New BBS 44mag barrel issue

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Junior37
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New BBS 44mag barrel issue

Post by Junior37 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Hello all,

New member from CT with my 2nd Henry. Picked up a new BBS 44mag from Cabelas last month, cleaned it and threw her in the safe. Finally got a chance to shoot approx 50rds through this weekend and when i got home to clean it noticed marring in the barrel from breach to bore in a straight line. At first i thought it was just fowling but after cleaning it I took a closer look and it doesn't look good.

I had tried checking the barrel at Cabelas but it was near impossible since they zip tie the levers to the stocks on all thier lever guns now. Has anyone had any issues like this on the forum? I tried a search but only found one rifling issue near the crown. At least everything I read sounds like Henry has top notch customer service so I am suspecting it should be a smooth process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New BBS 44mag barrel issue

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:28 am

Looks kind of rough. How does it shoot?
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:11 am

KCMO.jpg
Welcome to the Forum from the Show-Me-State, Junior.

Sure sorry to see your first post with those not-so-good bore shots of your new Big Boy .44 Magnum. I might be the person that posted the crown rifling issues you mentioned. Had the problem back in 2017 with a new BBS .357 Carbine. Like you, I included photos of the crown damage.

From my perspective, and based on your photos, I'd give the rifle back to Henry. You are absolutely right in that Henry has "top-notch" Customer Service. They will make it good, either through their repair service or rifle replacement. My resolution/choice, however, was to request a complete refund. In total I had 3 different Big Boys all with serious problems, and back then had basically "quit" on buying or owning that Henry model rifle. Just this year I took the "plunge" and I have a Henry Big Boy All-Weather .357 Magnum. So far, it has been looking good.

Because of my experiences, I'd first go for a replacement. Just my choice.

Best as you work on resolving this. Keep us informed.
PT7
Junior37 wrote:Hello all,

New member from CT with my 2nd Henry. Picked up a new BBS 44mag from Cabelas last month...

Has anyone had any issues like this on the forum? I tried a search but only found one rifling issue near the crown. At least everything I read sounds like Henry has top notch customer service so I am suspecting it should be a smooth process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:16 am

Call Henry customer service, describe the barrel issue and tell them you are not satisfied. They most likely will have you return the rifle. My experience has been, you should have a repaired or new rifle within a week to 10 days.
Sorry you had this issue. No company is perfect but Henry should make it right. If not, email Anthony Imperato.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 am

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Nutmegger. As others have said, call Henry. It seems Blackdog has a similar issue with his 22Mag.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 779#p85779

Call Henry CS asap and describe your experience and the condition of the barrel. Keep us posted.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Junior37
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Junior37 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks for the replies. I will call them later today. The gun itself runs fine. Not sure on accuracy as I havent scoped it yet and was only shooting bowling pins at 50yrds. I will be asking for it to be replaced or re-barreled as I dont want a higher risk of corrosion or pitting to begin in the gouges.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am

Like others have said call Henry and they will take care of it. Just sent one in recently myself and had it back in about 10 days. Welcome to the forum glad you joined us.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:05 am

Welcome and sorry you have that issue on your new BBS. They are fine shooting rifles and have one also.
'Give them a call and they will get it fixed for you!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am

first welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... sorry to hear of the barrel issue and can only echo the positive comments about Henry's support after the sale .... looking forward to following your resolution and future post .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and had your Henry rifles to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 729#p85729
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:09 am

Welcome from Wickiup Junction, Oregon!
I would also at a minimum contact the Cabelas store you bought it from.
They (of all retailers) should have caught this themselves and never allowed it on the rack, and an 'outdoor' store NOT allowing one to open the action to inspect the barrel is wrong on another level.
Last edited by Mistered on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x