Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Questions on a new henry

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Questions on a new henry

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 am

I've found that a small, single drop of Purple LOCTITE works really well .... https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-555339-P ... B0002KKTT0 .... it is a low strength thread locker that allows easy removal of the screw while preventing it from backing out
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:29 am

JEBar wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 am
I've found that a small, single drop of Purple LOCTITE works really well .... https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-555339-P ... B0002KKTT0 .... it is a low strength thread locker that allows easy removal of the screw while preventing it from backing out
Threaded fasteners trivia. The world is held together with threaded fasteners. When I worked for Boeing, threaded fasteners were a very big deal. A single 747 is held together by approx. 2.5 Million threaded fasteners of about 1500 different part numbers. Steel, titanium, plastic, etc. Think about all the different types, sizes, materials, you have in your cars, homes, appliances, furniture, etc.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:57 am

JEBar wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 am
Have you had a screw try and run off on you? I get being careful, guns can be dangerous if something malfunctions. I'd just like to know if anyone has ever found there screw coming out by itself. If it's a possibility it sounds one to be aware of even if rare
0 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:15 am

One thing I do is carry my screwdriver bit set with me when at the range. Six shooter or rifle you will find a loose screw or two when shooting.
I found one of the side action screws loose on my Henry CCH .357 rifle just before I started shooting and it was out a few turns but all the rest tight. Good to do a once over before you leave the house too!
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:44 am

james89 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:57 am
Have you had a screw try and run off on you? I get being careful, guns can be dangerous if something malfunctions. I'd just like to know if anyone has ever found there screw coming out by itself. If it's a possibility it sounds one to be aware of even if rare

I certainly have on several occasions .... I enjoy shooting and you may recall that on several occasions I've posted pictures of targets where I've fired 100 rounds at various distances .... before I started using the purple LOCTITE I did have the lever screw to work loose to the point I noticed it and had to stop shooting long enough to tighten it
0 x

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:15 am
One thing I do is carry my screwdriver bit set with me when at the range. Six shooter or rifle you will find a loose screw or two when shooting.
I found one of the side action screws loose on my Henry CCH .357 rifle just before I started shooting and it was out a few turns but all the rest tight. Good to do a once over before you leave the house too!
fortyshooter wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks for the wisdom, I'm still pretty new but I really like shooting so far I'll keep my eyes on them all.
0 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverLuvr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:38 am

I assume that thumb screw is metal. It might be neat to get the top engraved to look like an old sheriffs badge.
0 x

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Yeah, I went back and got one for my marline and the marlin screw had face plate options, one was a sheriff star ( I picked up one with the 45-70 stamp, cause my marlin is 45-70 and I figured it would at least match) The Henry screw I found just had the ranger perscion logo on it, which is raised and would need grinding off before etching is possible. Alot of work to possibly destroy a 30 dollar screw ( me doing it, not to imply others would )
0 x