Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How about a Henry Semi-auto 9mm carbine?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: How about a Henry Semi-auto 9mm carbine?

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:12 am

BUT, Henry is all about hunting,
Actually Henry is all about selling rifles regardless of their use. If they weren't (about selling rifles) they wouldn't make the large number of engraved & adorned 'special interest' rifles most of which will never be used for anything.
A 9mm lever in concept would be a great idea and would sell well. Cost and availability of ammo are a plus however one of the biggest hurdles would be with the action. It would be difficult to design a lever action that would reliably cycle the short 9MM round. Also a rimless cartridge adds additional challenges to the design of the action.
No doubt it could be done but it would be an engineering nightmare. It's unfortunate because a 9mm lever would be a fun and inexpensive plinker.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:32 am

Although they are in buisness to ultimately sell things and make money sometimes a buisness decision is made in favor of ones image and goes to the core about the type of product one sells. This type of gun would most certainly present a different image to the public. Whether they do that or not I have no idea but I think this definitely puts their current image and what they've been very successful at risk. So why would you want to take a very successful company and risk all of that on just one gun?
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:18 am

With regard to Henry making a Semi Auto 9mm rifle I don't think it would be a very good idea but not because of an 'image' issue.
Lots of people buy Ruger guns who have no interest in their 'black' guns.
I believe it's because Henry has created an 'impression' with the guns they make and as a company they are 'identified' with this style.
To develop something completely out of character might serve to 'cheapen' this impression they created.
Also as previously mentioned the market is flooded with black & plastic and from a basic business standpoint would not make much sense.
Last edited by Mistered on Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:54 am

"I really don't see them firing up a semi-auto line, ever." - That I agree with. Any hypothetical Henry 9mm I would expect to be Lever Action.

As for them actually doing lever action in 9mm, I have mixed thoughts. I'd think there were likely similar thoughts a few years ago before Henry launched the Long Ranger in .223/5.56, yet they did. And then I have to wonder how well that is turning out. Took me a long time to find a LGS that had one and they had to transfer it from another store. And the born date on it was in Jan 2018 so it had been there a while. LGSs I visited had Henry .308, .243. and 6.5. That with the unsold age of mine might imply the LR in .223/5.56 not all that popular. And corollary to your point a 9mm Henry might not be either.
GunnyGene wrote:
Mags wrote:.
Really a moot point, but a Henry .357 would be a better choice for spinning off a hypothetical conversion to 9mm (.354). For example, there are already revolvers available with a 2nd cylinder that allow shooting 9mm out a .357 barrel. Similarly, everything with a 'Henry 9mm' could stay the same as the .357 except for the chamber size.
True. But as with any business, it boils down to a financial decision. If they figure the potential profit is worth the risk they'll do it, if not, they won't. Rechambering for 9mm would be the easiest, but what would be the point? Cheaper ammo? Lower recoil? Show me the money. ;)

Their existing calibers are superior to 9mm for everything from squirrels to moose. And I really don't see them firing up a semi-auto line, ever. If I were on Henry's BoD, I'd vote No if the idea came up. :)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:31 pm

And then I have to wonder how well that is turning out.
I don't think the Long Rangers are going have a strong following in any caliber.
I am a lever fan (I own five) but would never have a LR, BLR or any 'hybrid' style lever action rifle.
If I am going to choose a rifle to shoot a rimless bottle neck 'typical' cartridge I will most likely go with a bolt, or a single shot.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:39 pm

Maybe a local thing. When I had Coastal Farm looking for the LR .223/5.56, we talked about the other calibers of the LR. There was a gentle push from the gun desk clerk there to buy the Creedmore and they had me on the fence for a while. As far as there LR sales, he said the Creedmoor was the one they sold most, but also said the .308 and .243 sold well too. First time I was there they had been sold out for a while and had just that week gotten more in stock. But they hadn't ordered any more .223/5.56. That they had to transfer from another store where it had sat for a while.

My son has an MSR and I didn't like the way it shot . The whole shooting experience of the LR .223/5.56 is way better (feels smoother, cleaner, simple and relaxing (when it didn't jam!)). I passed through Wickiup Junction last Thursday. Maybe I should have stopped by and let you shoot it :D
Mistered wrote:
... the Long Ranger in .223/5.56, yet they did. And then I have to wonder how well that is turning out.
I don't think the Long Rangers are going have a strong following in any caliber.
I am a lever fan (I own five) but would never have a LR, BLR or any 'hybrid' style lever action rifle.
If I am going to choose a rifle to shoot a rimless bottle neck 'typical' cartridge I will most likely go with a bolt, or a single shot.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:22 pm

I passed through Wickiup Junction last Thursday. Maybe I should have stopped by and let you shoot it
Hey I would have liked that!
Let me know next time you head over this way - I have a great spot to shoot right off Vandervert about a two miles south of Sunriver - and about a minute into the woods!
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:59 pm

How about a Henry Semi-auto 9mm carbine? :idea:

Nope.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:03 pm

wingnut wrote:
How about a Henry Semi-auto 9mm carbine? :idea:

Nope.
Best answer so far.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:31 pm

I may do that next time. Almost did this time but we were trying to get in front of the weather in the mountains. Had to skip Willamette pass and hustle north to the Santiam pass before the weather got there.
Mistered wrote:
I passed through Wickiup Junction last Thursday. Maybe I should have stopped by and let you shoot it
Hey I would have liked that!
Let me know next time you head over this way ...
0 x