Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Texas Tribute Edition Rifle

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Texas Tribute Edition Rifle

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:11 am

I don't buy guns that I'm not going to shoot. Colt came out with the civilian version of the USMC 1911, and I really liked it, but all the buzz was "Don't shoot them, they will only increase in value."

For me, it translated to, don't buy them. :lol:

To be fair, I also dont KEEP guns I "can't" shoot. We have all had a few that just didn't fit us well, we didn't like the grips or sights, or for some reason the planets tilted on their axis when you touched the gun. THOSE I sold or traded. ;)
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:27 pm

But I don't really care for all those tribute rifles.
Neither do I typically.
Regardless of the brand a lot of them are ovestarted and do not offer a very good 'artistic' representation of the tribute or commemoration they were designed to. Personally I find the worst to be those that have additional coloration that is not typical of any original gun design EG, blue, brass, gold, nickle, CCH etc.

History has proved most commemorative or 'tribute' guns have not appreciated in value and in some isolated cases actually reduced a guns value from what it might be in original,condition. A few have appreciated but its a niche market with only the best and complete examples being desirable.

That being said with regard to Winchester many of their commemoratives from the 60 s & 70s are relatively 'mild' by comparison with simple and tasteful artwork that does not detract from the basic design of the gun itself. Also many of these can be found very reasonably priced even if in 'unfired' and relatively NIB condition.

Several years ago I wanted to add an 'original' WInchester in a rifle caliber to my collection. I did not simply want a basic Mod 94 carbine (as I wanted one with an octagon barrel) and I did not want a new Miroku at the time.

I began to do my research and looking into what might 'fill the bill' and shortly thereafter found a 1968 Winchester mod 94 'Buffalo Bill' commemorative which I got through a trade and have been very happy with it. It's commemorative artwork is essentially limited to some engraved scrollwork on the receiver and tang, an inletted (not surface mounted) medallion on the right side of the stock and a nickel plated nose cap, trigger, hammer and saddle ring. It is distinctive yet a subdued design and is for all intents and purposes a regular 'shooter'

A few years after this I wanted another Winchester with a 26" Octagon barrel and one came to me in the form of a 1966 100 year commemorative.
It too is relatively simple artistically with only a gold plated receiver, trigger, buttplate and a very nice engraving on the barrel in cursive that says 'A Century Of Leadership 1866 - 1966'. Unfortunately this rifle had been restocked by the original owner an the crescent buttplate replaced with a basic steel, 'carbine' style but this resulted in my getting it for a very attractive price - and it included the original box and wrapping.

As such I even find Winchester's 'Lone Star' Commemorative to be relatively tasteful in design and not something I would relegate unfired to the safe!
H4091-L123139595.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:46 pm

That one is very nicely done. I think the 'commemoratives' tend to be more pleasantly done than the gaudy tributes.
Mistered wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:27 pm
As such I even find Winchester's 'Lone Star' Commemorative to be relatively tasteful in design and not something I would relegate unfired to the safe!

H4091-L123139595.jpg
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Looks to gaudy to me. Could have been a bit more understated.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Looks to gaudy to me. Could have been a bit more understated.
Which one?
The Winchester or the Henry?
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:28 pm

If I want to commemorate, I might add something to the knife, gun stock, or holster. I could inlay my Aircrew Wings, a Challenge Coin, or something else of significance to me. That way it's exactly what I want.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Nice Winchester.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:20 am

Nice Winchester.
Yes it is and I really like the pistol grip style stock.
I may be on the hunt for a new stock set and matching lever for a little 'modification' on my 100 year Commemorative!
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:40 am

I purchased an Eagle Scout edition Henry to honor the eagle scouts in my family. Including me there are 4 of us. My nephew Jack is the most recent and he has it and it gets shot. I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.
554.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 am

I think it is pretty well accepted as fact that Henry is a good/solid company .... I don't understand all of their decisions to manufacture some calibers and styles of rifles .... that includes tribute lines .... all that being said, they wouldn't market them if they don't sell .... they do understand their market and design / manufacture accordingly .... while so far I have no interest in any tribute rifle, that could change in a flicker .... all in all, I'm happy they make them, it doesn't cost me anything to look .. :D
1 x