Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Home Defense Ready Service Storage for Model X ?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
scottb613
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Home Defense Ready Service Storage for Model X ?

Post by scottb613 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:09 pm

Hi Folks,

New Model-X owner - first time firearm owner - is there some means to secure the carbine safely in my bedroom in a lockable rack that provides easy access in case of emergency ?

I've poked around a bit and something like a "ShotLock" rack would be ideal but that doesn't appear to be made for a lever gun.

If I wanted to leave rounds in the tube for defense purposes - would it be reasonable to store it at a reduced capacity to save the spring ?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Home Defense Ready Service Storage for Model X ?

Post by GunnyGene » Wed May 13, 2020 8:22 pm

There's many ways to do what you want, but one way you may not have thought of or heard of is hidden firearms storage. These are made in a variety of styles and prices for anything from handguns to long guns. Some double as book cases, coffee tables, bed headboards and so on. Many will have hidden catches/locks for quick access.

Google hidden firearms storage to get an idea of what's available. If you have or know a cabinet maker near you, he can probably create something for you.

The advantage is that the gun(s) are not out in the open or in a obvious gun safe.

As for loads in the mag tube, modern springs don't take a set, unless you stress them past their design limits, which you can't do simply by maxing the tube capacity. So load up however much you want. Be aware, however that having a full (or nearly full) load of JHP or similar in the tube will deform the tips of the bullets over a period of weeks, which can result in poor accuracy of those rounds. I've experimented with this and now only keep 3 or 4 in my .41mag BBSC (which will hold a max of 8 rounds in the tube).
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

scottb613
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by scottb613 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Gunny,

Thanks so much - I'll look into the hidden storage - makes sense...

Appreciate the info on loading - yeah - I was thinking about doing similar and I bought a sling that holds (10) rounds - which should be more than enough for any home defense situation...

Much to learn...

Regards,
Scott
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu May 14, 2020 9:04 am

scottb613 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 am
Hi Gunny,

Appreciate the info on loading - yeah - I was thinking about doing similar and I bought a sling that holds (10) rounds - which should be more than enough for any home defense situation...

Much to learn...

Regards,
Scott
You're very welcome. You're in NY, right? Is it possible for you to acquire a pistol? If so, I'd recommend getting one. Much easier to handle in a home defense role than a rifle, and many people will keep one or more in handy places around the house or carry it on them at home, etc. Reason is you don't get to choose the time of day (or night) that a bad guy might target you - he does, and sometimes more than one of them. The world ain't what it was 50 or 60 years ago. :(
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

scottb613
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by scottb613 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:31 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:04 am
scottb613 wrote:
Hi Gunny,

Much to learn...

Regards,
Scott
You're very welcome. You're in NY, right? Is it possible for you to acquire a pistol? If so, I'd recommend getting one. Much easier to handle in a home defense role than a rifle, and many people will keep one or more in handy places around the house or carry it on them at home, etc. Reason is you don't get to choose the time of day (or night) that a bad guy might target you - he does, and sometimes more than one of them. The world ain't what it was 50 or 60 years ago. :(
Hi Gunny,

Yeah - unfortunately I'm in NY - I've looked into it - my county [Sullivan] requires (2) county residents to sponsor me - fill out the paperwork - and - be willing to be interviewed by law enforcement - before my pistol permit could be approved and in this day and age - who would do that ? NY is also a "May Issue" state - so I could jump through all the hoops and still be denied. To even touch a pistol in NY without a NY permit is a felony.

While I'm x-military about 25 years ago and while qualified on the M14, 12 Ga, and 1911 - I didn't want to have to deal with potential bans on semi-auto's in New York which is why I chose a Henry - also - I wanted my wife to be comfortable with this - so a nice small simple to use carbine - with no kick - seemed like a pretty good compromise.

Appreciate the discussion...
:)

Regards,
Scott
Last edited by scottb613 on Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 am

Looking forward to a range report and welcome to the forum.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu May 14, 2020 9:56 am

scottb613 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:31 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:04 am
scottb613 wrote:
Hi Gunny,

Much to learn...

Regards,
Scott
Hi Gunny,

Yeah - unfortunately I'm in NY - I've looked into it - my county [Sullivan] requires (2) county residents to sponsor me - fill out the paperwork - and - be willing to be interviewed by law enforcement - before my pistol permit could be approved and in this day and age - who would do that ? NY is also a "May Issue" state - so I could jump through all the hoops and still be denied. To even touch a pistol in NY without a NY permit is a felony.

While I'm x-military about 25 years ago and while qualified on the M14, 12 Ga, and 1911 - I didn't want to have to deal with potential bans on semi-auto's in New York which is why I chose a Henry - also - I wanted my wife to be comfortable with this - so a nice small simple to use carbine - with no kick - seemed like a pretty good compromise.

Appreciate the discussion...
:)

Regards,
Scott
Ok. Kinda thought a pistol would be a problem. Down here, we have no such restrictions. MS is a permitless carry State, and no requirements for purchase etc. except the Federal NICS, and private in-State transfers don't even require that. I keep hoping the rest of the country will follow the 16 or so States that are permitless carry, etc. Maybe someday. :)
1 x

scottb613
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by scottb613 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:58 am

leverjc wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 am
Looking forward to a range report and welcome to the forum.
Thanks - LOL - that's my next issue - I need to find a decent place to shoot.
;)

Regards,
Scott
0 x

scottb613
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by scottb613 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 am

Hi Gunny,

My retirement plan has me moving to Maine - can't wait.

Regards,
Scott
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am

scottb613 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 am
Hi Gunny,

My retirement plan has me moving to Maine - can't wait.

Regards,
Scott
Way too cold up there for me. I get chilly just thinking about it. :lol:
1 x