Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shopping for a good gas powered trimmer...

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Shopping for a good gas powered trimmer...

Post by Greyhawk » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:38 pm

I have a Stihl also. Very good trimmer.. Although every Honda I own has been bullet proof. (including my 1985 three wheeler)
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:42 pm

I haven't used a Honda trimmer but when I held one at the store it seemed a lot heavier than a 2 cycle. I would recommend a straight shaft and ditto the recommendations for a Stihl.

I had a Stihl at work and was allowed to take it home to use. Had it many years and it was still going strong when I retired, it even stood up to being used by the summer maintenance college kids the school district hired.

I bought a Stihl when I retired and my only regret is I wish I would have got one with the interchangeable attachments.

Don't know what you use for face/eye protection when weed eating but I really like the screen type protectors, much more comfortable than a full face plastic shield as they let the air circulate and protect your whole face unlike safety glasses or goggles. I have the helmet type but you can get them without the helmet if you prefer. I also use mine when chain sawing.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/prote ... rotection/
0 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:11 pm

I have taken a different route. I buy the $69 Specials at Lowes. Lately they have been the Bolens brand. If I get 3 years out of them, I'm only spending $23 a year and I'm pretty happy with that, as I really use them, lol. Besides 5 sections of yards, I also use them to trim high brush in the fields as well (I cut the fields twice a year). Plus in more fields down in back. The one I have now will be 3 years this May. And it is still running good, lol. What started all this was the non-adjusting carbs everything now has. Once they got some age on them, I would have to start to run them more and more on choke, till they wouldn't run any more.

But... then I learned the carb adjustment trick. I drill down into the adjustment screws and use a special filed (to almost a point) small screw driver. Works great. I'm able to get another 1 or 2 years out of them this way (but don't tell the EPA), which is silly anyway and they run better adjusted. If I can get 5 out of this one, I'll get it down to $14 a year. Then it's time for another new one, new string and all.
0 x
NRA Member

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:38 pm

I bought my first Stihl a couple of years ago. Only one I ever had that would actually crank, idle, every time like it should. Cranked it up yesterday, after sitting all winter. Fired right up. Well pleased. Price not as cheap as others, but well worth it.
Got my vote.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:20 am

We bought a stihl, and never had much trouble with it. Had to have a bit of work done after about six years, the ethanol in the pump gas melted the fuel lines over time, and some of the other rubber internals. After the rebuild, it runs like a top, and the mechanic recommended the premixed canned gas, no ethanol. ;) A little more expensive, but she starts right up and runs like the .049 RC airplane engines I had as a kid. :D

We bought the straight shaft model, which meant we could put a blade on it for light brush in the ditchline. Also heavier line. It's a beast when it comes to cutting.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 am

I don't have a great deal of use for a string trimmer so ours can go a good while between uses .... I have 3 name brand trimmers out in the garage and none of them runs well .... using them provides more frustration than they are worth .... realizing I'm going against the trend, a couple of years ago I purchased a strong AC electric trimmer .... yes, I do have to drag a cord around but for me that's a great deal less frustration than pulling the starter rope on an infernal machine that doesn't want to crank
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 am

I have narrowed it down to two choices. The Honda Versa 35cc advantage I like is it is a 4 cycle and no worry with having another dedicated gas/oil mix can. Has the features I like with adding attachments like the weed cutter head and the limb trimmer.
The con is a higher price...the grass trimmer gets mixed reviews for ease of line use and the limb trimmer has a shorter extension length. Plus the unit is a bit heavier.
The next is the Echo PAS unit which offers attachment options and the limb trimmer is 8ft. in length. Yes it is a 2 cyl but has a good reputation of easy starting. Comes with a good trimmer head and the unit with limb trimmer would be several hundred dollars cheaper.

I have the plug in Grass Hog electric trimmer I use around the home and it has plenty of power and gets job done. However to use down at the range property I need to bring along the Honda generator and extension cords...kind of a pain!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:36 am

Maybe you already do this Forty but those 2 cycle engines and all other smaller motors like that NO ethanol gas. I have a couple of stihl blowers that I took from the wifes business when she sold it. They both always start and run no issues with them at all. I bet one of them is 10 years old or more.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am

I use Alcohol Free Gas in everything now, except in daily driven cars and trucks. I have to say, for some crazy reason I never had bad luck with the 10% Gas, but it sure is better using the good stuff. I am lucky enough to find it in all 3 grades here. Reg, Mid and Supreme. I usually just get the Mid. It is 90 Octane.
0 x
NRA Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:45 pm

Never had any issues with ethanol tainted gas in my power tools. I buy premium. Buying just a couple gallons isn't all that expensive over lower grades. At most about 60 cent difference for a 2 gallon purchase between regular and premium.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234