Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finish Mower Blade Change

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Finish Mower Blade Change

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Miss Tina's finish mower for the tractor needed new blades. The last time we just had them sharpened. She knew the guy who did the job at the local Farm and Feed and he came by and jacked up the pull behind finish mower, put it on blocks, took off the blades, sharpened them on the grinder, and then reinstalled them. We paid him $75 for the house call, much less than the $100 they charge to pick up and deliver the mower and tractor BEFORE they ever do any work. Since then the business has gone kaput, and he is no more... moved from the area. I had just had a major surgery back then and couldn't use my left arm at all.

This time, we ordered new blades, the old ones were original equipment and were done. Since I can't roll around on the concrete, we decided to do it the easy way. We put the mower on the concrete pad and dropped it. Took off the drive shaft, and then rolled it forward onto the attachment points so it was standing vertical and tied it off so it was stable and couldn't fall. Then I could sit in the chair and work. Soaked the bolts in WD40 and let them sit for a half hour.

Half inch breaker bar and Bam... off came the old blades. New blades went right on. 55 foot pounds of torque per spec, and we were golden.
While we had the mower handy to the shop, greased all the fittings, greased the shafts for the pto on the tractor and the mower, and the U-joints on the drive shaft. All in all, about 90 minutes work. Cut like a dream.

Gimpy all Grumpy can still git some things done. :lol: Just have to adapt and overcome.
Tinas finish mower 1.jpg
Tinas finish mower 1.jpg (940.89 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Finish Mower Blade Change

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Simplicity mowers were Massey Ferguson. This model is the Legacy series, top of the line when Miss Tina chose it years ago. Front and rear Hydraulics, cruise control, electric adjustment for the Belly mower if you want to use it. We dropped it about five years ago when I bought the finish mower, and there it has stayed. This one is 4wd, with a locking rear axle as needed. It does the job so far, and we have a blade, and several other attachments, but we have been thinking of a full size entry level tractor with a bucket since we have gotten older. If we went that route, we would keep this mower and leave the mower attached and only use the smaller tractor for mowing at that point.... or maybe for spreading grass seed and aerating.
:lol:
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:21 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote: I had just had a major surgery back then and couldn't use my left arm at all.
Gimpy all Grumpy can still git some things done. :lol: Just have to adapt and overcome.
That's quite a nice mowing setup and congratulations on getting it up to speed (so to speak), yourself. Thanks for sharing the story and the photos.

I'm a bit gimpy and grumpy, too. I had spinal fusion surgery in 2012 to repair a slipped disc. I spent six hours on the operating table and they poorly positioned my left arm in pre-op, so after the surgery my left hand was partially paralyzed because of a nerve pinched in my elbow. The last three fingers were totally numb and I had no control of them for more than two years. Six years later, it's improved; I can now use them again, but they have not fully recovered. No more guitar playing. To add insult to injury, after all of that, my back is better, but not good enough to allow me to do what I'd like ( as if I were eighteen again). I'll be getting cortisone shots starting next week to see if it will relieve the pain so that I can tolerate more than five or ten or fifteen minutes of normal, daily activity before I hit ten on the pain meter. Ever hopeful.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:30 pm

After more than twenty surgeries, the doc tells me what I can and can't do. I pay particular attention to the can't list. If I reinjure the right knee, femur, or hip... they may not be able to get me back where I am now... which isn't 100%. Lol.
So... I do what I can.. and miss T keeps a watchful eye on me.

I take breaks, operate within my limits, and break jobs or tasks up into manageable chunks or hire them out.
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 am

:lol: Just have to adapt and overcome.

Well said sir.

That's a pretty good rig for mowing. I'd say get a larger compact tractor for a bucket. Look at Mahindra. Dad got three of them, he liked them so much. They have done well so far.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member