Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone have their Henry barrels threaded?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
inspcalahan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Anyone have their Henry barrels threaded?

Post by inspcalahan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Other than the threaded barrel Frontier .22, Henry doesn't offer anything with threaded barrels. Hopefully this will change, as suppressors for hunting are becoming pretty common in many states. Has anyone here had any of their other Henry's threaded? If so, how were the results, any issues doing so and where did you have it done?

I'm considering having my .45-70 threaded but it'll require a bit more than just threading. I think the front sight may have to be moved back, the magazine tube moved back and the tube/brass tube possibly shortened just a bit. It sounds like a lot and who knows, maybe I'm being too ambitious. I'd just really like to be able to put my suppressor on the front of that blaster. I'd also like to do the same to my pump .22mag, but may encounter the same challenges.

I may do it to the single shot .243 as well but that's a simple task compared to the lever guns.

Thoughts?
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Anyone have their Henry barrels threaded?

Post by wingnut » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:29 pm

inspcalahan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:09 pm
I'm considering having my .45-70 threaded but it'll require a bit more than just threading. I think the front sight may have to be moved back, the magazine tube moved back and the tube/brass tube possibly shortened just a bit. It sounds like a lot and who knows, maybe I'm being too ambitious. I'd just really like to be able to put my suppressor on the front of that blaster. I'd also like to do the same to my pump .22mag, but may encounter the same challenges.

Thoughts?
I had it done on a BBS 45 Colt by a local trusted 'smith that has done many threadings. Particular to both mine and probably yours...

The barrel is very tightly screwed to the action almost to the point of maybe torqueing the action for barrel removal . There should not be any pins involved.

Consider the can for direct thread only (3 lug barrel adapters are not rated for rifle pressures) and semi-fixed muzzle brakes are usually too large in diameter for the tube to clear. This will save frontend real estate but the can will have to be removed for loading/unloading from the tube. Its a small "price" to pay. Threads down to the front of the front sight should be just good enough.

For the tube... just remove 1/3-1/2 of the total length from the top of the front tube knob.

Good luck.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

TN Mark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TN Mark » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:21 pm

Could a 'stub pipe', made from barrel steel, be made to screw onto the end of the barrel? Just long enough to allow screwing the can on and off easily. With a side loading gate, the feeding tube wouldn't need to come out except for cleaning.

I was listening to a recent Gun Talk podcast this morning from Tom Gresham. Tom was talking to a SIg rep about their new rifle, scope, range finder and suppressor offerings. Apparently, the USA is way late to the party when it comes to hunting rifles with suppressors.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 pm

Your prayers have been answered with the introduction of the new Henry ' X ' line.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry