Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Potential Issue With The New Side Loaders

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Potential Issue With The New Side Loaders

Post by Mistered » Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 pm

I have been researching all online content about the new side loaders and have been for the most part fairly impressed until I discovered a potentially serious problem - the very thin spot on the frame between the top of the load gate opening and the ejection port. I was trying to post a picture but the new upgrades may be preventing this for now.
The thickness at this point appears to be less than about 1/8" - and closer to a 1/16". This (in my opinion) is too thin for a frame location and I see a very real possibility of it cracking at this point.
By contrast a Marlin 336 has about a 1/4" (or greater) thickness at this location.
Hey - I am not passing judgement but am pointing out something I perceive as a very real problem.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Potential Issue With The New Side Loaders

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 03, 2019 6:41 am

I think I know the spot you're talking about. I've only seen pictures, but it does look pretty thin at the aft end of the load port. However, it doesn't look like it's going to be subject to any significant stress in that area either. If it were going to crack, I think the test&eval on the prototypes would have revealed it.

But, I agree it is something to be aware of.

As a point of comparison, there are large areas on commercial jet liners where the skin is .08" thick aluminum, and stress cracking is very rare - usually associated with poor maintenance on aging aircraft.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Does anyone really think that H.R.A. would build a rifle that they were not sure would be safe because of a design defect?
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Travlin wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm
Does anyone really think that H.R.A. would build a rifle that they were not sure would be safe because of a design defect?
absolutely not .... I have no doubt that their engineering and design staff have taken this and who knows how many more items into consideration .... that said, real world use often finds defects and/or weaknesses that didn't show up in the factory testing .... the good news is, when a Henry product has an issue, they will repair or replace it
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Sounds like how a Winchester man slams a Marlin
I mean, just saying.
Mistered wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 pm
I have been researching all online content about the new side loaders and have been for the most part fairly impressed until I discovered a potentially serious problem - the very thin spot on the frame between the top of the load gate opening and the ejection port. I was trying to post a picture but the new upgrades may be preventing this for now.
The thickness at this point appears to be less than about 1/8" - and closer to a 1/16". This (in my opinion) is too thin for a frame location and I see a very real possibility of it cracking at this point.
By contrast a Marlin 336 has about a 1/4" (or greater) thickness at this location.
Hey - I am not passing judgement but am pointing out something I perceive as a very real problem.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon May 13, 2019 10:29 pm

Sounds like how a Winchester man slams a Marlin
No, it is how a long time, experienced owner of BOTH Winchesters and Marlins sees it.
A Winchester is a top eject so this does not apply.
This same area on a Marlin is approximately a 1/4" - see attached pic.
scope-630x339.jpg
Now look at the same area on the Henry (identified with the red arrow) - considerably thinner:
NEW.jpg
I am simply pointing this out as an experienced gun owner (as well as a metal fabricator) this is a potential weak area and should have been designed with a little more 'meat' in this area - make sense?
I like my Henry and respect the company but I am NOT one who puts 'idolatry' of a product over potential problems I see - and might have been overlooked.
The fact remains this area is very thin and will be subject to a fair amount of concussion impact from the larger cartridges.
Heck they had rifles with the load tubes cracking and they weren't anywhere the receiver - just saying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue May 14, 2019 6:08 am

You got a good eye. Nice catch!

P.S.
I got a Marlin like that too.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 am

Since this is no more than a receiver cover, how could this become an issue?
The "thin spot" is, as previously stated, not an area that will be subject to a lot of punishment.

The "battering" from fired cases will be negligible.
Ammo brass is soft, and the receiver cover is hardened.
I do not see this being a problem.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue May 14, 2019 9:34 am

Since this is no more than a receiver cover
This IS the receiver - there is no 'cover' as say on some Henry 22s. The thin spot I identified is part of the receiver.
The fact that ammo brass is soft has nothing to do with it. The case is supported by the chamber and the receiver absorbes the concussion from the fired round.
Ever seen a blown case? If so you would understand how much pressure is generated at the time of discharge.
Last edited by Mistered on Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 am

Well, we have at least one live tester among us, so a range report from BigAl would be great. Beyond that, all we can do is see what happens with other "early adopters," about which the interweb will undoubtedly keep us informed.

If that area is going to fail, it seems like we'll hear about it soon enough. If it doesn't, we won't. Beyond that, we're all just speculating.
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357