Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How about a Henry Semi-auto 9mm carbine?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Karl Fairburne
Tenderfoot
United States of America

How about a Henry Semi-auto 9mm carbine?

Post by Karl Fairburne » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:28 pm

I think Henry would sell a million of them. What say you?
0 x

Karl Fairburne
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: How about a Henry Semi-auto 9mm carbine?

Post by Karl Fairburne » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:32 pm

I do believe Henry should consider making semi-auto carbines.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:39 pm

They could call it "The Henry Völkisch Gewehr". Leather strap included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Everybody and their brother pumps out black rifles. The market is saturated with them. It would cost Henry millions just to set up a production line, and millions more to try to break into that market, and very low probability of making a profit. Companies usually go belly up when they try to break out of their core competency, in this case lever guns. Bad idea.
4 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:11 pm

Don't think so. But they could create a lever action 9mm based on the BB .357, I think pretty easily. That might sell and still be within Henry's core competency.

There are some trick shooters out there than can shoot their lever actions fairly rapidly. Rivaling what a semi-auto can put out. Just gotta learn and practice it I'd say.
Karl Fairburne wrote:I think Henry would sell a million of them. What say you?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Mags wrote:.
Don't think so. But they could create a lever action 9mm based on the BB .357, I think pretty easily. That might sell and still be within Henry's core competency.

There are some trick shooters out there than can shoot their lever actions fairly rapidly. Rivaling what a semi-auto can put out. Just gotta learn and practice it I'd say.
They already make a BB in .327 Fed mag, so a 9mm technically wouldn't be a big deal. BUT, Henry is all about hunting, not personal defense. So the .327, being far more powerful than the 9mm luger, especially in a rifle, is a better fit with Henry's hunting image. The 9mm is too closely associated with personal defense (and criminals) than I think Henry would be comfortable with.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Probably about as likely as Glock making a 30-30 lever action rifle.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 pm

Really a moot point, but a Henry .357 would be a better choice for spinning off a hypothetical conversion to 9mm (.354). For example, there are already revolvers available with a 2nd cylinder that allow shooting 9mm out a .357 barrel. Similarly, everything with a 'Henry 9mm' could stay the same as the .357 except for the chamber size.
GunnyGene wrote: They already make a BB in .327 Fed mag, so a 9mm technically wouldn't be a big deal. BUT, Henry is all about hunting, not personal defense. So the .327, being far more powerful than the 9mm luger, especially in a rifle, is a better fit with Henry's hunting image. The 9mm is too closely associated with personal defense (and criminals) than I think Henry would be comfortable with.

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:07 am

Honestly, I think I would be disappointed in Henry if they started making black guns. The same goes with Marlin or Winchester. Let the military firms make those types of guns as it’s what they do best, and let the cowboy gun guys make what they make best.
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 am

Really a moot point, but a Henry .357 would be a better choice for spinning off a hypothetical conversion to 9mm (.354). For example, there are already revolvers available with a 2nd cylinder that allow shooting 9mm out a .357 barrel. Similarly, everything with a 'Henry 9mm' could stay the same as the .357 except for the chamber size.
True. But as with any business, it boils down to a financial decision. If they figure the potential profit is worth the risk they'll do it, if not, they won't. Rechambering for 9mm would be the easiest, but what would be the point? Cheaper ammo? Lower recoil? Show me the money. ;)

Their existing calibers are superior to 9mm for everything from squirrels to moose. And I really don't see them firing up a semi-auto line, ever. If I were on Henry's BoD, I'd vote No if the idea came up. :)
1 x