Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

a little disappointed.....

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
mmargotta
Tenderfoot
United States of America

a little disappointed.....

Post by mmargotta » Thu May 30, 2019 3:19 pm

I just got back from my gun store with my new Henry .22 Frontier 24" octagon.
Looking it over it seems, every bit of what I expect from Henry; smooth lines, great fit, excellent wood grain ect.
BUT.....as I'm looking at the receiver, I was a little disappointed when I realized the receiver was painted black.
I guess I just expected it to be blued steel. the fact that it has a plastic butt cover only slightly bothers me; but paint on the receiver just reminds me of post '64 Winchesters. I think that I expected more from a $450 rifle.
I haven't fired it yet, but the paint is bothering me big time.

Am I being to picky? Or should I just shoot it and enjoy.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: a little disappointed.....

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Yes and yes.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 pm

That rifle is about $650 Canadian in my local hardware store and I had the same thoughts. Love the octagon barrel though.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Thats tough to answer as you obviously did not know this until you brought it home.
If it really bothers you and YOU think this will inhibit your appreciation of it then you may have some choices to consider.
OR you can take it out shooting and see if you can overcome the paint issue.
I can understand you comparing it to the post '64 Winchesters however the finish on these was still a chemical process and not paint.
Depending on the year the finish was either the Win Blue, oxy black or a black chrome plating depending on the model and year.
I have a 1968 'Buffalo Bill' commemorative that has the black chrome and it is very durable and has held up well over many years of moderate usage.
I also had a mid '70s mod 94 that had the WIn Blue and was a very nice finish and it too held up very well.
Fortunately only the receivers were given these finishes as the barrels and other steel parts are traditionally blued.
BB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 pm

mmargotta, First thing. Welcome to the Henry Forum. Fun place to be with a lot of nice folks here. We also have a walking encyclopedia called NorthCountryGal. Ask the question and 99.99 % she will have the right answer on what you need to know.
Now to the painted receiver problem. There is a fix that you may like. It requires stripping the paint and primer off and going to the aluminum. Here is mine I stripped because of the terrible orange peel in the black plus I scratched it and could stand it that way.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, mmargotta. As for the paint thing, our Sir Henry, here, has found a way to give those painted receivers a very authentic traditional antique look. I'll see if I can find some of his old posts. As for me being a walking encyclopedia, well, I've been called many things, but I'll do my best to live up to that one. :) Seriously, if you have any questions, just ask.
4 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:31 pm

I recently bought one of those, too. I'm really not concerned about the receiver finish, because, for one, it would have been a lot more spendy if it was blued steel, and, second, there are a lot of ways to refinish it, including a faux case color look. I do wish Henry would offer as an option a version I saw on one of the original German made (can't think of the brand off the top of my head :oops: ) versions of this same rifle. It was a lightly engraved "French Gray" looking receiver cover. It was sharp!
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 30, 2019 8:25 pm

As promised, here's some examples of old posts by Sir Henry that show what he did on his painted receivers.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 30, 2019 11:07 pm

the links to the posts aren't showing...
North Country Gal wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:25 pm
As promised, here's some examples of old posts by Sir Henry that show what he did on his painted receivers.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 30, 2019 11:10 pm

Read earlier posts by others then shoot it and enjoy.
mmargotta wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:19 pm
I just got back from my gun store with my new Henry .22 Frontier 24" octagon.
Looking it over it seems, every bit of what I expect from Henry; smooth lines, great fit, excellent wood grain ect.
BUT.....as I'm looking at the receiver, I was a little disappointed when I realized the receiver was painted black.
I guess I just expected it to be blued steel. the fact that it has a plastic butt cover only slightly bothers me; but paint on the receiver just reminds me of post '64 Winchesters. I think that I expected more from a $450 rifle.
I haven't fired it yet, but the paint is bothering me big time.

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234