Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Tractor Battery

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

The Tractor Battery

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:51 pm

We had the tractor sitting for a couple months and when Tina went out to start it and drag the drive, it wouldn't start, the battery was dead. Put the charger on it for a couple hours, No joy in Whoville. :roll: Let it charge another couple hours and still didn't start, so I towed the tractor out of the lean to with the Ranger UTV and jumped it with the truck, started right up and she let it run a couple three hours and pulled the drive with the blade, taking down the gravel hump in the center and pulling the sides back toward the ruts. It wasn't TOO bad, but needed attention. She was telling me it could be a number of things, like the alternator and ....

"Battery." I told her, but at worst the Voltage Regulator...

But, my money is on the Battery. I explained that since the tractor ran after we jumped it, the Alternator was providing power. The battery just wasn't charging. The VR could be failing to pass power to the battery, but most likely the TWENTY year old battery wasn't taking the charge.

We took it out, after I figured out the complicated battery bracket in the Simplicity. (Massey Ferguson.) Took it to NAPA and they tested it. Bad Battery... couldn't believe the old Interstate lasted twenty years, and ordered a new one. The Legacy takes a full size battery, not a small lawn tractor battery. New battery came in today, and Boom, back up and golden. The tractor is twenty years old, but other than PM, repairing some mouse chewed wires under the hood, and a new set of tires, - it's been a great tractor. Our only regret has been NOT getting the bucket loader for the front when we had the chance. They are like hens teeth now. The tractor is already plumbed for this option and has the switches and hydraulic lines in place. The bucket loader is a plug and go option for this model.

Tina ditched the belly mower years ago for the finish mower and uses the blade and finish mower the most. The new tires make a huge difference in mud or snow, and aren't a problem on the turf if you don't make high speed brake assisted tight turns. ;)

The finish mower:
Tinas finish mower 1.jpg
Tinas finish mower 1.jpg (242.5 KiB) Viewed 3512 times

The new tires:

New Tractor Tires.jpg
New Tractor Tires.jpg (281.13 KiB) Viewed 3512 times

Snow Work a couple winters ago. This is what convinced Miss Tina that the NEXT set of tires would need deep lugs for traction. That and the mud in the lower pasture in the spring.:

up the drive.jpg
up the drive.jpg (264.91 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: The Tractor Battery

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:53 pm

The saving grace on the tractor is it's 4wd and the locking rear diff. Hard to stick it. You just have to raise the blade or mower deck and roll on out. It's a 27 hp diesel powerplant.
Runs good, obviously lasts a long time if you take care of it.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 pm

20 years is a long life for a battery. Nice tractor!
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Nice tractor Jim. Looks like it has good ground clearance as well. Appears Miss-T made the right call on those tires too!
You obviously got your money's worth out of that battery. 😁
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 pm

If we do move and get a bigger place, and the tractor and goodies don't sell with our Va farm, we plan to keep it even after buying a larger tractor with a bucket. We would use it around the residence for mowing, and inside the barn with the blade if needed.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:51 pm

Sounds like a good plan Jim!
Keep us posted as time allows on real estate issues. Wishing the best for Ya'll, including that guard dog!😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:38 pm

The Battery in my John Deere lasted 11 1/2 years. Hardly anyone could believe it, but I even had proof, lol.

Twenty years is unbelievable.

I got a battery in my truck that is 11 years this month. Still starts it like the day I bought it. I'm going to see how long I can get out of it.

Nice Simplicity you got there.
0 x
NRA Member

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:01 pm

Marine, you need to put that battery in a display case. I never get more than 5 yrs. out of a battery of any kind. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right, LOL.
2 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 pm

I replaced the 'lawn and garden tractor' battery yesterday that was in my generator. 7 yr old battery.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 pm

Mags wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 pm
I replaced the 'lawn and garden tractor' battery yesterday that was in my generator. 7 yr old battery.
Even that is a long lasting battery. Usually my bike or 4-wheeler batteries only last 2 to 5 years.
And those little ones cost almost as much as a full size. They are all on maintainers now though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry