 am

this morning we found out that the 40 lb propane tank we've operated on since our last couple of weeks in Texas in March is empty .... as best we can remember that tank lasted much longer than usual .... I'm certain the reason for the longevity is we no longer use propane for our grill .... we've switched to our second 40 pounder and have no plan to fill the empty tank until after we get back home
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:23 am

JEBar wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 am
this morning we found out that the 40 lb propane tank we've operated on since our last couple of weeks in Texas in March is empty .... as best we can remember that tank lasted much longer than usual .... I'm certain the reason for the longevity is we no longer use propane for our grill .... we've switched to our second 40 pounder and have no plan to fill the empty tank until after we get back home
That's great gas mileage :D !
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:33 am

I've said it before and will no doubt say it again but I never cease to be amazed at how quickly time passes while we are on the road .... 5 days from right now we should be ready to pull out and head back home .... while things are moving along pretty well here, as seems to always be the case, we are once again having to deal with a problem that just developed back home .... this time the house AC isn't working .... with the temps back home, the thermometer in house shows it was 92 degrees in there yesterday afternoon .... we no longer get as concerned about such things as we used to .... thankfully one of our kids is able to meet a repair person about noon today .... hopefully the issue will turn out to be a minor one
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 am

Hope everything works out and you arrive at a nice COOL home!
Safe travels!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:50 pm

our campground in Estelline has been booked solid for over a month .... yesterday two sites came one and another one earlier today .... some of Maureen's relatives have booked one of the sites and will be setting up in a little while .... its going to really be nice to camp with them during our last weekend here .... checking off items on our pre-trip checklist has begun ===>

one water softener tank, recharged, cleaned and stored

flag taken down and disconnected from the flagpole .... flagpole stored .... flag brought into the camper for cleaning and mending

space made to haul new Pathway antenna and pellet buckets in the truck for the return tip

dusk to dawn light control unplugged and stored along with its power cord

our goal is to have the vast majority of our non last-minute things taken care of between now and noon Sunday
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:05 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:50 pm
our campground in Estelline has been booked solid for over a month .... yesterday two sites came one and another one earlier today .... some of Maureen's relatives have booked one of the sites and will be setting up in a little while .... its going to really be nice to camp with them during our last weekend here .... checking off items on our pre-trip checklist has begun ===>

one water softener tank, recharged, cleaned and stored

flag taken down and disconnected from the flagpole .... flagpole stored .... flag brought into the camper for cleaning and mending

space made to haul new Pathway antenna and pellet buckets in the truck for the return tip

dusk to dawn light control unplugged and stored along with its power cord

our goal is to have the vast majority of our non last-minute things taken care of between now and noon Sunday
That sounds like a lot of work. I thought you were on vacation. You had me wore out just going over that list. :D
When we broke camp, the wife rolled up the sleeping bags and I tore down the tent, done. Oh and we burned the dishes. ;)
No seriously. Sounds like you guys are having a great time to remember but please have a safe trip back home.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:25 pm

we've setup and taken down our camper so many times that we really don't think about it .... for us to leave on Monday, weather permitting, most of the work will done sometime on Sunday
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:18 am

well, procrastination is no longer possible .... with us less than 48 hours from breaking camp and beginning our drive back home, I have to get serious about the process ... following a 10:30 breakfast gathering of Maureen's family, much of the morning will (no doubt) be spent visiting .... items to be dealt with this afternoon consist of ====>

cleaning, disassembling, storing my fishing gear

taking down, cleaning, and packing our outside cooking gear and cooking table

greasing our hitch and pin

cleaning the water filtration box and filter housings that have been sitting outside, exposed to the elements, since our arrival

cleaning inside of our 180 qt Yeti cooler
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:36 pm

as is our norm, the plans we make seldom go as planned .... as noted above,

greasing our hitch and pin

cleaning the water filtration box and filter housings that have been sitting outside, exposed to the elements, since our arrival

were on our list for today but they will now have to wait tomorrow ....

in their place we took down and stored our deck for travel and secured our 5' step stool to the camper's ladder .... in addition to the above, tomorrow

we need to clean our camper's black tank

clean our Pathway antenna

recharge our second water softener, clean its exterior, and store it for travel

activate our tire pressure monitoring system and check the pressure in all 10 tires

if we complete these things, Monday morning will be left to take care of last minute items
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:42 pm

I have to admire your perseverance Jim. I know it's all worth it!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry