Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A south paws view on tube feed rifles

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: A south paws view on tube feed rifles

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:39 am

If you want to easily and quickly load or unload rounds get an AR with a 30 round magazine. The whole lever action experience for me is the fact you can’t load or unload so fast.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:10 am

True, both are pretty slow to load or unload but I have to admit that at the bench I find myself fumbling with my Henry 44 magnum and the tube feed. I like to position my Henry to rest the butt on the seat while I stand to load the cartridges in the tube. On several occasions ,the butt had slipped and I was lucky to catch the rifle before it came off the seat. With my Marlins,I can more easily load through the side gate while sitting. All of this is moot when it comes to choosing either one for a hunting tool. Both work just fine. As humans, we tend to adapt to what we use, well, until the arthritis starts to set in. I sure am glad I am not a lefty, I'd really be messed up.
1 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am

I am completely missing (pun intended) any difference in left or right handed loading of a tube. A gate yes.
2 x

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am
I am completely missing (pun intended) any difference in left or right handed loading of a tube. A gate yes.
Exactly my point, and I have 2 ARs 😁
1 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverLuvr » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:53 pm

I'm a Lefty(as in handed), and left eye dominant. I have found that just doing things left handed regardless of anything being right handed, is no big deal. You just work it differently and adapt. I can use RH bolt rifles just as good as a righty. Don't currently have a sidegate rifle but found it natural to support the rifle with the left, while loading with the right. I play guitar right handed too. Right hand guns are easier to sell also. I have tried using LH rifles, guitars, etc., and find it awkward. In some cases I have found using RH stuff left handed to be more natural.
2 x

LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverLuvr » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:58 pm

By the way, the Right side of the brain controls the Left side of the body. Therefor, only Left handed people are in their Right mind :mrgreen:
5 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:11 pm

LeverLuvr wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:53 pm
I'm a Lefty(as in handed), and left eye dominant. I have found that just doing things left handed regardless of anything being right handed, is no big deal. You just work it differently and adapt. I can use RH bolt rifles just as good as a righty. Don't currently have a sidegate rifle but found it natural to support the rifle with the left, while loading with the right. I play guitar right handed too. Right hand guns are easier to sell also. I have tried using LH rifles, guitars, etc., and find it awkward. In some cases I have found using RH stuff left handed to be more natural.
Most of us south paws are ambidextrous. Try and watch a right handed person shoot a LH bolt action.
0 x