Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Geco 22 bolt action ammo

Post good deals you have found here to share with the membership. Links are appreciated, or just tell us where to find it.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Geco 22 bolt action ammo

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 pm

I just ordered a case of 5000 rounds of the Geco ammo for 22's at Target Sports USA. This Geco ammo is usually right around $50/brick here locally and more at gun shows. Target Sports has it for $205/case and it comes out to .04/round. Came out to $207 and change right to my door. Shipping was paid and I paid insurance. It is very good shooting in my CZ's and is better than Norma Tac 22 and CCI Standard velocity in all the rifles I tried it in so far. I hope the case being shipped will shoot as well as the single brick I got a while back when it was over $50/brick. It says bolt actin optimized but it doesn't seem to matter in my levers and shoots well in them. I don't own a semi auto so it may or not function in them. At $20.50/brick I don't think it can be beat very easily if I was just going to use it for off hand practice. This evening after the wind died down my two CZ Ultra Lux models showed their stuff with this ammo with one shooting a single hole at 40 yds. the size of .270 bullet hole and the other about 30 cal. size. Both groups were six shots each. I will run it through my rifles when the new case gets here. They still show it on their website if any one wants some good shooting ammo at a low cost per round. The Aquila standard velocity from two different lot #'s shot very well in both CZ UL's also. One UL like one lot # and the other rifle preferred the other lot. It has been shooting well but the Geco may be a shade better at least it was under this evenings conditions. The European ammo is better ammo than ours and I wish ours would improve to the accuracy of theirs. They just seem to do it better on rim fire ammo than in the states. The Aguila Mexico made ammo seems to be getting quite a bit better. Maybe our companies are more for quantity than quality.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Geco 22 bolt action ammo

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:42 am

Thanks, Bandit. The best price I've seen recently for this ammo is $0.09/round; you've done good with your lower-priced find!

Interesting how this ammo is advertised on either the GECO or RWS/Rottweil web sites out of Germany. As you noted, it is listed as "bolt action ammo." Wonder if it doesn't work well, for whatever reason, say in a Henry lever action rifle? Have you fed it through a lever gun? I've not seen that specific of a distinction before. My SGC has chambered a number of different manufacturers' .22LR ammo, and I have practically no problems at all with this Henry for chambering or ejecting. So just wondering about this ammo's designated use.

Interesting reading about the history of these companies. Quite a long time ago (mid-1960s) I read that the brands GECO, Rottweil and RWS all came under the umbrella of Dynamit Nobel. But there is still quite a lot of web marketing under all the brands. It was kind of confusing at first trying to figure who-was-who. Through the RWS/Rottweil web info is where I found my Brenneke KO 20ga hunting slugs. This is really good hunting ammo. I've not used any of their rimfire or centerfire ammo, just the s/g stuff. But there is a pretty good selection available in various calibers.

If you know that this "bolt action ammo" is okay for lever guns, I'd like to try it out.
Thanks for your post.
PT7
bandit1250 wrote:I just ordered a case of 5000 rounds of the Geco ammo for 22's...... It is very good shooting in my CZ's and is better than Norma Tac 22 and CCI Standard velocity in all the rifles I tried it in so far......I don't own a semi auto so it may or not function in them.......The European ammo is better ammo than ours and I wish ours would improve to the accuracy of theirs. They just seem to do it better on rim fire ammo than in the states.
0 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Geco 22 bolt action ammo

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:06 pm

PT7, The Geco ammo runs through my Henry and Marlin 39A's as well as any ammo I use and better than some of the others. This ammo so far is very accurate and pretty clean burning compared to some other brands I use. I am impressed with it so far and think it will be one I keep on hand and shoot often when wanting to shoot good groups. I ran quite a few rounds through four CZ 452's this evening and the Geco had the best groups in all four of them over the CCI standards and the Aguila standards. The Aguila is doing well but I paid $189/case for it and the Geco is a little better for accuracy for less than $20 more on the 5000 round case. The CCI Standards are $315/case right now here at my LGS.
It is not as dirty burning as the CCI or the Aguila ammo. I plan to try some in my Henry and Marlin 39A's when I get time. I bet my old Remington 5-teen rifles will like it to. :)
1 x