Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Model Henry

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: New Model Henry

Post by daytime dave » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:35 am

I'm kind of curious about this gun. I'm very interested. We want to get a small farm soon and it could be very handy I think. I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Thanks Al.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 am

Evidently Kentucky Gun Co. approached several manufacturers with the idea and Henry was the one that tackled it. Looks like a neat concept, but pricey for the limited use I'd have for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_gun

This is the video from kygun.co where he talks about the origin.

https://youtu.be/Ni3RdFqGnK8
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 am

Here, moles are a huge problem. Don't think this garden gun would be very effective at penetrating a dirt mound with an active mole present in the mound. A .410 with #4 shot works pretty well, even though it's a futile effort. Never ending supply of moles to deal with.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:06 pm

These 'garden guns' are a cute concept but in reality are kind of a gimmick with limited practical use.
Most outdoor rodents stay pretty well hidden from view as well as beyond the range of someone with gun having a 5-10' effective range.
Keep a 'barn' cat or two around if you have a rodent problem.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Mistered wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:06 pm
These 'garden guns' are a cute concept but in reality are kind of a gimmick with limited practical use.
Most outdoor rodents stay pretty well hidden from view as well as beyond the range of someone with gun having a 5-10' effective range.
Keep a 'barn' cat or two around if you have a rodent problem.
I'd say the practical use is just about non-existent, simply because 84% of the population lives in cities and burbs where shooting anything will likely get you arrested. The other 16% (like me) who live out in the country already have what they need for pest control. It's useless as a defensive weapon also, unless you can club somebody with it. My opinion is that it will have a short production life, which may make it attractive for collectors interested in a long term investment. But other than that it will likely be a range toy for a short time, then spend the rest of it's life in a closet.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 pm

When I was a teenager, I had access to rat shooting paradise. My grandfather, uncle, and several family friends had commercial chicken houses. We were tasked with keeping the rats in control, and 22 shotshells were all we were allowed to use inside the houses. Most of us shot revolvers, but I can tell you a rifle like this would have been a hit.

I reload 357 and 45 Colt shotshells just for the fun of it, but almost all of my vermin control is done with an air rifle now. It's quiet as a mouse and good out to 50 yards or so.
0 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:31 pm

Old thread but a new subject for me.

Yes... I now have one of those guns no one needs....well... hardly. Traded for it because I am just curious about these things and have actually handled a few but ran into one that a guy bought without realizing what he was getting and so I made a real nice deal on it.

They are interesting and low and behold fun as heck to shoot. I do live in the country. Wether or not I can put it to use remains to be seen but I have, in the past, had to do a way with pests in difficult locations so could, rarely, put one to use. But also are beautiful little things in their black Ash stocks and they are fun to shoot at that! I dunno if they are necessary... but they are cool. And fun.

Finding rat shot aint easy now days. I have found some of the CCI stuff. I only had one box when I got this. I also found some Federal Game Shok to try. This is the old crimped end stuff like old days. I am thinking it might even work. better than the CCI plastic tip. I think it might have a bit more shot in it.

But who needs one of these? I dunno... maybe everybody!
585F3995-2CC4-4CE2-ACDC-8A6DD000F3C8_1_201_a.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:52 pm

congrats on the very nice addition to you collection of Henry rifles .... looking forward to hearing your range reports and use impressions .... be sure to add it and your AR-7 that didn't get added a while back to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 63#p161463
0 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 am

Ok well heres some history. The concept was and is not new. They been around a long time. Was news to me too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_gun

And another note that you probably haven't thought of...

""The origins of this concept

Back in the late 1800s, trick exhibition rifle shooters such as Annie Oakley and Buffalo Bill Cody made audiences cheer when they smoked glass balls, soda crackers, and other items thrown into the air with expert shots from their seemingly normal rifles. Well, don't tell the kids, but just as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny weren't all they appeared to be, neither were many of these shooters. Many of these trick shots used smoothbore rifles firing rimfire shot shells. These rounds, what we would call rat-shot or snake-shot today, gave the guns much better accuracy and allowed point shooting with a reasonable chance of hitting the target.
Don't get us wrong, Annie and Bill were expert shots, but their choice of guns did give them a little insurance when performing in front of a crowd. It's all about showmanship after all."
0 x