Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Help with planning

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Help with planning

Post by Cowpokey » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:24 am

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
1 x
MSgt USAF - Retired, 1990-2014
VFW (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:27 am

Mark, for me it would depend on the guns. For a rimfire, I'd be comfy with a good gun wipe rag. A 22 LR rifle, especially, doesn't need a bore clean after every outing. We don't do a bore clean on our rimfires after every outing, just a good wipe down and inspection, using a small brush as needed to clean the breech face area. Surely you can make room for these items.

I'd be a lot less comfy not being able to clean a 357, especially if I was shooting 38s in it. Some factory 357 ammo shoots much cleaner than other 357s, but if you start mixing in 38s, you'll get a crud ring buildup. I MUCH prefer to get that out of my 357s, right away.

There's also the issue of weather. If you'll be out shooting in dry conditions and have a dry place to store the guns, that's one thing. If you hit a run of wet weather and/or don't have a dry place to store the guns, that's another.

Honestly, though, how much room can a thee piece cleaning rod, brush, jag and a small bottle solvent and oil take up? Me, I'd just throw it all in a plastic bag and stow it in the glove compartment. You're not going to save much room, even if you took a small tackle box (a very good idea, by the way).
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Honestly, though, how much room can a thee piece cleaning rod, brush, jag and a small bottle solvent and oil take up?
Yea - don't forget about all those storage compartments in the rear panels of your 4Runner 'Yota had the foresight to design in!
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:56 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:27 am
Mark, for me it would depend on the guns. For a rimfire, I'd be comfy with a good gun wipe rag. A 22 LR rifle, especially, doesn't need a bore clean after every outing. We don't do a bore clean on our rimfires after every outing, just a good wipe down and inspection, using a small brush as needed to clean the breech face area. Surely you can make room for these items.

I'd be a lot less comfy not being able to clean a 357, especially if I was shooting 38s in it. Some factory 357 ammo shoots much cleaner than other 357s, but if you start mixing in 38s, you'll get a crud ring buildup. I MUCH prefer to get that out of my 357s, right away.

There's also the issue of weather. If you'll be out shooting in dry conditions and have a dry place to store the guns, that's one thing. If you hit a run of wet weather and/or don't have a dry place to store the guns, that's another.

Honestly, though, how much room can a thee piece cleaning rod, brush, jag and a small bottle solvent and oil take up? Me, I'd just throw it all in a plastic bag and stow it in the glove compartment. You're not going to save much room, even if you took a small tackle box (a very good idea, by the way).
Thank you NCG! Never thought about the different calibers :idea:
I will be shooting in dry conditions, as I won't be hunting this year, just fair weather target shooting.
The guns will be stored inside and humidity at this time of year, especially at about 4200 feet, should not be bad.
I only plan on shooting 357's and no 38's, so I guess that is a plus.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Mistered wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:29 pm
Honestly, though, how much room can a thee piece cleaning rod, brush, jag and a small bottle solvent and oil take up?
Yea - don't forget about all those storage compartments in the rear panels of your 4Runner 'Yota had the foresight to design in!
Aaah yes! Thanks for the reminder of those little side panels Ed.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Had not looked in those Yota side compartments for a while, till today. Most of what I found can be left at home or dis-carded. I think then, they will accommodate any gun cleaning items I will need!...I guess I should succumb to a humble...DUH!🤓
Only thing left to worry about are my soft sided rifle cases; my SD pistol, which will be on my hip, and my 686, also in soft sided case which can be slipped in almost anywhere.
I'm puttn' the puzzle together.☺ wish I had a big beautiful RV like JBar...oh well.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:51 pm
I'm puttn' the puzzle together.☺ wish I had a big beautiful RV like JBar...oh well.

trust me, no matter how big of a storage area one may have, sooner or later it will fill-up .... :?
1 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 pm

I have one of these, although not Henry branded. Works GREAT and packs small. All you would need would be a couple screwdrivers or other tools. The kit I have works for rimfire, all the way to 12ga. I also got a 17HMR brush for it.

https://henrypride.com/products/henry-o ... 1738159244
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Pudsky wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 pm
I have one of these, although not Henry branded. Works GREAT and packs small. All you would need would be a couple screwdrivers or other tools. The kit I have works for rimfire, all the way to 12ga. I also got a 17HMR brush for it.

https://henrypride.com/products/henry-o ... 1738159244
Thanks Pudsky! Looks like a great little travel kit :idea: Might order it and receive it up at the cabin after we get there.
It's not easy for UPS or FEDX, however, I have received many things from them up there, not to mention USPS.
Good idea!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:54 pm

50 bucks for a few brushes, a cable and a pouch with the word Henry on it??
Good lord - I don't think I have 50 bucks worth of stuff in my three tier tackle box - and its overflowing with cleaning supplies, parts & tools over the last 30 or so years!
IMG_1349.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x