Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Failure to cycle

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
ozark75
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Failure to cycle

Post by ozark75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:10 pm

I have a BBB .357.38. I have shot .38 and .357 from 125gr to 158gr (approximately 300 total rounds). And, for some reason, without fail, the 10th round always gets stuck after ejecting number 9 spent case. No matter the caliber or bullet weight. Every single time, number 10 won't feed. Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Failure to cycle

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?
IF you are loading .357 Mag I think ten rounds is one too many .
I can load nine in my BBB tube without kicking the lever open but at ten it will.
300 rounds is still not too many for a 'break in'
I do not experience any feed issues even with Xtreme 158 grain SWC bullets which are a very 'radical' design for a SWC bullet and the fact mine cycles them is amazing.
I recommend dropping one round and only load nine for a while and see what happens.
Opinions may vary but I find when I chamber a round BEFORE loading the tube with EIGHT rounds it is as smooth as silk.
I also recommend a complete teardown and a detailed cleaning along with an inspection of all interactive parts and any sharp edges dressed down, stoned and polished for improved action.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:19 pm

My BBB does not do that. It will load and cycle ten SAAMI 158 grain JSP/JHP .357s. Contact HRA CS and describe the issue.
ozark75 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:10 pm
I have a BBB .357.38. I have shot .38 and .357 from 125gr to 158gr (approximately 300 total rounds). And, for some reason, without fail, the 10th round always gets stuck after ejecting number 9 spent case. No matter the caliber or bullet weight. Every single time, number 10 won't feed. Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Only when loading 10?
Not with nine or one even?
It is not just the last one? is has to be number 10.

If it is the last one I'd suspect the mag follower.

If not the tear down as MrEd suggested.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:53 pm

I don't think most understand how much crap is left in the load tube that probably NEVER gets cleaned out - both internal and external.
I am also thinking the load tube spring in problematic Henrys might be due to it being too long and could benefit from having a few coils clipped off.
This will require the muzzle end plug being removed to remove the spring which while being trimmed will also allow the spring and inner tube to be cleaned which I suspect most Henry owners have never done.
I get tired of people thinking 'contacting' HRA or sending their rifle back to them is going to be the 'Holy Grail' and take care of everything.
Not all rifles are the same or assembled by the same person.
Minor adjustments or corrections should be an accepted consequence of owning a something as unique as a Henry rifle.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Mag tube and follower all spic-n-span clean? Ojai's and Ed's suggestions are all good. Like, What happens if you load 6?

Watch the video and tear it down. Sounds like something is gunked up inside (big gunsmithing term, gunked up).
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ozark75
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ozark75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:28 pm

I never thought to try loading less than 10 and see what happens.

Everything else seems to work flawlessly. The rod goes in, no problem. Doesn't take extra effort or anything, just slides in and twists (locks) into place.

The first 9 are smooth as can be. The lever moves nice and smooth. Feels solid and crisp. No hiccups at all, just on 10.
1 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:38 pm

ozark75 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:28 pm
I never thought to try loading less than 10 and see what happens.

Everything else seems to work flawlessly. The rod goes in, no problem. Doesn't take extra effort or anything, just slides in and twists (locks) into place.

The first 9 are smooth as can be. The lever moves nice and smooth. Feels solid and crisp. No hiccups at all, just on 10.
I had this problem with my BBSC 357. It was always the last round regardless of how many I loaded. I emailed HRA customer service and they sent me a new magazine tube with a polymer follower. The tube that came with my rifle had a painted metal follower. The new tube solved the problem with my rifle.
1 x

ozark75
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ozark75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:49 pm

I'm not very gun saavy at all (as far as the inner workings are concerned). But, it doesn't seem like it is tube related. When number 10 won't load, the lever isn't returning to the closed position. I can see inside the chamber and it seems like the round is only getting partially lifted into place. I can jiggle the round with my finger and then close the lever. Sometimes its just loose, and sometimes its pretty tight.

Not sure what all of that means. I don't want to have to ship it back for repairs, but I am in no way confident in my ability to take it completely apart, perform repair work, and put it back together myself.
0 x

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:51 am

Have you tried emailing Henry for advice
0 x