Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry X rifles -LOP

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
ironbrew
Tenderfoot
Canada

Henry X rifles -LOP

Post by ironbrew » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:43 am

Has anybody cut a Henry X shorter yet? The LOP is a tad long for my shortness. I asked Henry if there was enough meat for the screws if you cut say 1/2" or 3/4" off the stock but they didn't know.

Thanks
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry X rifles -LOP

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:32 pm

faced with those options, I'd order a replacement stock from Henry .... when it arrives I'd figure out which one I like best and cut the other one down .... actually in my case it would be to pay a gunsmith to cut it down .. ;) .. if it worked fine, if not I'd install the better looking stock
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:52 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:32 pm
faced with those options, I'd order a replacement stock from Henry .... when it arrives I'd figure out which one I like best and cut the other one down .... actually in my case it would be to pay a gunsmith to cut it down .. ;) .. if it worked fine, if not I'd install the better looking stock
All the X models have plastic butt stocks, so there isn't any such thing as better looking for them. Which is why I prefer wood. That aside, if you cut the stock, you'll also have to resize the butt pad. What could be done (if you've got the $$$$) is get wood butt and forestocks custom made. However doing that would eliminate the forestock rail and the integrated sling mounts on both butt and forestock.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:28 pm

I have an X and it fits me fine..... Have you taken off the rubber pad yet? You might be able to remove some material from the front side of the pad with a band saw and dress the cut surface flat again with a belt sander. I am guessing because I don’t know what that area looks like. Take yours off, snap a good picture picture and post it here.

E245790D-88C1-4F18-ADC8-703B0BB044DA.jpeg

The fit is pretty poor anyway, you might be able to improve it. While you have it off you can inspect the stock itself. What caliber is your rifle? If it is a big bore, you may not want a thinner pad. Ouch.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

ironbrew
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by ironbrew » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am

Mine's a 45-70. I have grizzlyphobia.

I haven't yet taken the stock off. I figured with an LOP of 14" and the average rifle being 13.5", I'd ask before I did anything, guessing somebody would have dealt with the issue already. Too bad they didn't do like Tikka and make it short with spacers instead.

For my uses, the plastic stock is otherwise ideal. This rifle is NOT for "pretty". When they come out with a carbine, octagonal barrel case colour hardened side gate with nice wood, that will be my "pretty" Henry. I wanted the higher quality of the Henry after having a couple of cycling action issues with my Marlin (apparently I fixed them but the trust was never really there again). I like the side gate for topping up, but I like the tube for loading and unloading. Much safer.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:27 am

ironbrew wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am
Mine's a 45-70. I have grizzlyphobia.

SNIP

I wanted the higher quality of the Henry after having a couple of cycling action issues with my Marlin (apparently I fixed them but the trust was never really there again).
LOL, I bought my BBX .44 Mag specifically for camping in grizzly, black bear/ moose/ rabid chipmunk country in the Pacific NW and also a future trip to AK. I would have got the .45/70 if I could still tolerate recoil. Did your X cycle well out of the box? Mine choked completely and Henry had to grind on the lever to get it to work. It is fine now.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

ironbrew
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by ironbrew » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:01 am

I haven't even put rounds in it due to not being able to get to the range. I could safely put them in at the house, but the field that is safe direction is full of beef at this time, and should anything untoward happen I don't really want to buy a beef and pay back the bad will generated... I have a little bit of travelling to complete, then it is a range day.

did you try some of the reduced loads for the 45-70? I've found that some of the slow loads (probably about 1400ft/second were very good penetrating and carried a whumph with ranch dog 450's and 350's. The reduced velocity allowed my father (early 70's at the time, bad shoulders) to fire the rifle several times and be quite impressed with it. Being a British and BSAP veteran, his calibers were always 303 and 308.
0 x

ironbrew
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by ironbrew » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Got a definitive answer. They don't recommend shortening the stock. They have been getting requests for longer stocks, actually. I find this very strange. Mind you I'm a short guy...
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:32 pm

ironbrew wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:01 am
did you try some of the reduced loads for the 45-70? I've found that some of the slow loads (probably about 1400ft/second were very good penetrating and carried a whumph with ranch dog 450's and 350's. The reduced velocity allowed my father (early 70's at the time, bad shoulders) to fire the rifle several times and be quite impressed with it.
we've fired HSM Cowboy Action Centerfire Rifle Ammo ===> https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hsm-cow ... Rifle+Ammo through our Henry 45-70 and it isn't bad at all
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:54 pm

ironbrew wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm
Got a definitive answer. They don't recommend shortening the stock.
Naturally they would say that, to cover their butts from the liability. You need to thin the existing pad, or find a thinner aftermarket one. OTH anything is possible with a gun, there may be a way to cut down the stock and reinforce/ rebuild the area with epoxy. OTH you could screw it up. When you start cutting on guns, you takes your chances.....

This advice is coming from a guy who will happily cut, grind, saw, bob the barrel, mill the frame, whack on just about any gun, unless it has collector value. Don’t do stuff like this unless you are prepared to screw up ;). Guns are tools, if the tool doesn’t work, get one that does, or alter the tool.

https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9601

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x