Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bunnies

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Bunnies

Post by Pitchman1968 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:44 am

I live in central Massachausetts and, for years my vegetable garden has been plagued by woodchucks and deer. I got rid of the woodchuck a few weeks ago and I haven't seen any sign of deer since mid-April. However, I am being overrun by cottontails, both mature and little ones. We used to have a dense population of coyotes and fox, but they have disappeared, hence, all the bunnies. I own a Havaheart trap and am wondering what is the most effective bait for that trap for rabbits. I would like to catch the rabbits and re-locate them. Thanks in advance for any advice.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Bunnies

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:43 am

Good luck!
www.havahart.com/rabbit-baits wrote: Pour some apple cider into a spray bottle, and spray it thoroughly on the inside of your trap. The apple scent will serve two purposes: luring rabbits into the cage and covering up any human scent that may deter rabbits from entering. Create a trail of bait from outside of the trap to help guide rabbits in.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:41 am

Hire me to shoot them. We have a problem here too but there is no place to relocate them.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Pitchman1968 wrote:I live in central Massachausetts and, for years my vegetable garden has been plagued by woodchucks and deer. I got rid of the woodchuck a few weeks ago and I haven't seen any sign of deer since mid-April. However, I am being overrun by cottontails, both mature and little ones. We used to have a dense population of coyotes and fox, but they have disappeared, hence, all the bunnies. I own a Havaheart trap and am wondering what is the most effective bait for that trap for rabbits. I would like to catch the rabbits and re-locate them. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sounds like they like what you are growing, put some of that in the trap.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm

We have the opposite. We have too many coyotes, fox and hawks. They are getting the squirrels and rabbits around here and there is nothing to hunt and thus eat. I would shoot the coyotes if I had time, but I do not.

Good luck with the have a heart. I'd put clover in the trap and see what happens. Good luck.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 am

Thanks for "Having a Heart" Pitchman.

I thought I was tough, but shooting bunnies..................
0 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:26 am

I shot a whole bunch of them as a teen. Cottontails are really good eating.

There's a saying about them, though, that I pay heed to: Don't shoot them in any month that doesn't have an "R" in its name. That means avoid them in July and August, and don't take your first one until September. The big problem in the hottest months was always said to be worms.

Man, I'd love to hunt some bunnies again with my H001!
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:38 am

ditchparrot wrote:I shot a whole bunch of them as a teen. Cottontails are really good eating.

There's a saying about them, though, that I pay heed to: Don't shoot them in any month that doesn't have an "R" in its name. That means avoid them in July and August, and don't take your first one until September. The big problem in the hottest months was always said to be worms.

Man, I'd love to hunt some bunnies again with my H001!
ditchparrot, I was referring to the babies, not the adults, unless you eat those as well :D

Edit to add I wouldn't eat any rabbit in Florida so I never shot one.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 am

for years we had a garden and early on rabbits were a problem .... finally bought the gear to run an electric fence ... ran one wire 2 - 3 inches off the ground and that took care of the problem .... it worked so well I ran 2 more wires ... one a couple of feet off the ground and the top one at about the 4' level .... that took care of the deer
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Given the way they breed, the best bait to attract them is more rabbits... :)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully