Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Let It Snow!

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Let It Snow!

Post by BigBlue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 pm

JEBar wrote:that is one sharp looking rig, it should serve you well .... do they make a cab for it ? .... I've seen such rigs in use where the snow is blown to where the driver comes out looking like Frosty
They do sell two different cab enclosures for it. One soft sided and the other hard sides with additional lights, windshield wipers and a heater! I've used my neighbors Cub Cadet tractor with a snowblower to do his driveway when he was laid up after knee replacement. No cab, but I got pretty good at reading the wind direction and adjusting the blower accordingly. You do learn the hard way after getting frosted a time or two.
1 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 pm

clovishound wrote:Around here, on the rare times it snows enough to actually accumulate, the sun will take care of it later today, or tomorrow. Everything will be closed when it snows anyway, so no need to go outside, other than to play in the snow.

0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 pm

that looks about right .... y'all do realize that for most of us in this part of the country, snow is a 4-letter word .. ;)
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:34 pm

I don't ski and no longer snowmobile so it's a 4 letter word for me too. We do need it in the mountains as Eastern Washington is desert steppe so need the snow for summer irrigation. At least since retiring I don't have to be at work by 5AM on snow days.
0 x

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 am

JEBar wrote:that looks about right .... y'all do realize that for most of us in this part of the country, snow is a 4-letter word .. ;)
It's funny how just a little bit of snow down south will change things. A number of years ago I was in Tennessee's Big South Fork area for their February hog hunt. Long story short, I never did get a hog, but we woke up on the second day to find 3" of snow and the fact that 6 grown men turned into children over night.
0 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 am

I have used this with snow even with the height of the intake on the two stage. It took care of it like it wasn't there. I use weights on the rear wheels and suitcase weights.
014.JPG
014.JPG (826.93 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
012.JPG
012.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4706 times
013.JPG
013.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4706 times
014.JPG
014.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4706 times
016.JPG
016.JPG (771.83 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 pm

We have had a Simplicity Legacy for about 10 years now and it has done a great job. It's 4wd with hydraulics front and rear but we waited too long to opt to add the front bucket... they are no longer available. Simplicity bought out Massey Ferguson. We added all the attachments over the years and tossed the belly mower aside in favor of a pull behind three blade finishing mower... 60" wide. It's sweet. For snow, Miss T uses the Blade and it handles the 750' drive just fine MOST winters. One year we had 4' drifts and just stayed home. LOL... we are on a tertiary road, so no point in clearing the drive... besides, with the Titan Pro4x, who needs the drive clear?

When winter rolls around and the snow hits, Miss T can't stand to stay inside... she pulls out the tractor and clears a path to the coops and then pulls the drive, just in case we need to get out... we rarely risk it. Folks around her mostly don't do well in snow and ice. :lol:
path to the coops.jpg
path to the coops.jpg (305.51 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
up the drive.jpg
up the drive.jpg (313.87 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
This year, she might not clear either, and could just use the Ranger to run to the coops... it's 4wd. We can also use it to run down to the mailbox, it should easily handle the drive, even up and down those hills. Not clearing any snow at all would be lots easier. Just sweep the steps and the ramp. The ranger will be parked in the shop in bad weather... warm and dry.
BOM Ranger 500.jpg
BOM Ranger 500.jpg (295.01 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:46 am

Nice equipment Marine. I'd say your plan sounds pretty good.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:29 am

I think you will be real pleased. I'm still running a classic 400 with a shaft drive blower. My driveway is the same length.

Unfortunately,I haven't had much use for it the past couple years. But it is a snow eater! I can do that 600' with 12" of snow and be back in the house in 15 minutes. Sometimes I switch to the blade just to play longer.

4x4 would be real nice, I do slide a bit when turning on wet snow. I don't fret over the cab. Just wear some overalls and keep the chute pointed down wind.
1 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:44 am

20160129_174903.jpg
20160129_174903.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4439 times
This is my snow beast
1 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!