United States of America

New Model Henry

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 pm

The Henry Garden Gun Smoothbore .22 LR Shotshell
Model: H001GG
Caliber: .22 LR Shotshell
UPC: 619835011213
MSRP: $421

Just got this in an email from Henry. Sounds like people are asking for pest control guns. New Model to come out soon.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: New Model Henry

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Talk about niche! Ammo is pricey, too. About $.20/rd to start. Beyond that, not knowledgeable enough to comment further.

Just have to give 'em credit for studying the market and seeing a void they could fill...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:51 pm

.22 shot won't spread as fast out of a smooth bore as it does out of a rifled bore, but I don't see much in the way of sales for this. I carry a .22mag lcr out in the garden/yard loaded with a mix of CCI shot and Hornady 45 grn CD. I've used it a few times for the stray copperhead we have occasionally. At snake distances ( 4 or 5 feet at most) #12 shot works just fine from it. If it's a larger critter like a rabid 'coon #12 shot might sting it a bit, but that's when the Hornady enters the picture.

I can't imagine slinging a rifle for this when a small sidearm works.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Yeah, Henry being a niche player is a perfect description with this rifle. The caliber surprised me. Might have been included in the "wish list" Henry has gathered from their web site. I can see it being saddled with the abbreviated name of "Henry GGS." ;)

When I had my Bond Arms Derringer, I carried it along sometimes when I was at my SIL's outdoor range. Lots of snakes near the pond I used to walk around. Either with my BA .38 special or .22LR barrels, shotshells in those calibers would have worked fine. I probably would not carry a Henry rifle there for the same purpose.

Will be interesting to see how this Henry rifle sells.
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:35 pm

When I saw the announcement of a new gun I was hoping for maybe a sidegate in a pistol caliber or a SS in that 45 colt caliber. :(
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:56 pm

I don't want to criticize HRA for naming the new Henry Garden Gun Smoothbore .22 LR Shotshell (or whatever is its niche purpose), but I do understand the wide fear of snakes (my late mother-in-law could not even bear to see a photo of one). Nonetheless, here in CT...
CT DEEP wrote: ...Snakes Should NEVER Be Killed!

Hundreds of snakes are needlessly killed by people each year because of mistaken identity, fear, and misunderstanding. Very often, when a snake is found near a home, people panic and may even assume that the snake is dangerous or venomous. Few Connecticut residents realize that they are unlikely to encounter a venomous snake around their home. The two venomous snake species found in Connecticut (Timber Rattlesnake and Copperhead) do not have wide distributions. These venomous snakes, along with the other 12 Connecticut snake species, are NOT aggressive and will only bite if threatened or handled. If left alone, snakes pose no threat to people. If you encounter a snake in your yard or while out on a walk in the woods, observe and enjoy it from a distance and allow it to go on its way.

https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a= ... v_GID=1655
Look at this cool snake that spent a short time in my watergarden. It feeds on fish, frogs, and other aquatic life and anchors its tail to the bottom to appear as if it's a plant! "It is a species of special concern in Connecticut due to declining numbers and the loss and degradation of its wetland habitats."
Eastern Ribbon Snake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:57 pm

This topic got me researching, as I knew absolutely nothing about 22LR Shotshells. Took less than a couple seconds to find this YT vid, where a guy conducts a test of CCI 31 gr 22LR shotshells, but does so, interestingly, out of a Ruger 10/22.

With the notes above about this round not doing well out of a rifled barrel, it makes me wonder how accurate/fair his assessment is. On the other hand, when it's not potent enough to make the semi-auto cycle, that seems like a red flag!

Would be interesting to see a similar "test" done with the new Henry Garden Gun (agree, odd name) and either this same ammo or, even better, a variety of loads.

I'm with most everybody above: I could think of a half-dozen "suggestion box" long-guns that HRA could have rolled out before this one, but to each his own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh0jCg8Ymuo
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Back when I was a kid, I used shot shell .22 to do in birds in my grand fathers orchard.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

jimbo510
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jimbo510 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:49 pm

I like the idea, but rat shot is too expensive for what you get. Maybe they made the gun for a particular new rat shot round yet to be released by a manufacturer. perhaps steel or some other non toxic shot just in case you hit an innocent tomato you wont poison anyone. But seriously if it was not for the expensive price of 22 rat shot I would be interested as a back yard plinker
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 pm

If you reload you can easily make your own pistol caliber shotshells and they are vastly superior to any .22 offering.
You can make them with cardboard 'wads' but the plastic capsules made specifically for this work very well.
One 'Old School' method is to use gas checks as 'wads' - with one on top of the powder and another inverted on top of the shot then crimped to hold it in place.
Google 'Homemade pistol shotshells' and you will find a plethora of information.
0 x