Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Twice

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Twice

Post by Bad Bob » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:15 pm

I have a Henry Long Ranger 6.5 Creedmoor.
At this point in time, I have sent it back to Rice Lake twice.
Both times for excessive trigger pull and second time because the rifle WILL NOT FIRE with 3 rounds in the magazine.
As received, after the second factory visit, rifle was returned with a note that trigger pull (measured with a RCBS scale) is 5-1/2#.
My Wheeler scale still indicates a 7# pull.
No mention that the failure to fire issue was addressed.
A question for you...Would you be satisfied with a $1000 rifle with a 5-1/2# pull? How about a 7# pull?

On a scale of 1 to 10 measuring "Happy Campers" I am a 1.
Seeing if anyone else has the same issues..

Thanks.
0 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Twice

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm

Bob, sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your Henry rifle, but I wonder...

Does the rifle still have a problem with failure to fire with three rounds in the magazine, or is it now functioning properly even though it wasn't mentioned as having been addressed when it was returned to you?

Have you spoken to CS at HRA about the trigger pull and did they suggest it was out of specs?

You mentioned two methods for determining your rifle's trigger pull, an RCBS scale and a Wheeler scale, which provide different results. When you shoot the rifle, do you think the trigger pull is affecting your accuracy?

Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue. We are very interested in your report. Thanks.

Bad Bob wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:15 pm
I have a Henry Long Ranger 6.5 Creedmoor.
At this point in time, I have sent it back to Rice Lake twice.
Both times for excessive trigger pull and second time because the rifle WILL NOT FIRE with 3 rounds in the magazine.
As received, after the second factory visit, rifle was returned with a note that trigger pull (measured with a RCBS scale) is 5-1/2#.
My Wheeler scale still indicates a 7# pull.
No mention that the failure to fire issue was addressed.
A question for you...Would you be satisfied with a $1000 rifle with a 5-1/2# pull? How about a 7# pull?

On a scale of 1 to 10 measuring "Happy Campers" I am a 1.
Seeing if anyone else has the same issues..

Thanks.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:58 pm

CT: Rifle continues to have problem with 3 cartridges in the magazine. The trigger pull is absolutely affecting my accuracy, as well.
Who is CS at Henry??
There are several videos of Long Rangers on You Tube. Trigger pulls are discussed and NONE of them are as heavy as my rifle.
I am an experienced rifleman and have reworked triggers on several of my bolt action rifles. Since my Henry rifle is under warranty, I have not attempted to make any adjustments since I believe that is Henry's responsibility.
Apparently they believe that a 5-1/2# trigger pull (using THEIR scale) is adequate.
I have asked to send the rifle to HQ to let Mr Imperato see for himself what I have to deal with.
So far, no response.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:07 pm

I had my 308 LR back to Rice Lake (once) and it came back in fine shape, so it's always disappointing to hear about multiple trips.

That said, the different trigger weights from different devices is something researching further, as CT suggests. Some comparisons on different firearms would be interesting, but unless you have an RCBS scale, it could be tough to carry off.

Even odder is the "rifle won't fire with 3 rounds in the mag" issue. It holds four rounds, so is that to say that it will fire just fine when there are four in the mag (+ one in the chamber), or is it a matter of loading up the mag (with four rounds), chambering one (leaving three in the mag), at which point it won't fire? What happens if there are TWO in the mag and one in the chamber, one in the mag and one in the chamber? Would also be helpful to understand what "will not fire" amounts to: hammer won't fall? Entire action frozen up? Just trying to figure out how the number of rounds in the mag interfaces with the firing mechanics...

All else fails, as has been noted here many times, a nice email to Anthony Imperato explaining your multiple trip scenario usually seems to get results.

In the long run, you'll be happy; it's just too bad that it takes longer than necessary to get there.

Please do keep us posted on the problem and the solution when you get a chance!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm

ESquared :Lever will not fully close with 3 rounds in magazine so trigger cannot be pulled. Four works fine as do two and one.
FWIW, a 5-1/2 # trigger pull is not acceptable for me. I know that there are legal issues that affect what is possible, but if You Tube is to be believed, Henry has produced Long Rangers with far better trigger results than what is installed in my rifle.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Bob, please call Customer Service on the telephone. You'll get right through to someone. Explain what your experience has been and what your complaints about the rifle are. You will be satisfied.

Here is a list of contacts at HRA that our member Mags keeps up to date. Please keep us informed.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 127#p70193
Bad Bob wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:58 pm
CT: Rifle continues to have problem with 3 cartridges in the magazine. The trigger pull is absolutely affecting my accuracy, as well.
Who is CS at Henry??
There are several videos of Long Rangers on You Tube. Trigger pulls are discussed and NONE of them are as heavy as my rifle.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 pm

I sent an Email to Henry HQ, requesting that it be forwarded to Mr. Imperato. Too late in the workday for a response today. I will post a response when it is received.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:06 pm

I can understand your frustration over the failure to chamber with three rounds and this should have been resolved by the factory with no excuses.
Two trips back is unacceptable.

However with regard to the 5 1/2 LB trigger this is not unusual for a production made rifle.
Does Henry guarantee a no greater than trigger pull weight for the Long Ranger?
I can understand it not being acceptable to you - and it would not be for me either but production guns' trigger pull is going to vary and this is typically something the owner needs to resolve - either by himself or with a gunsmith.
This is not unlike a lot of things. If the action is not as smooth as you like (but functions) then it is up to you to decide how to improve it. Lets say the the LOP is too short for you - this is for you to resolve and not the factory.

Bottom line is if certain aspects of the gun are not 'guaranteed' such as trigger pull, a particular minimum MOA accuracy or any other operational aspect of it then it is up to you to decide how and what you want to do to improve it.
The 'lifetime warranty' does not typically include tuning or modifications.
Last edited by Mistered on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:14 pm

I had a bolt jamming problem with my LR.
Some rounds would not chamber and the bolt would be jammed with a 1/8 inch of it sticking out the back of the receiver and the lever not fully closed.
In trying to figure it out I made some dummy rounds with primer removed. None of these would chamber with the bolt would jammed and lever partially open. I made more dummy rounds with spent primers and none of these would chamber either. Snap caps worked a couple of times until a divot formed in the snap cap where the primer would be. Finally gave up and sent the rifle to Henry. The repair note: adjusted bolt lockup timing gear.
When I got it back, I put all my dummy rounds and snap caps through the rifle again and it worked fine. So timing adjustment was the correct repair.

The 2nd problem I had with my LR was mostly a problem with the magazine. I would frequently have rounds go nose up in the receiver and not chamber. When I tried to clear that round the next round in the magazine would come up and I'd then have two rounds stuck in the chamber. I could open the lever and shake both rounds out. Nose up was solved by disassembling the magazine, removing the lift spring and flattening it some. I seldom get nose up jams now and the ones I do get on occasion I attribute to my sometimes slow cycling of the lever. While I had the magazine apart I found some burrs inside and removed them. I think they might have been causing a tilt problem with the lift plate in the magazine when the lift plate encountered the burr.

Anyway some thoughts, that might help you figure yours out.
Bad Bob wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 pm
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks for your input. Understand that I do not want or expect a "hair" trigger. Since there are multiple articles and videos of other LR's with considerably lighter trigger pull than my rifle exhibits, I consider it a fair request for the factory to replace components, as necessary to improve my triggers performance.
I wish that it was possible for any of you that have responded to this thread to have the rifle in YOUR hands, to experience firsthand, what I have experienced .
Certainly, any manufacturer can produce a "lemon" on occasion and Henry offers a replacement in the literature furnished with my rifle. We shall see if that option exists in my case.
I believe that the failure to fire issue is caused by the magazine spring being too powerful. With 3 rounds in the magazine, the top round is forced into contact with the bottom of the bolt, causing it to not fully close. Obviously, the rifle cannot be fired with an open bolt. A competent technician ought to be able to see that with no trouble.
I coveted a Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoor since Henry first announced that caliber addition to the LR line. A shame that this beautiful rifle has mechanical issues similar to surplus, foreign made junk.
0 x