Henry Rifles @ Walmart

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry Rifles @ Walmart

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:47 am

Mistered wrote:
The main issue I have is their policy of not allowing customers to work the actions on the Henrys, no problems with the Marlins.
What is the stated reason for not allowing action operation on the Henry's ?
0 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:34 pm

I walked through a Walmart in central Illinois yesterday and saw three Henry USA lever action rifles in the case. They have two .22 LR models, one Golden Boy and a dark colored receiver model. They also have a brass receiver 45-70. The prices including tax are on par with ordering from Bud's Gun Shop and paying a local FFL to receive a firearm.

The way politics are shaping up in Illinois, I may buy the Henry 45-70 while I still can.
0 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Flinch wrote:I walked through a Walmart in central Illinois yesterday and saw three Henry USA lever action rifles in the case. They have two .22 LR models, one Golden Boy and a dark colored receiver model. They also have a brass receiver 45-70. The prices including tax are on par with ordering from Bud's Gun Shop and paying a local FFL to receive a firearm.

The way politics are shaping up in Illinois, I may buy the Henry 45-70 while I still can.
That might be wise living in Illinois. I lived there for 20 years. ;)
Think I still have my FOID. Even buying ammo was a process. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:41 pm

We have a small Walmart near us and they have about a half a dozens Henry’s. Bought my carbine 22 cal from them, the price was right.
0 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm

I bought my H001 at our local Walmart last year and they still carry quite a few. Unfortunately, unlike some parts of the country, ours doesn’t sell gun on close out prices.
0 x

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Mistered wrote:
Mistered wrote:
The main issue I have is their policy of not allowing customers to work the actions on the Henrys, no problems with the Marlins.
What is the stated reason for not allowing action operation on the Henry's ?
SHORT ANSWER: Store policy
BACKGROUND: All the Henry’s have an orange plastic loop with a simple, small, flat, nickel sized keyed lock running through the lever and around the grip. It’s different than the larger lock that comes with the rifle. This is in both Walmarts and the rifles are in locked cases. I had never held a Henry before and thought this was the way they came from the manufacturer. Perhaps others can confirm this.
The store policy states that the lever cannot be unlocked prior to purchase. I and others told them their policy didn’t make sense. When it was just the clerk and me, I told him there was no way I would ever purchase one of their Henry rifles without having worked the action. Also, why could we work the Marlins and not the Henrys. Although he was afraid he would get in trouble, he understood the logic. I convinced him to unlock and work the action for me then asked him to hand it to me, which he did. I ended up purchasing it.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:50 pm

I told him there was no way I would ever purchase one of their Henry rifles without having worked the action.
Glad to read you held your ground on this.
It is unconscionable for a store to expect a gun to be sold without the customer being able to operate the action - which would preclude a bore and barrel inspection as well.
My argument would be is if the store is selling an item then it should be available to be inspected completely and without reservation - and if this is 'store policy' what would be the reasoning for NOT allowing it with firearms?
Do they restrict inspection of say kitchen knives, hammers, baseball bats or anything else?
How about prescription drugs? Do they ensure you know what is exactly being filled for your prescription?
Food for thought.......
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:55 pm

Mistered wrote:
I told him there was no way I would ever purchase one of their Henry rifles without having worked the action.
Glad to read you held your ground on this.
It is unconscionable for a store to expect a gun to be sold without the customer being able to operate the action - which would preclude a bore and barrel inspection as well.
My argument would be is if the store is selling an item then it should be available to be inspected completely and without reservation - and if this is 'store policy' what would be the reasoning for NOT allowing it with firearms?
Do they restrict inspection of say kitchen knives, hammers, baseball bats or anything else?
How about prescription drugs? Do they ensure you know what is exactly being filled for your prescription?
Food for thought.......
Kudos Ed!! Could not agree more!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:08 am

Kudos Ed!! Could not agree more!!
Thank you for your understanding of the obvious parallels with this....
1 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:35 am

shootinthecinders wrote:We have two Walmarts in my city; one is a super Walmart. Both stores carry Henry and Marlin levers. The Henry’s have always been the Big Boy Classics and Golden Boys. The inventory moves fairly quickly. The main issue I have is their policy of not allowing customers to work the actions on the Henrys, no problems with the Marlins.
It seems odd that they would let you work the action on one rifle, but not the other.
1 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers