Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Simplicity Legacy - New Tires

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Simplicity Legacy - New Tires

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Tina bought a Simplicity Legacy Tractor about ten years after we bought the farm here. At first we mowed with a push mower. That took HOURS. The first mower we bought was a Toro, and the dealer bragged that it was exactly what we needed. It was a "riding mower" and all it did was mow, and the 2+ acres killed it in the first year. :roll: We had it in for warranty service twice in the first six months, then I repaired it several times... we made do as long as we could, then we traded it in for $500 credit towards the $8,000 cost of the Simplicity with the blade. (The same tractor these days, with the same setup but with 25 horse diesel rather than 27.. is well over $15k)

Tina was working part time here and there, managing horse barns and training horses, while the kids were in school, and was home when they got out. She might take them to the barn, let them do homework in her office then ride in the afternoons. But...she was there for them. SHE chose the tractor and made all the payments. It's hers. It is fifteen years old and still going. We have taken care of it and it still goes. It's got four wheel drive, locking rear diff, front and rear PTOs and front and rear hydraulics. It is set up for a bucket but at the time we bought, didn't think we needed one. NOW you can't find one and if you did, they are $4k. Back then, $1,800.

For the last couple years the tires you see in the first pic, turf tires, have been slowly leaking down, and were a bit dry rotted, but they are OEM. Not bad for fifteen years old.
up the drive.jpg
up the drive.jpg (264.91 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
We kept the tractor and all the accessories we have added in the barn, so it is still in good shape, except where the MICE ATE STUFF. (I had to fix what I could and buy what I couldn't. :twisted:

We finally decided it was time for NEW tires. Miss Tina did her research, found the best price on Amazon, and ordered the barred tractor tires. Since we use the Garden Tractor as a tractor.
We take it into the pasture, drag downed trees, pull stumps, drag the gravel with the blade, and clear snow in the winter. The drive is 250 yards long. ;) UP and down hills. We parked the tractor in front of the woodshop, jacked er up and took off the wheels and took it to the local NAPA and had them mount the new tires. They are a bit taller, wider and the tread is awesome.
New Tractor Tires.jpg
New Tractor Tires.jpg (281.46 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Tina mows with a finish mower towed behind the tractor, and doesn't speed around the yard area, turn on a dime, or brake turn, so she isn't worried about tearing up the yard. NOW she isn't too worried about getting stuck. The tires ought to offer much improved traction. We have considered a larger Kabuto tractor on more than one occasion, just for the bucket, but we aren't there yet. Once we can't lift and do anymore, it just might have to happen. So far, this little guy is doing the job. If and when that happens, we'll keep this tractor and leave the finish mower attached and use this just for mowing. The blade, bush hog and the rest will go on the NEW bigger tractor. :)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Simplicity Legacy - New Tires

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Cost for the tires and having NAPA mount them?
Around $450... They are Carlisle brand. The last set lasted fifteen years, seemed like a good investment. :D
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Same brand on my gator and lawn mower. Four of the six on the gator are over 20yrs old. The 2 that failed had sidewall scuffs deep enough to cause rot to set in.
BrokenolMarine wrote: They are Carlisle brand. The last set lasted fifteen years, seemed like a good investment. :D
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:19 pm

The tread is much like on my 4-wheeler. Great traction but careful on nice turf. They will chew it up as I know you already know Jim. Really nice tractor!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm

markiver54 wrote:The tread is much like on my 4-wheeler. Great traction but careful on nice turf. They will chew it up as I know you already know Jim. Really nice tractor!
Tina knows about slow and easy on tight turns, but her mowing pattern is wide and long, and the yard is... a yard. We gave up on a lawn years ago. Spent a bucket on seed, fertilizers, lime, all the other stuff. Aerated, spread straw, watered early and late. Got the spring grass to come in lush and beautiful. Then, Mother Nature, that fickle beast, turned up the summer heat and July and August were the hottest and driest on record. Grass looked like straw, cooked in the sun.

Yup, a yard. Thick green, hybrid combo. Grass, dandelions, and various weeds. :lol:
We mow it, it keeps the soil from washing away.
:D
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Those tires should serve ya well. Have Carlisles on my trailer and have held up very well. Have seen a lot of gravel too as it is 8 switchbacks of gravel road up to the summer cabin.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:18 pm

That Simplicity is a good garden tractor. It will live a long life. The tires you have put on will to much better on the snow. Chains will improve the snow performance.

Great machine. It's a keeper.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:25 pm

daytime dave wrote:That Simplicity is a good garden tractor. It will live a long life. The tires you have put on will to much better on the snow. Chains will improve the snow performance.

Great machine. It's a keeper.
We bought it in '04 and have had to do very little to it other than normal pm. A battery, repair some mouse damage...
Just wish we had bought the bucket in 04. :lol:
1 x