Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Safe loading of your Henry

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Safe loading of your Henry

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:27 pm

If I do that, the first round won't feed/lift to the chamber when the lever is closing.
Omegaspeedy wrote:I always load lever open with no worries at all. This also allow you to get one in the chamber too. It's never jammed or done anything out of the ordinary.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 pm

Omegaspeedy wrote:I always load lever open with no worries at all. This also allow you to get one in the chamber too. It's never jammed or done anything out of the ordinary.
Yes you could do that, in the sport though all cartridges must be loaded through the magazine.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 pm

At fear of sounding condescending, I think common sense comes into play here. Just be aware and careful of how you do WHAT YOU DO. ya never know what could happen...use C/S and be careful. Good thread though to help keep everyone alert!
SAFETY FIRST!!!
5 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:14 am

Jenkinsd wrote:
RanchRoper wrote:With my 1860 I have a slight angle while I cradle in my right arm. Then the rounds are loaded with my left hand. The angle is enough they slide but no slamming into each other. Load same way every time. 12 rounds later, it's go time.
So I'm wondering how much force does a firing pin have to ignite the primer? Think you would get that kind of force from rounds siding down the tube?
All I am able to add is that I have read posts on other forums mostly on CASS forums where people have either experienced or have seen where accidents have occurred because people have been less than careful. It's possible this may in addition to how a particular primer is protruding from the case, who knows?? But frankly I think there are safe habit that make sense to follow. Regardless personally I plan on taking care because I have no need to test that theory. With the Original Henry that also includes making sure I don't let the magizine follow slam into rounds as well.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:14 am

it seems we're all in violent agreement about the basics: slide 'em in gently, no slamming of one cartridge into the next one.
I agree.
While the chance of a concussion or pressure detonation of a round (non-direct primer impact) is incredibly rare i had one once (fortunately not in a rifle) it is still NOT a good idea for rounds to fall unrestricted such as if loaded vertically.
There is always the chance of a slightly high primer that could be struck and detonate. While possible but not probable I'll stick with a slower, more restricted slide in of the rounds while loading.
5 x

Omegaspeedy
Wrangler
Australia

Post by Omegaspeedy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Mags wrote:.
If I do that, the first round won't feed/lift to the chamber when the lever is closing.
Yes true if you don't drop one into the breach. Otherwise it's a double stroke to chamber one. My range requires the lever to be open if the rifle is not in use.
1 x
H006MR .357 Carbine How many 746
HO12R .44 How many 857

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 pm

Omegaspeedy wrote:
Yes true if you don't drop one into the breach. Otherwise it's a double stroke to chamber one. My range requires the lever to be open if the rifle is not in use.
Mine too.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:02 am

It jams. Loading with the lever open allows the first round partway into the receiver. It won't lift to the chamber because it's jams in place when closing the lever.
Omegaspeedy wrote:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:08 am

Have not incurred that problem. Guess I've always loaded with lever up, hammer down.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:49 am

Knowing that I can load my BBB with the lever open just like I load my Henry Octagon and Marlin 39 is kind of a relief. Its safe. Don't have to worry about the lever poping open.
I've got the double rack down already with the rimfires.
The grit my teeth 1895cb pops open on loading also, gotta hold the lever.
0 x
Pax at Justitia