Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Questions on a new henry

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Questions on a new henry

Post by james89 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome and advice everyone, I have some tools I may need on the way, I have want to clean it before I take it out again. I'm stumped on this screw as well. I'll let you know when I get it out and clean. First impressions are very positive, the kicks not horrible ( even with that brass plate). Fresh out of the box it was a bit stiff, but a few drops of oil and a few cycles of the lever fixed that up. Very nice quality walnut, I'm curious what the fancy looks like now.
1 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:31 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:58 pm
Can't imagine that screw being so difficult to remove. Maybe it was cross threaded during assembly?
At least do what Gunny suggested and get a cheap set of screw drivers. I picked up a set for about $15.00.
My lever screw comes out very easily...good luck!
The lever screw is the only screw that is subject to rotation forces every time you work the lever. I suspect that it may be designed to be a little difficult to get it started for that reason. Mine is.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:49 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:31 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:58 pm
Can't imagine that screw being so difficult to remove. Maybe it was cross threaded during assembly?
At least do what Gunny suggested and get a cheap set of screw drivers. I picked up a set for about $15.00.
My lever screw comes out very easily...good luck!
The lever screw is the only screw that is subject to rotation forces every time you work the lever. I suspect that it may be designed to be a little difficult to get it started for that reason. Mine is.
good point Gunny. :idea:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:57 pm

Yeah I'm half afraid of ruining my brass recover with a slipped screwdriver and half afraid I'll strip the screw. I have a close to 80% surety my main issue is improper driver tips ( most of mine are more wedged the screw is more flat)
0 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:04 pm

james89 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:57 pm
Yeah I'm half afraid of ruining my brass recover with a slipped screwdriver and half afraid I'll strip the screw. I have a close to 80% surety my main issue is improper driver tips ( most of mine are more wedged the screw is more flat)
I feel pretty certain the right type screw driver will do the trick. ( hollow-ground ) will not slip, if careful.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm

The key word is careful. Even a good hollow ground screwdriver can slip if your hands shake like mine do. Just use the screwdriver enough to get the head of the screw out enough to grab with your fingers and then unscrew the rest of the way from there.
1 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Team Roper wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm
The key word is careful. Even a good hollow ground screwdriver can slip if your hands shake like mine do. Just use the screwdriver enough to get the head of the screw out enough to grab with your fingers and then unscrew the rest of the way from there.
FWIW...agreed. Another good point!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Im sure once I get the thing loose it'll be fine butI actually found a take down screw said to fit my Henry so after I get this one out I'm going to try that out a bit. The screw has a nob I might not like, but could make a simple cleaning super fast.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Welcome to the forum!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Hollow ground had no issues, I win and I cleaned it up! Super glad it was dirty dirty dirty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x