Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New BBS 44mag barrel issue

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New BBS 44mag barrel issue

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 am

Hello and welcome from the TV Oregon! Sad to see your new Henry has an issue. Like the others here said do call.
Junior37 wrote:Hello all,
New member from CT with my 2nd Henry. Picked up a new BBS 44mag from Cabelas last month, cleaned it and threw her in the safe. Finally got a chance to shoot approx 50rds through this weekend and when i got home to clean it noticed marring in the barrel from breach to bore in a straight line. At first i thought it was just fowling but after cleaning it I took a closer look and it doesn't look good.

I had tried checking the barrel at Cabelas but it was near impossible since they zip tie the levers to the stocks on all thier lever guns now. Has anyone had any issues like this on the forum? I tried a search but only found one rifling issue near the crown. At least everything I read sounds like Henry has top notch customer service so I am suspecting it should be a smooth process.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Welcome!!!!!!!!!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Junior37
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Junior37 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Ok, so quick update. Henry was quick with the approval and got the shipping label to me the next morning. Got her shipped out yesterday without issue at UPS.

So while I wait for her return I continue my reading on optics. Setting this gun up for white tail and occasional black bear. Right now i'm looking at the vx3i 1.5-5x or the vxr1-4x. Has anyone looked through these to comment on how the vx3i glass compares to thr vxr glass? When I purchased the rifle i was looking through the vxr offerings and they looked pretty clear but they didnt have the vx3i there to compare.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 pm

I have both. The R series is basically the same, optically, but offers the illuminated reticle and all versions use a 30mm tube. Definitely a bigger, heavier scope and way more expensive, but that illuminated reticle is great. Really designed for hunting, but I enjoy it for my target shooting, too.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 am

I love my Vortex Strike Eagle. Perfect for my Henry .30-30.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... dc-reticle

Junior37 wrote:Ok, so quick update. Henry was quick with the approval and got the shipping label to me the next morning. Got her shipped out yesterday without issue at UPS.

So while I wait for her return I continue my reading on optics. Setting this gun up for white tail and occasional black bear. Right now i'm looking at the vx3i 1.5-5x or the vxr1-4x. Has anyone looked through these to comment on how the vx3i glass compares to thr vxr glass? When I purchased the rifle i was looking through the vxr offerings and they looked pretty clear but they didnt have the vx3i there to compare.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Owly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Owly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 am

Junior 37, sorry to hear about the barrel issues with your BBS. I was hopeful the Rice Lake facility had resolved their barrel quality problems.
I too had a BBS with damaged bore several years ago. Tooling mark running in a straight line through rifling causing a deep gouge. Henry was accommodating and rebarreled the rifle for me. Unfortunately the rifle then shot around corners.
In the end, Anthony Imperato got involved and the entire rifle was replaced.
Again, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't mean for my post to sound disparaging of Henry, I just wanted to let you know this is not an unheard of abnormality in barrel quality coming out of the Rice Lake WI plant.
0 x

Junior37
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Junior37 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:43 pm

Mags wrote:.
I love my Vortex Strike Eagle. Perfect for my Henry .30-30.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... dc-reticle

Junior37 wrote:Ok, so quick update. Henry was quick with the approval and got the shipping label to me the next morning. Got her shipped out yesterday without issue at UPS.

Just checked out that scope you referenced. I’m looking for something with a simpler reticle. It reminds me of the Ta11 horse shoe reticle on my 6.8spc which has been my deer rifle for the past 6yrs. I’m pretty sure i’m going with the Vx3i referenced above with #4 reticle, just not sure if i’ll miss the illumination at dawn/dusk.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Don't know if you noticed, the Vortex has illumination. I also like the ladder recticle in the middle. With the scope zeroed at 50yds I know which rung of the ladder to use for hold over/under for different target distances. Anyway, best of wishes in your choice.
Junior37 wrote:... just not sure if i’ll miss the illumination at dawn/dusk.
0 x

Junior37
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Junior37 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:34 pm

So just a quick update. Henry was quick to send the shipping label(next day) and the rifle was mailed out Wed. It arrived Tuesday and was shipped out Thursday night back this way. No call or email so I assume it was re-barreled but I guess I will find out Wed when it gets here. Just received a case of Fiocchi 240’s to run through her and will report back after with a range report.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 am

Let us know what they did for you please.

Mags, that Vortex is great for .30-30, but the 100 yard parallax might be too far for .44 mag? I found Nikon’s Rimfire scopes work well withhandgun caliber because of their 75 yard parallax.
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF