Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bowed Hammer Extender

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Bowed Hammer Extender

Post by ESquared » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 pm

A couple months back, I picked up the new ambidextrous hammer extender from HenryPride (I think they're made by Carlson) and put it on my 357BBS. From the start, it has refused to stay put, no matter how hard I torqued the set-screw.
Now, it seems to have actually bowed. See pic. I don't recall it looking like that out of the box, but maybe it was.

Any idea what's going on here? It isn't like it's been subject to crazy recoil forces or anything?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Bowed Hammer Extender

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm

all of the ones from Carlson I've seen are built like the one in this link ===> https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... d1442.aspx .... from your picture it appears one of the walls (for lack of a better term) has broken .... that could easily weaken it to where it would bend
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 pm

ESquared wrote:A couple months back, I picked up the new ambidextrous hammer extender from HenryPride (I think they're made by Carlson) and put it on my 357BBS. From the start, it has refused to stay put, no matter how hard I torqued the set-screw.
Now, it seems to have actually bowed. See pic. I don't recall it looking like that out of the box, but maybe it was.

Any idea what's going on here? It isn't like it's been subject to crazy recoil forces or anything?
That aint right Esquared. I got this one; works for right or left. Have not used it a whole lot but seems very solid with mild thred locker on it.
20181201_111131.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 pm

Amazon is my friend ....too often...the wife says. :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm

markiver54 wrote:I got this one; works for right or left. Have not used it a whole lot but seems very solid with mild thred locker on it.20181201_111131.jpg
that looks like the one we've put on 3 Henry rifles .... it only extends to one side .... we've found it comes in mighty handy in helping cock the hammer when a scope is mounted on the rifle
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:50 pm

I hope he gets one of them....hey... Esquared...just kidding. Made in USA though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 pm

d... straight, Wood Village, Oregon USA. :!:
markiver54 wrote:I hope he gets one of them....hey... Esquared...just kidding. Made in USA though.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Extenders don’t need to be so tight you bend them. As I tighten the screw I wiggle the extension until it sits in the groves of the hammer.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm

ESquared-

Mine did the same thing. The center cut cannot standup to the inertia of multiple hammer drops. Both "ears" bent forward. Henry offered to repay or replace. I just got the single sided one pictured.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:43 pm

From Carlson's website, the Henry BB specific extender looks like it has a single wall.
http://www.choketube.com/accessories-pr ... der&mf=400
Carson Henry BB Hammer Extender 2010 and Later.JPG
JEBar wrote:all of the ones from Carlson I've seen are built like the one in this link ===> https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... d1442.aspx .... from your picture it appears one of the walls (for lack of a better term) has broken .... that could easily weaken it to where it would bend
esquared wrote:bent?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234