Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A south paws view on tube feed rifles

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

A south paws view on tube feed rifles

Post by Oldbrass » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Lot's of mud slinging about Henrys tube feed across the interwebs, Big deal I say. The great minority in the firearms world are lefties. As a Lefty I have a Marlin 30-30 and actually prefer the tube of a Henry.(possible trade in the future) When someone makes a lever with left side loading gate I'll get excited. Now wouldn't that be sumthin !
1 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: A south paws view on tube feed rifles

Post by leverjc » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:45 pm

I am a right hander and think a loading gate on the left hand side of a rifle would be good as I could reload with my left hand.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:33 pm

as a right hand shooter, I don't have issues with a standard right side loading gate or ejection port .... in thinking about it, I'm a bit surprised some manufacture doesn't market a left handed model
0 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:08 pm

I’m a south paw and I like the tube feeder! I would really appreciate a rifle that ejects the shell away from face!
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm right handed, but, shoot with left eye. Left eye dominate thing. Tube fed never has bothered me. What, the whinners never shot a tube fed rimfire!? They have, they enjoyed it, but........
Ok,done.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:32 pm

I shoot both right and left handed and see no difference with a tube or magazine feed. What really makes the difference is the action. A bolt I work completely different left and right. A lever they operate the same.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Ive used both in different situations. I like both but in a hunting situation give me a tube feed. Its alot easier to open it up and dump the rounds out the end that it is to run them through the action.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:19 am

Being right hand, I like them both , have both, but still lean towards the gate. Living and hunting in Ohio and with only three rounds in the rifle for deer hunting allowed, I have no issues with unloading through the gate simply by pushing on the gate and have the rounds slide right into my fingers. Of course, I have to lever the one in the chamber out, same as you would with a Henry as well too. I see a lot of the mud slinging too and most of it are just opinions because some poster seen it fit to ask but when it comes to the name calling, well, I see that as being childish.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 am

A Lefty here also BUT I shoot my rifles right handed and hand guns mostly left. The tube loading is not a deal killer for me and it is handy for unloading. Main advantage of the side load is being able to quickly top off on the run.
If the Henry models I currently have would have been available with both gate and tube I would have selected those but not going to repurchase if and when such models become available.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:17 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 am
If the Henry models I currently have would have been available with both gate and tube I would have selected those but not going to repurchase if and when such models become available.
understood .... with the exception of loading a small number of rounds, I've come to prefer a tube feed ....
0 x