Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lead safety/ exposure/ poisoning explained

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Lead safety/ exposure/ poisoning explained

Post by John E Davies » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am

I learned a few things from this excellent brochure for shooters ... such as alcohol hand sanitizer will get the dirt off your hands but not the lead. And why you must use a suction exhaust, not a fan, for ventilation and also you must limit the pot temperature to below 900 deg when casting.....

https://dph.illinois.gov/sites/default ... 041516.pdf

Please read. Consider how your current practices may affect you or your loved ones decades from now. Be safe.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Lead safety/ exposure/ poisoning explained

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks for the important information, John. Good to know.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Lead safety/ exposure/ poisoning explained

Post by Headhog » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:21 pm

This is great advice. I stopped casting bullet over 25 years ago after an experience with a fellow shooter.

For several years I shot IPSC matches at and indoor range. Gary was a dedicated member and was very concerned about keeping the floors clean so nobody slipped on brass or dust. After a few shooters he would sweep the range to move the dust and brass to the sides. Well one day Gary did not show up to shoot. The match director called Gary to find out what was going on. Gary had trouble talking in complete sentences but got his point access. He had lead poisoning and would not be shooting indoor matches again. With treatment he managed to get his lead levels down but is was over a year before his memory and speech started to clear up.

Right after this I had my annual physical and asked my doctor to perform a lead level check. He was surprised, but when I explained my hobby was shooting he agreed. My lead levels were high, but below the danger level, the doctor recommended curtailing my indoor shooting.

To this day I always wash my hands and face after shooting and long since gave up casting. When reloading I use latex gloves and they get tossed when done and I only shoot indoors once or twice a year.

Paul
2 x