Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

shot the mag tube right out of the rifle!

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: shot the mag tube right out of the rifle!

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Ya thanks, I can do that with my Henry .30-30. But not all Henrys are held together is the same way from some of the pictures I've been able to find. Yes, there are methods common between different the Henrys.
Mistered wrote:
The pinning of the mag tube/band is the type minutia being gathered.
Heck pop your tube out and look at it. Only takes a couple minutes and not a bad Idea to give it a good cleaning and ensure the bottom portion (where it goes into the receiver) is clean with no rust.
Punch the pin out of the mag tube support, remove the forward mag tube retention screw out of the trigger guard plate and slide it out.
It ain't nuthin' but a thang!
I had a heckuva time getting the tube out of my 1966 100 year Commemorative Winchester a couple years ago. It had a little rust and was stuck pretty good. Took some penetrating oil and a little tapping with a punch but it came free. I sanded it smooth and put a light coat of lithium grease on it when I reinserted it into the receiver. Sanding removed the blue but it can't be seen and the bottom end needed a little smoothing up to fit back in the receiver smoothly.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 am

update I have a return label and will be sending the gun back on Monday.
0 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:55 am

THIS JUST IN!!!!!
Henry customer service is unbelievable! About 7 days ago they received my rifle. They replaced the barrel, the mag tube, sent it back in an original box with serial number, felt sleeve over the brass receiver and the rifle clean. Also a note from the president thank me for my purchase. it just does not get any better than that.

I am a Henry customer for life now!

Thank you all you folks at the Henry factry for your attention to detail in my issue! A stellar company!
3 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Great to hear. All firearms have issues from time to time, but it’s how Henry deals with these issues that really sets them apart!
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 pm

it does appear that they also re-designed the front hanger, no pin in this one.
0 x

Jimi
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Jimi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Mags wrote:.
Got a picture?
Mistered wrote: There is a radius in the tube that the pin indexes in to secure the tube. It does not just 'wedge' against the tube.
GFK wrote:Contact Henry is a good call. I recall such a thing happen with someone on this forum that had an All Weather. As I recall, Henry replaced the tube with one that had a longer pin.
I just took one back to Cabelas. Wasn’t supposed to mess with it, as it was a Christmas present. Did anyway. Couldn’t get the mag tube out without extreme effort. Henry sent me another tube—-same thing of jamming about an inch before fully seating. This apparently happened from initial test fire. The outer tube is too light a material to handle the load leakage, causing it to deform, and others have said theirs fell apart. I have a Henry .45 magnum that is great, but the 45.70 needs a retrofit.
1 x

Jimi
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Jimi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 pm

mrguvna wrote:Ok I am new to Henry's and am not sure what caused this to happen. I bought this rifle a few weeks ago and have enjoyed shooting it with Winchester White box ammo. I have gotten fairly good out to about 120 yds with iron sights and am very pleased with this rifle.

something happened yesterday when I was shooting it. when I went to eject a round it jammed. I opened the end of the mag tube and dumped the ammo and got the jam out of the receiver. what I noticed is that the mag tube was clearly 2-3 inches forward of the muzzle of the barrel and the mag tube clearly scratched the blueing off.

I am familiar with my Marlins and seems the mag tube is secured by a forearm (front band) screw and the mag tube is notched. I have not taken this rifle apart yet to clean so I cannot say how these are secured. What could have caused this problem?

I will post pics tomorrow and yes I have already contacted henry Customer service waiting on a reply.

this is a Big Boy Brass in 44 mag H006
. Uh oh. Just noticed this is a 45 magnum—I took back a 45.70 that had tube problems. I thought maybe it was inherent to that one, but may be more far reaching.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Jimi wrote:I have a Henry .45 magnum that is great, but the 45.70 needs a retrofit.

first and most importantly, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... having one on the way back to Henry as this is being typed, I speak from personal experience in saying that for such issues if you contact Henry they will make it right .... please feel free to read and post often .... I'm looking forward to your future reports .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry rifles to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 154#p78154
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:26 pm

I'm not to sure about the 45 magnum .. :?: .. if its a Henry its probably a 45 LC which stands for 45 Long Colt
0 x

Jimi
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Jimi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 am

JEBar wrote:I'm not to sure about the 45 magnum .. :?: .. if its a Henry its probably a 45 LC which stands for 45 Long Colt
I type too fast—.44 Mag, not 45.
0 x