Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Opinions....

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Opinions....

Post by Mistered » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 am

I have been involved in a discussion about pistol caliber rifles on another forum and Henry has been brought up.
One member has often referred to them as 'junk' in many previous posts and in this one he again stated it:
Henry’s are absolute junk imho, I’ll never buy another even to resell.
So, I followed up with this:
You have mentioned this many times and I and I am wondering what your specific experience with a Henry is/was that led you to this conclusion?
Henrys are no doubt relatively high production rifles and have their share of problems but no more than reported about as many other production guns. Also consider the many recalls over the years.
My 2103 BBB Henry .357 has been excellent, with a fit and finish rivaling that of considerably higher end guns.
It is also very smooth, with a great trigger and very accurate.
I will however criticize Henry on a variety of basic issues I see that could have been improved and I suspect they might have been intentionally left unchanged to facilitate production or to maintain a price point. Some of these issues have since been changed and improved on.
Overall I think the Henry is good rifle given the numbers they produce and their customer service is excellent.
I have read and heard from many who have either had to send their rifles back for service or just been sent replacement parts (no charge) and have been very satisfied. Also just this morning I read on another forum Henry is replacing a complete rifle for an owner who had to send his back twice for a last round feeding problem that was not resolved.
In all fairness there have been a few who have been less than satisfied however it is nothing in comparison to reports from people who claim ZERO customer service from other manufacturers.
It will be interesting to read his response (if he responds) and I'll post it if anyone would care to see it.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Opinions....

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Sure Id lie to know. Like to know his reason for thinking there junk also. Let me guess is this from the know it all crowd on the same forum that claimed 1860's were Ubertis.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:05 pm

I have had good Fords and bad ones, good lawn tractors and bad ones, etc etc...it happens with everything. The HRA BB 45 Colt I had was top notch. Guy I sold it to loves it. My Uberti is great too, but I see people knock them as well sometimes.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:47 pm

There are brand loyal folks who just tout their brands, then those who aren't satisfied unless they not only brag on their brand, but bring down everything else. No matter what the product. I have seen it with cars/trucks, firearms, kayaks, you name it.

Often, when pushed, you get this:

"Well, I have never (owned, driven, paddled, shot, handled, or seen one...) Myself... But my cousin's sister's brother's uncle's sister's friend told me. Why would he lie?"
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Credibilty. ..

Once you lose it, you can't buy it back. :roll:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm

I wonder if he bases his opinion on ownership experience, or just here say from a friend who may have had a bad experience.
Maybe there is no basis for his claim, other than the fact he owns a different brand and wishes he had bought a Henry.
Anyway...I totally disagree with him, as I'm sure many of us do.
I am totally happy with my Henry rifles.☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:57 pm

There's brand snobbery in every corner of the consumer goods world, and maybe even more so in firearms. Seems like it's 99% personal opinion, based on anecdotes and hearsay.

Was part of a DSLR (photo) forum for many years and the Nikon vs. Canon stuff was gruesome. But they're both great companies that make great stuff.

Will be eager to hear this KIA/s response..
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Let me guess is this from the know it all crowd on the same forum that claimed 1860's were Ubertis.
No, this is on a Pacific Northwest based gun forum that is very popular and I have been a member of for many years.
I has a large member base, a lot of commercial sponsorships and a lot of knowledgeable & friendly people, some of which I have come to know personally over the years.
Unfortunately like all forums there are the opinionated 'know it alls' who take a negative approach to things they either have one bad experience with, or the item does not meet their needs based on skewed, narrow-minded ideas.
The forum has a wide cross-section of members consisting of a lot of 'seasoned', experienced gun owners down to younger newbees who think if it ain't black & plastic its of no use, outdated or ancient.
You get the picture.....
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm going to suggest that if he responds, it will not be informative or honest, but it will certainly be defensive. Once someone like that publicly makes a declarative, definitive, and unfounded statement, it's unlikely that he would later admit to having expressed a poorly considered criticism. He will simply say that he's right and he'll continue to believe it.

Thankfully, we are entitled to our own, well-considered opinions; and most of us will proudly continue to admire our Henrys for the great rifles that they are.
Mistered wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 am
It will be interesting to read his response (if he responds) and I'll post it if anyone would care to see it.
5 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:37 pm

That's what I tell my wife...it's not a lie if I believe it.
:)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully