Observation - Most Popular Centerfire Calibers

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Observation - Most Popular Centerfire Calibers

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:44 pm

GFK,
The .357 magnum caliber may not be the number one seller in the Henry line, and that's really okay. But it is a fine rifle that they make. And I know you've noticed how many Henry members have and enjoy their Big Boys....myself included.

For many reasons, your consideration of a .357 is right on. Especially as you said, "fun to shoot." And I think if you chose a Henry over other brands, that would be an added plus! Let us know if you join the Henry .357 BB group....enjoy the gun hunt. :)
PT7

GFK wrote:I have been considering a 357. I have not shoot a 44 mag. But, I guess people prefer shooting them out of a rifle than a handgun. I could be wrong. But, it seems like the recoil in a handgun could be challenging to deal with on a continuous basis. So, a 357 make be more fun to shoot in a handgun or rifle. Just my 2 cent.
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:27 pm

GFK wrote:I have been considering a 357. I have not shoot a 44 mag. But, I guess people prefer shooting them out of a rifle than a handgun. I could be wrong. But, it seems like the recoil in a handgun could be challenging to deal with on a continuous basis. So, a 357 make be more fun to shoot in a handgun or rifle. Just my 2 cent.
I've fired some full power loads in 357 handguns that had considerable recoil .... load them with 38 Spl loads and it tames them right down .... much the same is true with the recoil of full power loads in a 44 Mag when you load them with 44 Spl ammo .... with Henry rifles, there is a bit of an increase in recoil between 357 and 44 Mags but that increase isn't anywhere near excessive .... use Cowboy Action loads and they mellow out
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 am

Aw come on. :D

We all know the reason the .44 is the most popular 8-)

What I can't remember, though, is whether I fired five rounds or six..........but then again........LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:53 am

Many of you have probably already seen the video referred to in this article, but, if not, it's pretty interesting. I never knew of Paul Harrell until recently, and, while he's no Hickock45, he's informative (if quirky).
Great thread, very informative to hear everyone's $.02 on calibers.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/07/02/w ... ever-guns/
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 am

From the standpoint of reloading ammo the .357 has always made more sense to me as I can reload .357 for about 2/3 to close to 1/2 the cost of .44 mag. Also being as I own a couple of .38 Special only revolvers this does not inhibit reloading as the same dies are used.
Iv'e only owned one .44 Mag, A Super Blackhawk, and it really shot well as long as I kept the loads on the 'lighter' side.
I shoot more than anyone I know (I probably average 500+ rounds a month) and the .357 fills this bill well.
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Such an interesting thread, as it intersects so much other content here on the forum. There's the other thread about .22 being "my favorite caliber" (or words to that effect), and this thread started out about the popularity of the .44 Mag in the world of Henry ownership.

And then there are the ".357 guys" (and gals), and the .41 advocates, etc.

I think the .22LR is great and it's cheap and it hones my skills, but, in many ways, it's hardly like shooting, especially after years of handguns, from 9mm to .257Sig to 45ACP (with some .40S&W on the side). It's so fun, but pretty tame. Not to belittle it, because it's still lethal, I get that.

I came back to the rifle world and to Henry due to a lifelong friend of mine who bought a BBS in .357 and crowed about it. A year or so later, I bought one and have loved every round. Maybe more fun than 22 because it's more challenging and there's more to tame. But not so wild that one has to worry about a sore shoulder, right?

Hard to pick a favorite round right now. Maybe my answer today would be "the last one I shot at the range."
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Being as I'm new to centerfire lever guns in revolver calibers, I had an absolute hoot shooting my BB Brass at the range yesterday. Mine, as some of you know is the .357/.38spl with the 20" octagon barrel. To say it was a pleasure to fire .38's or .357's would be an understatement. Taking my wife to shoot it over the weekend cuz I KNOW it won't beat her up. She'll like that. She isn't much, if at all into guns, but, she thinks the BBB is "pretty". I'm glad I stumbled across this one. Pure joy.
Now, about that BBS in .45Colt. :)
3 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:46 am

I’ve got a .44 Ruger Carbine and a .45-70 JM 1895GS and I REALLY want a BBS or CCH in .357. I bet I’d seldom shoot the other two if I get one. I’d like to sell one of them to fund the .357 purchase, but I’d really have a hard time deciding which one would go. Dilemma...
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:52 am

Popularity (of anything) has never been one of the criteria that influences me. Availability, performance, quality, reliability, and similar factors carry far more weight in my decision making.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 pm

I would have never thought there were that many different 44's.
I would have thought the 22's would have had more models.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012