Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Opinions....

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Opinions....

Post by Rifletom » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am

wingnut, likin' that quad picture! Kinda sums up the anti Henry gibberish. Oh-oh!
0 x

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Having a rifle and pistol that shoot the same ammo is simply a hangover from the age where that was a good idea and ammo was scarce.
For those who choose the same route today, I have no bone to pick.
What I fail to understand is why anyone would "hunt" with a pistol caliber when an array of other, more suitable, calibers and rifles are readily available?
Not trying to start a war, just a question?
1 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:50 pm

If I didn't want or need to buy another rifle to hunt, I'd hunt with the rifle I have. That's my thinking.
Bad Bob wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 pm
Having a rifle and pistol that shoot the same ammo is simply a hangover from the age where that was a good idea and ammo was scarce.
What I fail to understand is why anyone would "hunt" with a pistol caliber when an array of other, more suitable, calibers and rifles are readily available?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:06 pm

There could be a lot of reasons.
The person might have bought their PC rifle not necessaiy intending to hunt with it but then realizes it will be adaquate for what they are hunting and decide to use it.
Could be for varmint hunting and not necessarily big game. I am going to use my .357 BBB on some coyote hunting this winter for the challenge.
And a common issue - one already loads for a certain caliber and realizes a rifle they like is in one of those calibers so no need for additional dies, brass etc.
I'm sure there are other reasons as well.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Suitable is an opinion, firearms one ' Enjoys ' shooting is another! And the satisfaction that goes along with it.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Having a rifle and pistol that shoot the same ammo is simply a hangover from the age where that was a good idea and ammo was scarce. For those who choose the same route today, I have no bone to pick. What I fail to understand is why anyone would "hunt" with a pistol caliber when an array of other, more suitable, calibers and rifles are readily available? Not trying to start a war, just a question?
no war necessary .... bottom line, to each his own .... for me a firearm is a tool .... when it comes to tools, I find I enjoy working with some better than I do with others .... I try to match a tool I like with the job I want it to do .... I have a history that goes back to the mid '60's of liking a 44 Mag .... a Ruger 44 Mag carbine is one of my favorite all time rifles .... when I bear, boar and deer hunted the northern slope of Mt Mitchel all shots were less than 50 yards and most were less than 30 .... another of my favorite rifles (a Browning BLR 308) spent most of the time in its gun case where it served as a backup .... the 308 had a much longer range and very solid ballistics but for where we hunted, it couldn't kill any of the critters we put in the freezer any deader than the 44 .... I still feel that way today
2 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 am

Also, in some jurisdictions, only "straight walled" case rifle ammunition is permitted for hunting, one reason why Winchester introduced a cartridge that is a whisker behind the .35 Remington in performance, but would be legal, while the bottle neck cartridge would not. And not everyone wants to shoot a 45-70 ;) . Or 38-55, 444 Marlin, etc.
1 x