Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

shot the mag tube right out of the rifle!

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: shot the mag tube right out of the rifle!

Post by GFK » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:06 am

mrguvna wrote:does the small pin in the hanger hold the mag tube in? looked to be in place but maybe it is broken as I have not tried to do anything just yet as I just got home late last night. will get photos and post here and send to Henry.
I think the answer is yes. The pin I was referring to is part of the brass inner tube. From the pictures, it appears as the outer tube is moving. That is a new one for me. However, I have only had my Henry just over a year now. It may be something simple. But, a moving magazine may not be good during recoil. So, I would probably contact Henry as well and let them certify the safe operation of the rifle.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 am

Back to Rice Lake. What you have there isn't right, but Henry will make it so.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 am

The pin looks proud on one side but is that enough to let the tube move forward?
Well if its offset enough to not index with the groove in the tube this could be the case.
Tap out the pin and take a look at it and see if you can determine anything and try sliding the tube forward.
If I recall the tube is also secured at the bottom by the forward screw in the bottom of the receiver.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 am

Looks like the pin is used as a wedge against the top of the mag tube to hold it in place. Not the best design for holding a mag tube. A split band with a set screw in place of the pin would be a better design. Have to agree with everyone else, send it to Henry for repair.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am

Looks like the pin is used as a wedge against the top of the mag tube to hold it in place.
There is a radius in the tube that the pin indexes in to secure the tube. It does not just 'wedge' against the tube.
A split band with a set screw in place of the pin would be a better design.
It would be difficult to to utilize a split band at this point due to the close proximity of the tube to the barrel and with the band dovetailed to the barrel.
The pin/tube groove system has been used successfully since nearly the beginning of the tube feed lever action rifle.
1 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Hey Mistered:

I have submitted a warranty issue with Henry so instead of messing with it I would like them to see how it failed. I will educate myself on the breakdown and cleaning while it is away. Can't be too much different than the marlins and I have enough skills and understanding of the rifles to repair and maintain a bunch of them.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Got a picture?
Mistered wrote: There is a radius in the tube that the pin indexes in to secure the tube. It does not just 'wedge' against the tube.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Got a picture?
No I do not but I'll remember to take one for you next time I have my Henry apart for cleaning.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Would be good to have that. Trying to collect pictures and info details that are not commonly available about how the various Henrys are put together. The pinning of the mag tube/band is the type minutia being gathered.
Mistered wrote:
Got a picture?
No I do not but I'll remember to take one for you next time I have my Henry apart for cleaning.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:03 pm

The pinning of the mag tube/band is the type minutia being gathered.
Heck pop your tube out and look at it. Only takes a couple minutes and not a bad Idea to give it a good cleaning and ensure the bottom portion (where it goes into the receiver) is clean with no rust.
Punch the pin out of the mag tube support, remove the forward mag tube retention screw out of the trigger guard plate and slide it out.
It ain't nuthin' but a thang!
I had a heckuva time getting the tube out of my 1966 100 year Commemorative Winchester a couple years ago. It had a little rust and was stuck pretty good. Took some penetrating oil and a little tapping with a punch but it came free. I sanded it smooth and put a light coat of lithium grease on it when I reinserted it into the receiver. Sanding removed the blue but it can't be seen and the bottom end needed a little smoothing up to fit back in the receiver smoothly.
0 x