Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Zero turn

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Zero turn

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:02 pm

the front loader for our tractor is pretty easy to install/remove and I understand the the new ones are considerably easier .... historically we remove it when we don't need it for whatever project we are undertaking .... as you note, it can be a bit unhandy when working around trees and any other obstructions
1 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:04 pm
For the fields, I mow with a Bush Hog on the back of my Tractor. Although they also make a Finishing Mower for a nicer cut. For the yard, I still mow with my old 38 Inch Craftsman. I can't take the heat either and do not like to work in the sun for long periods of time, but I beat that by mowing late in the day. Sometimes it's almost dark, lol.

The Bush Hog is a 5 Footer and mows quick. What I like is the economics of it. It's a well-built quality implement and only cost $625 new. Of course you also need a Tractor to pull it, which I have anyway. If a Bush Hog or Finishing Mower would be satisfactory for your acreage, you could buy a good used Farm Tractor for as little as $2000.

But if I had $15,500 to spend, I would buy a nicer used Farm Tractor, a new Finishing Mower and a Hydraulic turn Grader Blade for Snow Plowing in the winter time (if you get snow, lol). There are also a whole lot of other attachments you could put on the back of it with the 3-Point Hitch. Besides, Tractors are a whole lot more fun, lol.
Thanks for the information. I actually did think of doing almost exactly what you use. I know at some point It would be nice to have a bucket on a tractor for moving gravel around the long driveway. But aren't they slow?'
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:36 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:18 pm
But aren't they slow?'
The Tractors themselves?

My Tractor tops out at 13 MPH in 5th Gear. You can actually mow in any gear, but I usually mow in 2nd and believe it or not sometimes that's too fast in some areas and I have to drop down to 1st.

The negative to a Farm Tractor though would be that they are more dangerous. You have an external spinning Driveshaft when the PTO is engaged. You need to just use common sense and caution. I've been driving them for 30 years now and have had no incidences to speak of.

Let us know if you decide to get one. A visit to your local farm and equipment supplier may help you decide. They will show you some Bush Hogs and Finishing Mowers as well as some other pieces of equipment that you may be interested in.
1 x
NRA Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 pm

We just bought a new Kubota Tractor, a half dozen implements, and a 42" zero turn in one big package. We have the bush hog, bucket, pallet forks ( which we use a lot more than we ever thought we would. ). Tina loves the zero turn as well. She not only mows the yard, but runs a strip around the inside and outside of the pasture and hayfield fencelines to keep them neat and make visual inspections much easier.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:05 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:43 am
I'm going to have 3 acres of grass to cut, next season. ..... My John Deere riding mower will take at least 4 hours plus to do this, and it will have to be done every 4-5 days.
here is a link to a Grasshopper webpage showing the Maximum Acreage Per Hour that can be cut with a given width mower deck traveling at various speeds ====> https://www.grasshoppermower.com/deck-aph/

per this Grasshopper webpage ===> https://www.grasshoppermower.com/mowers ... unt/725dt/ their top of the line MODEL 725DT, Mowing speeds up to 10.0 MPH and 6.55 acres/hr. based on 72" cutting width .... that equates to cutting 3 acres in something under 30 minutes which would be considerably less than you outlined above .... our son chose to go with their top of the line gas powered motor and based on driving diesels I'd go with a gasser as well .... my guess is the cutting times would be pretty much the same no matter what brand you end up with
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Thanks for all the information fellas. I've got plenty of time to consider everything. My grass is slowing down, and I have some brown patches already. Leaves are turning, and falling.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 am

If you already have a four wheeler you could consider a tow behind mower from DR or others. Mine shown is a brush cutter but DR also makes finish mowers. Advantage of the four wheeler is that it already has a nice suspension on it but I would imagine that it would not be as fast or nimble as a zero turn.
F3E523AF-CE1B-4EB0-9E88-DA5D66466FEF.jpeg
F3E523AF-CE1B-4EB0-9E88-DA5D66466FEF.jpeg (210.45 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
1 x

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am
Can I borrow it? I have one acre and a 26” push mower.
A goat can do it for a season or 2 and there's a hell of a good dinner after you get tired of it
1 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:10 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 am
If you already have a four wheeler you could consider a tow behind mower from DR or others. Mine shown is a brush cutter but DR also makes finish mowers. Advantage of the four wheeler is that it already has a nice suspension on it but I would imagine that it would not be as fast or nimble as a zero turn.

F3E523AF-CE1B-4EB0-9E88-DA5D66466FEF.jpeg
I've thought of that. I do have a Honda Pioneer 1000 sxs that would do the job.
0 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:27 pm

We have a three year old JD 930R zero turn mower with a 54inch deck that we use to mow about 3 acres (around the house/barn) on a our 32 acre Hobby-farm. We also use a JD 5510 utility tractor with 8ft rotary mower to mow an additional 12 acres. I don't know too much about Badboy mowers, but they probably make a good product. We went with JD because of the overbuilt "7-iron" deck and overall JD reliability. We have a lot of JD equipment that has never let us down over the past twenty years (tractor, 8ft mower deck, square baler, hay rake, loader) and the 930Rzero turn is no different - well made, heavy duty, tough mower. Like all zero-turns, it is outstanding on flat grass - a little more challenging on slopes. I would estimate our 930R can mow an acre of flat grass in about 30 minutes - I think the top speed is 11 mph, but deck size will also affect how fast you can mow an acre. We opted for flat-free tires on the front/flat-free "tweel" tires on the rear, so we have zero tire issues so far. This machine is designed for daily professional use, so using it once a week to mow three acres is child's play for an upper-end JD zero turn mower, which is why we went with a gas vice diesel engine - either one will last a very long time and we felt a diesel was kind of "overkill" for our needs. We opted for the 930R model because of the added comforts (better seat, electric deck lift, mulch option, lights, etc.) and a 54" deck for maneuverability around the house/barn. For more open areas, a bigger deck (at least 60") would be a better option. Can't really think of any negative things to pass on about this mower - like most JD equipment, it is expensive, but it is top of the line quality. If you take care of it, it is usually less expensive over the long haul because it outlasts other brands.
2 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag