Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anthony Imperato -- response to cracked stock issue

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Anthony Imperato -- response to cracked stock issue

Post by PT7 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 am

I'm one of the "wood lovers" on our Forum. I like most all woods, wood products & projects, and especially like our Henry walnut stocks. In following the recent "Stock Warning" thread http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4843 and seeing the photos of cracked stocks, I decided to write to HRA Pres. Imperato about the concerns shared by some Forum Folk. It took just a short time to hear back from him this morning...about 11 minutes! I also noted that DanAtHenry was unaware of the issue, and he mentioned Dan in his answer, as well. Here is what he wrote:
Anthony Imperato <anthony@henryusa.com>
To: Bob
Today. 29-Nov-2018, at 6:16 AM
Thank you very much for your ongoing support and concern. I certainly appreciate it and I am extremely grateful. When you use high quality American walnut with good grain, and the individual gun boxes are thrown, dropped, and tossed by UPS/FedEx, they are prone to damage from the shock. We expect to see this number spike during the fall holiday season. There is nothing inherently wrong with the stocks. We have taken steps to improve our packaging as well. Of course if a stock breaks we replace it at no charge. I will bring this to the attention of Andy Wickstrom our VP/GM and Dan who is the Director of Corporate Communications. Dan will address the forum as well. From the numbers of replacement stocks shipped compared to 300,000 guns being shipped it is a very insignificant number – that being said, we want it to be close to zero.
PT7
9 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Anthony Imperato -- response to cracked stock issue

Post by ESquared » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 am

Mr. A. is usually on it in situations like this, and I don't blame him for playing the "shipping damage" card; FedEx/UPS volume spikes, everything speeds up and the level of care goes down.
It's also encouraging to hear that they're working to improve the packaging, because what they have going on now provides next to no protection from such real world abuses.
The fact that one of our members had such issues with multiple rifles in totally separate incidents is disturbing, but I take it as a statistical outlier. Given HRA's volume in wood-stock long guns, I'm inclined to give 'em credit for knowing what they're doing when it comes to designing, sourcing and manufacturing a butt-stock.
But, most of all, WAY TO GO, PT, for taking the bull by the horns! Let's see if "Dan" weighs in.
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:55 am

Nice job PT and Ive said it before and I will say it again. Its not very often you get a response from the top of a major company like that. Another reason I continue to support Henry
5 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am

Sorry, can't say much for a response that passes the buck, like that. If I had a stock on a pistol caliber rifle that cracked while firing the gun, as one owner reported, I would find it insulting. A better response would have been a thank-you for binging it to our attention, we'll look into it, and so on. Leave the shippers out of it.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:16 pm

I have received dozens of shipments from different sources over the last five decades where the item was broken in shipment. So the fact that is where the damage happens does not surprise me.

So X number of stocks were broken out of 300,000. What is X? Is it 50, 500, 5,000 or even 50,000. Without knowing what X is I can’t make a fair judgment.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41 pm

I kinda agree. However, cracked while firing could still have been latent unnoticed shipping damage. Since one of our members had this happen on more than one firearm recently, common cause could be the local delivery folks.
North Country Gal wrote:Sorry, can't say much for a response that passes the buck, like that. If I had a stock on a pistol caliber rifle that cracked while firing the gun, as one owner reported, I would find it insulting. A better response would have been a thank-you for binging it to our attention, we'll look into it, and so on. Leave the shippers out of it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Many years ago I helped my good friend move from Waycross Ga. to Lakeland Fl. He insisted on buying me a new rifle so I said a Savage 99-358. The first rifle shipped to my local gunstore had a badly broken buttstoke. U.P.S. had to eat that one but the next one was fine. I still have it. My friend passed from cancer about five years ago so the Savage is one of my memories of him .
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:42 pm

the individual gun boxes are thrown, dropped, and tossed by UPS/FedEx, they are prone to damage from the shock. We expect to see this number spike during the fall holiday season.
oh great, something new to consider .. :roll: .. UPS is due to deliver our BBS 44 Mag tomorrow .... after reading the above from Anthony, you can believe that I'll take a very close look at the shipping box before I sign and let the driver leave ... ;)
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 pm

and the stock soon after....
JEBar wrote:oh great, something new to consider .. :roll: .. UPS is due to deliver our BBS 44 Mag tomorrow .... after reading the above from Anthony, you can believe that I'll take a very close look at the shipping box before I sign and let the driver leave ... ;)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:53 pm

absolutely
0 x