Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

March 17, Pa. gun show.

Post good deals you have found here to share with the membership. Links are appreciated, or just tell us where to find it.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

March 17, Pa. gun show.

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:52 pm

I went to a gun show last Saturday in St. Thomas, Pa. Small fire company show but had quite a lot of guns and other fire arms stuff to look over. I don't believe there was a black rifle in the place but a lot of the older blued steel and walnut on the tables. I wasn't gun shopping unless it would have been something I couldn't do with out. One table in particular had a lot of old stock bullets in ammo cans on it so I got looking through them. I found the one can had the old Nosler solid base bullets that were made before the ballistic tips came out. The solid base with the lead tip were better and more consistent expansion than the early ballistic tips that were erratic and often blew to pieces with little penetration on bigger game. I found 10 boxes of unopened 50 gr. 224 diameter. I asked the price and he said $18/bx. That is about the price for 50 gr. Hornady's local. I asked if any better if I bought several. He said $15/bx if four were bought. I then said what about all ten? He came down to $14/bx so I bought all ten. So $140 with no tax or shipping and bullets that are quite rare to find. I used them years ago and they were fine shooting bullets and even took some crop damage deer with them in 223 and 22-250 with no run offs more than 25 yds. with most dropping right there. I then saw a box of hammer spurs. Most were the late Grov-Tec and Uncle Mikes with a few Williams style aluminum ones also. I picked out two of the three aluminum ones and told him I wanted them. He told me he didn't have any idea what any of them fit. He wanted $3 each. After paying him I told him the ones I just bought are factory Marlin's that fit '57-'83 hammers. He asked if I was sure about that. My friend had '62 39A there for sale so I asked him to try it on his Marlin. It fit perfect. The guy behind the table said you know your parts pretty well. So I picked up the last aluminum one and it was a Williams that said 94 22 on the bottom. I told him I didn't have a Winchester in the house. He said they fit a Henry to. I have a Henry Frontier but I was sure the Henry has a wider hammer. So my friend had left the table but the spur looked more like a close fit for a Marlin so I bought it for $3 and when I got home it also fits the '57-'83 hammers on Marlins. So I scored good at this guys table and he said I was his best customer in quite a while. Then on another table I found a NOS Leupold 2 1/2" sunshade to fit 40MM AO Leupold scopes for $10. They probably run near $28-30 now and shipping so I grabbed that one up for my 4-12 VX-II AO. $5 to get in and I had a good day. ;) :D
6 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: March 17, Pa. gun show.

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Good for you. We hit local gun shows on a regular basis, not so much to buy guns, but to look and, especially, find old parts, scopes, sights and such. We also know most of the regulars in our area, so it's a nice time to visit with everyone.
1 x