Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Uncle Henry Schrade

Tell us about your Schrades
msnden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Uncle Henry Schrade

Post by msnden » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Well, to say I was a collector might have been an overstatement, I did acquire a few Uncle Henrys & Schrades but I never really was a "Collector" I just like the "Sharpfinger" design and would buy them if I seen them on sale, & when they sold to an overseas Co. I picked up a few more here and there, I would use them as gifts to some of my friends and there kids who were interested in hunting. not sure if any of you have ever used a "Sharpfinger" in the field or not but in my opinion there is no knife comparable, it is what it is a Sharpfinger!

In the cabinet in the shed I found these, 1) Uncle Henry 152 UM 2) Uncle Henry 154 Badger drop points) 2) Camillus sharpfinger design, notice the thickness of the Camillus (Camillus on the left) I found a couple of 152 Schrade sharpfinger, and a photo of my Schrades I use or have used on hunting trips or in my hiking packs. (Now I have to see how to post photos)

I know i have a few more of these gift sets i just have to find them

2 x

fergy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by fergy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:49 pm

I've preferred Uncle Henry knives pretty much my whole life. I've still got a few that I bought when I was a kid just out of high school. I'm 62 now. Found the golden spike on ebay, really trashed and bought it cheap. Here's a before and after of the spike and a pic of a few other knives I own. A couple of them are old Buck 110's with broken blades. When i found the three knives shown, all three had hammer marks in the back end from me hammering them into a deer pelvic bone trying to split it. Interesting that the two Bucks were broken but the LB7 wasn't. I did some reading and discovered the "+" meant 1095 high carbon steel. tough blade.

The LB7 I've had for 40 plus years. The other two (Bucks) for a few years shorter but close.

My EDC
0 x
Fergy, Burnet TX
Big Boy .44 mag

fergy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by fergy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:56 pm

When I say "found" talking about the 3 knives together, I had lost them many years ago and about a year or so ago I ran across them in the bottom of one of my hunting gear boxes rolled up in a greasy old rag. All three of them were green and nasty, and beat up with a rock in the brass butt. Two of them I had cleaned up and lightly sanded all the rock dings out of the brass, and then polished them up. I've since cleaned up the third. I've always thought the Uncle Henry LB7 or LB8 felt better in the hand than the old Buck 110's but I've noticed that the newer Bucks are less edgy and feel much better in the hand than the older ones did. I haven't owned any of the Schrade's since they sold and are made in China.
1 x
Fergy, Burnet TX
Big Boy .44 mag