Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry over the years

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Henry over the years

Post by JayZuv » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:28 am

I have noticed that with many firearms manufacturers, there are typically certain years for their guns that are more highly regarded than others. Although HRA isn’t as old as many, has that been true with them as well? Has there been changes to the firearms since they began, or have they stayed consistent from the beginning?
1 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry over the years

Post by PT7 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:32 am

Great question, Jay. I've read about those "certain years," which folk have labeled the "best" for other companies' production of firearms. Always interesting, and does serve as a "guide" to the quality and value of the product.

I've been a Henry fan just for a short time, only since 2012. But I've paid much attention to their products, their marketing prose, and especially their customer service (CS). In their web site's "about us" page, they state:
"Henry Repeating Arms takes its name from Benjamin Tyler Henry, the inventor who patented the first repeating rifle in 1860, known as the Henry rifle. There is no affiliation or lineage to Benjamin Tyler Henry or to the New Haven Arms Company, who sold the original Henry rifle from 1862 to 1864."
OK. So Anthony Imperato's dad, with his original creation of HRF in 1996, "disconnected" his new company from the original BTH company. From my perspective, HRF has been focused on creating lever-action rifles using the aura of the 1860s original Henrys. At the same time, "Made in the USA" and their quality rifles backed by excellent CS has not changed....but again from my perspective, only improved.

So I would answer your Q by saying, yes. Henry "has they stayed consistent from the beginning." And that consistency is closely tied with the goal of building the best quality lever-action rifles that they can. Hope that continues.
PT7
JayZuv wrote:I have noticed that with many firearms manufacturers, there are typically certain years for their guns that are more highly regarded than others. Although HRA isn’t as old as many, has that been true with them as well? Has there been changes to the firearms since they began, or have they stayed consistent from the beginning?
2 x

~Пока~

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks PT7, your thought are similar to mine. I know the older Henry’s were made in Brooklyn, and I would have to assume there might be slight differences between those and the Bayonne/Rice Lake models. I have never seen a Brooklyn made Henry so I can’t compare the two, just thought it would be interesting to hear others input
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 am

I happen to have a Bayonne made 30-30 lever action, which must have been made just before center fire production was shifted to Rice Lake. As a mid production model, it needed an updated lever to eliminate a minor "lever popping issue", which, as we've come to expect, Henry's Customer Service handled in a matter of a couple days (mail from Rice Lake to my place doesn't take long ;) ). I'd say Henry has continued to improve their products as they've gone forward. I bought that rifle as "new old stock" at a clearance price, mostly due to it's spectacular wood, but it's a nice rifle in every way.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:57 pm

I would venture to say that is somewhat true of Henry too. I don't know across their entire product line, but the gen1 .30-30 and .45-70 had mag tube and lever popping issues that were corrected in their gen2 versions. From memory, I think the new gen2 builds started in early 2017. As for CS, CS reads to have been excellent and consistent from the beginning. For example anyone sending in a gen1 .30-30 or .45-70 was getting it retrofitted to or replaced with a new gen2 at no expense to the rifle owner.

Aside from that, Henry has had splashes of outgoing quality issues from time to time that have been covered exceptionally by their excellent CS.
JayZuv wrote:I have noticed that with many firearms manufacturers, there are typically certain years for their guns that are more highly regarded than others. Although HRA isn’t as old as many, has that been true with them as well? Has there been changes to the firearms since they began, or have they stayed consistent from the beginning?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:12 am

I believe Henry only make the Classic, Goldenboy and pump the first decade. They have only been making centerfire rifles the last ten years.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 am

Sir Henry wrote:I believe Henry only make the Classic, Goldenboy and pump the first decade. They have only been making centerfire rifles the last ten years.
Hold on a minute...only making centerfire the last 10 years.
Are you kiddin me??
They have been making them a lot longer than that.
I have a 44 mag. from '07, and was drulling over them way before that.

Now if your speaking about CF rifle calibers, I'm not sure when they started those.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:17 am

Vaquero wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:I believe Henry only make the Classic, Goldenboy and pump the first decade. They have only been making centerfire rifles the last ten years.
Hold on a minute...only making centerfire the last 10 years.
Are you kiddin me??
They have been making them a lot longer than that.
I have a 44 mag. from '07, and was drulling over them way before that.

Now if your speaking about CF rifle calibers, I'm not sure when they started those.

RP
Then they have been making centerfire 12 years.

Edit: Henry introduced the Big Boy in 2003 so they have been making centerfire rifles for 16 years.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

Wrong again.

Henry entered the centerfire rifle market in 2001, when it introduced the Big Boy short lever action for magnum revolver cartridges. The original Big Boy, now called the Classic, comes chambered in .44 Magnum/.44 Special, .45 Colt and .357 Magnum/.38 Special. They feature hardened brass receivers with brass butt plates and barrel bands and are supplied with 20 inch octagon barrels. These beautiful rifles weigh 8.68 pounds and are priced at $900.

Looks like 18 years.
Found on the internet, so it has to be true. :lol:

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:42 am

I can’t even remember how old I am half the time.

No centerfire Henry’s are in the 2003 & 2005 Gun Digest and that is how I remember it. Now how old did I say I was?

Not to change the subject but I can’t remember important events in my own life.
3 x