Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Would love it, if Henry Arms would build a

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Would love it, if Henry Arms would build a

Post by Mistered » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 pm

I initially answered the original question with 1873 Winchester- and would like to add the 1886 Winchester as well.
The 1886 was a game changer in the world of lever action and had a very strong action for the larger cartridges it was chambered for.
It was also a beautifully made rifle with some being downright elegant. I have held a couple originals and would love to own one if possible.
Last edited by Mistered on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:44 am

I had a Winchester 71-348 for several years. As some of you know the 71 was an updated and strengthened 1886. . It was the smoothest lever action made. I reloaded for it using cast and jacketed bullets and shot it a lot. I finally sold it for four times what it cost me. I now have a Savage 99-358 and to me it is a lot better hunting rifle with it's rotary magazine that can use pointed bullets and the 3x9 Nikon scope on it. The 1886 is a very expensive rifle to build and there is no real advantage over the Long Ranger. I don't think that it would be a good business move for H.R.A. to build an 1886 type rifle. There are so many imports of this action and the market for them is only so big. To make one in the U.S.A. the price would be so high that all the folks that want one would say too much $$$.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:44 am

I don't think that it would be a good business move for H.R.A. to build an 1886 type rifle.
Probably not - along with the 1873 I previously mentioned.
Winchester (Miroku) is already making both and regardless of the 'M' word the quality is excellent and they seem to sell well regardless.
Personally it's the only reason I do not own one but every time I look at one at my LGS (and it winds up selling) I may be 'weakening' and might be loosing my resistance!
I really want an 1873 and might have to take a look at my own policy of 'one out for one in' - or in this case two out for one in. Not that I really need to but in the last several (many) years I have increased my collection somewhat and some selective 'culling' may take place!
2 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:38 am

I used to target shoot, compete and PLINK with a Glock Model 19. Thousands of rounds - no issues. Good gun as my other handguns and rifles were too. (I never owned a shotgun. I thought about getting one as some of you may remember. I changed my mind there.)

I knew and still know plenty of people back east and out here who still use a 9mm for those same things plus they TEACH people how to shoot with a 9mm handgun. NRA and other classes. I almost bought a 9mm rifle back east when my late husband was still alive too.

I liked and still like combination caliber firearms or firearms that share ammunition.

The Glock 9mm was my first handgun when I first started to buy and shoot my own firearms in the late 90's.

I used to shoot about 10,000 rounds in CF (Various calibers.) and RF (Way, way more in 22lr but some in 22wmr too.) firearms on an annual basis.

I do not own, carry or shoot handguns due to my arthritis in my older years.

I still shoot a 22lr rifle with NO scopes and standing up too. I am still a good shot at 68 years old too.

HENRY should build what Mr. Anthony chooses to build. It is his company. He supports the RKBA, builds firearms and puts AMERICANS TO WORK! Thank you, Mr. Anthony!

I don't consider what TYPE OF FIREARM or a SPECIFIC CALIBER more 'evil' or capable of doing a dirty deed because of what it LOOKS LIKE or what ammunition it fires.

The firearm is an inanimate object with NO pulse of it's own. The firearm can be used for many purposes just like any other tool.

Blame the bad guy NOT the gun if the bad guy aka criminal decided to use a gun in a criminal act. I don't see trucks and cars being banned or considered to be evil because of their size, color, weight load, horsepower, etc. because the perp used one in an attack.

My husband still loves to shoot his HENRY rifles in 30-30 and 45-70!

Cate
Typos!
Last edited by Catherine on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:45 am

PS:

I never considered any of my firearms tactical either.

My late husband and my Montana born/raised husband never considered their guns tactical or even USED THOSE TERMS with any of their rifles or handguns.

Cate
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:50 am

Mistered wrote:
You don't hunt with a 9mm semi-auto & few people use them as plinkers.
While I can understand Henry avoiding building semi autos for your supposed stated reasons (however I don't get the 'people-killing magazine' part) there are a LOT of 9mm carbines in use for plinking and small game/varmint hunting and the 9mm is very adequate for this.
Out of a carbine the 9mm round shoots very flat, and accurately to about a 100 yards or so and for small to mid sized game and varmints is superior to a .22 LR.
Rugers' recent introduction of their re-pop PCC has changed the 'playing field' by offering a high quality, reasonably priced 9mm carbine in a traditional design - and popularity and sales of it are incredible.
The 9mm round offers reloaders a wide variety of bullets and it can be loaded very economically and even store bought ammo is one of the lowest priced compared to all other ammo.
My PCC shoots VERY accurately - beyond my expectations actually and I am sure if I fitted a scope 50 yard accuracy would be nearly one hole - or close to it anyway however for my intended use the stock barrel mounted peep sight is working well.
IMG_1198[1].JPG
Good post and thanks for your 9mm rifle report.

Cate
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:57 am

Maybe HENRY could make a single shot rifle in 9mm.

Cate
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:05 am

Maybe HENRY could make a single shot rifle in 9mm.
A lever action in 9mm would sell very well. This is often mentioned on other forums.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:36 pm

Remember that the 9mm headspaces on the front edge of the cartridge just like the .45 A.C.P. I think that it would call for some very precise chambering of a lever rifle barrel and there are some semi auto carbines made in that caliber and some of them use pistol magazines. I don't think that a lever gun in 9mm would be worth the tooling expense but I could be wrong. I wouldn't buy one but then I have never been too fond of the 9.
0 x

DPris
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DPris » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Might be helpful to consider that what YOU consider any given gun to be doesn't matter.
In a politically motivated environment, semi-auto rifles have been demonized by a hostile press, along with evil hi-cap mags.

Imperato's product line reflects, as I've said, recreation and hunting.
Nobody's going to take a Golden Boy to a bank robbery, nobody's gonna take a Long Ranger to a school massacre, and nobody's gonna take an AR7 .22 semi to a Vegas hotel during an outdoor musical concert.

The small percentage here who say they'd only use a 9mm semi-auto Henry for fun don't outweigh the potential risk, and centerfire semi-autos are simply an area Imperato has no interest in.
Denis
1 x